4.0 out of 5 stars The Scoundrel's Seduction, 27 May 2014
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Scoundrel's Seduction: Number 3 in series (House of Trent) (Paperback)
The Scoundrel's Seduction is the first Jennifer Haymore novel I've read and the second since discovering that, yes, I actually quite like Regency romance! While I didn't enjoy it as much as Sarah MacLean's Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake, it's still a good read and a nice introduction to a different side of Regency England.

Sam Hawkins is an undercover agent with orders to assassinate Viscount Dunthorpe, a very powerful, traitorous man. Little does Sam know that Lady Elise Dunthorpe witnesses his supposedly secret order, and he's left with no choice but to take her prisoner. So begins a game of seduction that will leave Sam and Elise getting closer to each other, but could secrets lurking beneath the surface tear them apart?

The Scoundrel's Seduction focuses on undercover agents and men with dangerous jobs rather than just rakes who do nothing but fence all day. It's a different take on this period in history and not one I was familiar with before - I never really thought that these well-to-do men would run around killing people instead of simply looking for a suitable wife. I liked this aspect of the story and the idea that all this could have been happening behind closed doors while always being shrouded in secrecy and out of the public eye.

Sam and Elise are good characters to get to know, and I warmed to them straight away. Sam has lot of family troubles that are explained as the novel progresses, while Elise has a lot more to her than meets the eye. Their romance is one that naturally progresses and never feels forced, and their devotion to each other is apparent with every exchange of words. There's not quite as much romance as I was expecting actually, due to there being a lot more going on in the story. Not that it's a bad thing, of course!

I haven't read the previous two books in this series, titled The Duchess Hunt and The Rogue's Proposal, and I don't think it affected my reading experience at all. No doubt more of Sam's family history is mentioned/explained in earlier books, but I don't think they're required reading in order to enjoy and understand The Scoundrel's Seduction. It stands on its own two feet quite nicely, introducing Sam and Elise and the very different lives they lead.

All in all, The Scoundrel's Seduction is a good read and one that I'm sure historical romance aficionados will enjoy. I personally would have liked more romance and more humour, though I'm no expert when it comes to this genre and all the tropes it employs. I'm definitely going to be reading more Regency romance in the near future and I might even check out the first two books in this series. I'd like to know more about the Trent family and what they got up to in the past, so I think The Duchess Hunt will be next on my to-buy list!

3.5/5

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014
Brilliant book. I love this series. The only problem is waiting for the next one to come out

The Scoundrel's Seduction: Number 3 in series (House of Trent)
The Scoundrel's Seduction: Number 3 in series (House of Trent) by Jennifer Haymore (Paperback - 27 May 2014)