4.0 out of 5 stars love it but...
Published 7 months ago by Canuck

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting a bit repetitive ...
I've been waiting for this book since I first read Dark Guardian in Gabriel and Francesca's story, way back in book seven of this series. Skyler came to them as a damaged young girl, but, it seemed, with a pre-destiny to be a lifemate to one of the Carpathian men, who had a link to wolves.

Here we are, eighteen books later, and her story is now being told...
Published 6 days ago by Lorraine Sears

4.0 out of 5 stars love it but..., 11 Jan 2014
Canuck (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Wolf ('Dark' Carpathian) (Paperback)
have looked forward to Skyler's story since her introduction to the series and felt the story lived up to my expectations. My only complaint is the 20% (according to my Kindle) that is a repeat of the Carpathian chants/ history/ vocabulary that have accomplnnied that last half dozen books- bring an end to them or drop the price 20% to make up for it. I don't buy 6 copies of any book why would I want 6 copies of a chapter?

5.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully many more in this style, 15 Jan 2014
J. H. Martin - See all my reviews
When I first started reading the Dark Carpathian series I ordered each book as soon as available. Over the last couple of years I have only purchased when I couldn't find anything else to read. For me the books were more sex than romance and had `lost something'. However in Dark Lycan I felt the style went back to the first books so I immediately bought Dark Wolf. I am not sorry I did. I thought the story line and portrayal of Dimitri and Skyler were excellent, improved on even more by that the fact that they were so many old and new characters. The `plot' is set for many more books - I hope these are in the same writing style as the last two.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant sequel to Dark Lycan, 8 Jan 2014
This one of the longer books in the 'Dark' series and is fairly packed with action. At first I thought the whole book would be taken up with Skyler's rescue of Dimitri, but it proved to have a much longer and more complicated plot which will enable Christine Feehan to extend this series while keeping it fresh. And, it was nice, for a change, that a 'human' female actually outsmarted both Carpathians and Lycans alike and managed to do what all the ancient Carpathians couldn't!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have, 8 Jan 2014
Wow!! This book is amazing well worth the money! You fall in love with the characters all over again. Skylers such a inspiration in this book. It makes me want to read the whole series again! I love the way the plot unfolds and the surprises that happen.
Definitely a must have in your collection. I would recommend reading the book where skyler in rescued first x

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 9 Jan 2014
absolutely amazing couldn't get enough of it didn't ever want it to finish Christine feehan has done it again her books just keep getting better and better waited so long for this one and definitely wasn't disappointed

3.0 out of 5 stars Getting a bit repetitive ..., 24 Aug 2014
Lorraine Sears "Redlorry" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Here we are, eighteen books later, and her story is now being told. We've met Skyler and Dimitri in previous books and due to Skyler's disturbing past as a child sex slave, I always wondered how CF would bring her story out, consider all her books are filled with romance and erotic deeds.

I was a little bit let down that more than anything their story took so long to get going, and Skyler's connection with Dimitri was talked about so repetitively that I wondered if she'd ever get beyond his rescue--from the scenario set up in Dark Lycan. But after seemingly taking her time for the new couple, considering Skyler's troubling past, and the fact she was only 19 years old, once the couple reached a certain point it was business as usual. And there was nothing different about them than any other Carpathian couple.

I have loved the Carpathian series ever since I first discovered it, and I have bought every book as and when it was released (in paperback). CF has managed to see her way through some massive plots within the series and cleverly invented new dilemmas to keep challenging the Carpathian race. But I do wonder if now is a good point to break with the series, as despite the new larger plots, the writing in each book; the relationships and the action, all follow the exact same blue print.

With the release of Dark Blood already slated for Sept 2014, I am torn. There's a taster at the end of Dark Wolf which I have so far refrained from reading. But at the end of this book there's also all the normal translations and Carpathian culture, which I know from reading other people's reviews hardly anyone reads and everyone finds frustrating as they want more story rather than lessons in Carpathian. Dark Wolf is no different in this respect either; the story ends abruptly and leave a rather sour taste when you consider there are over 50 pages remaining which could have been used to give us more Skyler and Dimitri.

I am on the brink of falling out of love with this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 10 Jan 2014
Couldn't put it down it was a brilliant story line and the fact that skyler grew to b a confident women is fantastic

3.0 out of 5 stars Repetitive., 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dark Wolf (Dark 25) (Hardcover)
Skyler Daratrazanoff always recognized the miracle that was Dimitri Tirunul, a man beyond any dream that had ever engaged her nights. But Skyler is human....vulnerable, nineteen and destined to age and die. Dimitri is Carpathian, ancient, and nearly immortal. But she holds half his soul, she's the light to his darkness, and without her, he will not survive.

