4.0 out of 5 stars Filthy Rich in Detail
Published on 2 Mar 2010 by Angelika Devlyn

3.0 out of 5 stars present
I bought for my wife as stocking filler last Christmas. It was apparently an OK read but nothing special and not a book that will be read over and over
Published 7 months ago by Andrew Jones

4.0 out of 5 stars Filthy Rich in Detail, 2 Mar 2010
This review is from: Dark Obsession (Black Lace) (Paperback)
With her boss, Martin Wells, retiring in three years, interior designer, Annabel, is told to take on client, Lady Corbett-Wynne, single-handedly in order to get in practice for when she will take over the whole business. Embarking on her first solo adventure, Annabel discovers that beneath the delightful dinner parties and the lavish splendour of Leyton Hall the wealthy aristocratic Corbette-Wynne family and their loyal subservient staff are a façade for what is really going on.

Crucially, the characters in this book work wonderfully together as an upper class, sexually deviant ensemble. Young lovers, the Honourable Crispian and his stepsister Tania, have an insatiable appetite for each other and anyone else they can involve. Their philandering father, with a fetish for being dominated, has a penchant for riding not just the horses but willing female stable grooms. The Lord's frigid wife is, unbeknown to him, not immune to the sins of the flesh when the right person comes along, namely Sir Mathew Stevens, who has a way to charm even the most coldest fish out of her knickers, giving the Lady Corbett-Wynne a taste of what's missing in her life. While amazed, Annabel takes it all in her stride and is willing to have a go at anything new, which in her case is just about everything. How could her life ever be the same again?

This story is filthily rich in detail, intense and infused with a sense of fun and these are defining qualities of an outstanding tale, which quickly puts Dark Obsession in a class of its own. A very naughty read, just what I'd expect from Fredrica Alleyn and Black Lace! I'll definitely be checking out more of this author's work. Who'd of thought one family would have so much fun?

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of variety. Something for all fans of erotica, 18 Dec 2009
Misqué (North West, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Obsession (Black Lace) (Paperback)
This was my first read from this author and I daresay I will be buying more of her books in the future. There are lots of characters in this book and lots of graphic encounters involving BDSM, menage-a-trois, sex/party games and a lot more. I think this book probably has something for everyone. The main characters are fairly well developed but the story could have been improved if the author gave a bit more insight in the beginning into connection and obsession between the step-brother and sister as I didn't really feel the chemistry between them jumping out at me like i think it should have been for the relationship between them to seem more believable. That's one reason I've given it 4 instead of 5 stars but to be honest it wasn't a big issue in the end, I just think it would've added that bit more.

On the odd occasion I found the pace a little bit too fast for me but on the whole the story runs at a nice pace so you don't find yourself getting bored and waiting for the "juicy" bits. Far from it, in fact I thought the way the author moved from smoothly from one hot scene to the next was perfect. Quite often you are literally jumping from one steamy encounter to another and I found the way it was written it seemed effortless and flowed really well so I was constantly hooked. There were a fair few little twists and turns that I didn't expect to pop up which is always nice. As the relationships between the characters got more and more complex and entangled I found myself wondering how she was going to end the book. I thought she did a good job with the ending and tied everything up nicely which was pleasing.

All in all this book is a must for fans of erotica. If you want a quick moving story with page after page of steamy encounters and graphic sex scenes in a variety of situations with a variety of characters then you won't be disappointed with this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great erotic read against a background of decayed decadence, 10 July 2009
K. J. Beverstock (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Obsession (Black Lace) (Paperback)
I've just finished reading Dark Obsession, and now I can't wait for the next Fredrica Alleyn reissue. I missed her books when they first came out - I was too young! - so I'm very pleased they're being re-printed. I'm amazed at how explicit the early Black Lace books were. For some reason I imagined that they were probably watered down versions of the later ones, but this is most certainly not the case with Fredrica Alleyn.

Dark Obsession is totally different from the two Cassandra novels, but just as erotic and enjoyable. It has a slightly softer edge to it, so people who found Cassandra too extreme may prefer this. I loved both the Cassandra books, but still enjoyed this, because the sex scenes are seriously hot, the story is interesting and as usual the entire novel is character driven. I must say that I do like my erotica to have interesting characters, ones who aren't simply cardboard cut outs, and Dark Obsession has a lot of great characters. Apart from the heroine, Annabel, there is the entire aristocratic Corbett-Wynne family who live at Leyton Hall, the family seat for generations, and their friends. The background of decayed decadence is terrific.

Fredrica Alleyn is very good at creating darkly perverse characters, and in this book the step-brother and sister, Crispian and Tania, are the two who fit this profile. SM and bondage, and some incredibly arousing and unusual sex games abound in the book, and the theme of delayed gratification - which features strongly in the Cassandra novels - is here as well. Innocence corrupted is also a big turn on, and the only fault I could find with Dark Obsession was that it ended too soon - or perhaps I just read it too fast!

I'd expected to give this book four stars, but once again Fredrica deserves five. Now I'll have to wait until The Gallery is reissued for my next fix. Mind you, there are plenty of other Black Lace novels to read in the meantime, thank goodness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - could not put it down, 22 May 2014
Loved the story line from the very first moment. The book manages to keep your attention and hits you between the eyes with the erotic encounters through out. Characters are interesting and add spice to all the juicy elements.

Loved it!

3.0 out of 5 stars present, 30 Nov 2013
Andrew Jones - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Racy, 28 Oct 2013
Mrs. Janell Michie (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Obsession (Black Lace) (Paperback)
How do I rate this? Well this book is very adult in nature and will get you blood pumping.Not for the faint hearted or on the bus.

4.0 out of 5 stars book, 18 May 2013
this book was a good read as it was not boring but on the other hand a little predictable . but then what else do you expect form erotica

4.0 out of 5 stars black lace, 12 May 2013
I have read this a few times and it gets better every time I read it, one of black lace's better stories

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 28 Feb 2013
Not her best, but still a good read

Good English countryside romp

Well written and dark undertones

Still one of the best of this genre

5.0 out of 5 stars good, 18 Sep 2012
This review is from: Dark Obsession (Black Lace) (Paperback)
This is a very good book and is well written. It as a story line that goes with other books that I have read.

Dark Obsession (Black Lace)
Dark Obsession (Black Lace) by Fredrica Alleyn (Paperback - 4 Jun 2009)