Dimitri is caught between the two warring species and has spent centuries hunting the undead to keep his people free and the humans safe. When other's have chosen to give up their souls, he has chosen to fight honourably. Now, marked for extermination by the Lycans Dimitri finds himself alone and fearing for his life.

But Salvation is coming. No Lycan would ever suspect someone like Skyler would dare to mount a secret rescue operation. A teenage human girl. A human of untested abilities. But Skyler has something no-one else does. She's predestined for Dimitri....as he is for her. There is nothing stronger for Skyler than her desire to see her life dream to come true, no matter the risk.

I find myself hesitant to type this review. I enjoyed the other books, I haven't read all of them, but I've read enough of them. Fans have been waiting a hell of a long time for this book, and so I don't think my comments will be appreciated. I just felt disappointed with this book.

It's gotten to the stage where there are so many books in this series, they probably can't help how repetitive they are. The plot and it's action is very repetitive from the other books, the romance was only meh instead of "omg wow". I find myself reluctant to continue this series at this stage with all the repetitiveness.

The romantic set up is different in this book, as our couple already know each other and are already in love with each other. Skyler's past childhood abuse is the tension in this romance, and if it will allow her to have a sexual relationship with Dimitri, rather than the much done hating the "mate" status and fighting it that is present in most books with wolves. Skyler's reactions and feelings and past where dealt with sensitively, with respect and realistically.

We had some humour in this book which is usually lacking in the others. Skyler's relationships with Paul and Josef add the humour that is needed to break up the action of the book. Other fans will appreciate seeing previous characters, for example Gabriel and Francesca, Skyler's adopted parents, and Fen amongst others.
The Lycan Civil War plot has been building now for a few books, and is the main part of the plot of Dark Wolf. There's tonnes of action and fight scenes, with as I previously mentioned, some humour interspersed.

My main issue with Dark Wolf is the repetitiveness. There's so much repetitiveness with the chants, the descriptions of the sex scenes as well as the action scenes where the same, and there's so much overuse of the made up Carpathian language and words that just wears you down when it comes to the 25th book. The world doesn't evolve, the series is like one long book. I wanted to love it, but I just found myself bored and a bit tired.

I feel I should also mention that the intensity of the relationship was gone. All of the interesting stuff about Skyler and Dimitri was missing. Dimitri who previously would have freaked out and been all over protective if he knew she was going to enter a Lycan camp to save him, he was intense, but the Dimitri in this book was just kind of....blah. He was half hearted when telling her not to come and get him. I find myself skimming alot of the boring filler scenes, and that leaves me with not alot left. It was just...boring. And ended very abruptly. There was an opportunity to use angst and emotional turmoil for Skyler that was never taken.

Dark Wolf was a huge disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars predictable, 19 Feb 2014
D Karim (luton, uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dark Wolf (Dark 25) (Hardcover)
Good, but these dark books are getting a bit predictable now. Something different needs to happen or bring in another human from oitside the carpathian world

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series, 15 Feb 2014
I'm a fan of this author and have really enjoyed this series. It's hard to review something that is an auto buy for me as I would buy these books regardless of price or hype. It's a series that has inspired many imitators and although the Carpathians in these books are not strictly vampires there's definitely a lot of blood taking involved!
This book gives readers the story of Skyler who has been a character on the fringes previously but now steps up to try and save her man. What a man Dimitri is! He's known for a long time that Skyler is his destined life mate but has never claimed her. Instead he's waited for her to grow up but has forever been there as a part of her life whenever she needed him. Now Dimitri is in trouble and no one seems to realise that this could be the end for him. Skyler will undertake a journey to save him but in doing so she may just help save all those that she loves . Treachery is closer than the Carpathians realise and war looks to be imminent .
I have really enjoyed this series but will admit that I started to get a little disenchanted as sometimes they started to feel too similar . I'm so pleased that the author has injected a new breath of life into them and the more recent tales have opened up a world of possibilities. Yes we still get the sexy bits but the world building has expanded to include additional species and newer characters. As for the characters I loved seeing the younger ones step up and start to shine. Those arrogant ancient Carpathians sometimes need to realise that humans , females and those they consider to be children have a lot to give and luckily in this story that's just what happens.
The plot is set to continue I feel as Ms Feehan has set things in motion with this story that will need to play out. As usual the writing and editing is excellent but I personally would like a little less "chanting" but that's a minor niggle. A series that's probably best read in order if I'm honest but certainly not to be missed.

Dark Wolf ('Dark' Carpathian)
Dark Wolf ('Dark' Carpathian) by Christine Feehan (Paperback - 7 Jan 2014)
Used & New from: 6.77