Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 October 2013
I was excited about the release of this book after reading Babycalm and with my daughter now 15 months and well and truly a toddler, this couldn't have come at a better time.
I was not disappointed, it is just brilliant. It just makes so much sense and I would urge anyone who has anything to do with kids to just buy it and read it.
Whenever I am in a book shop I take this book off the shelf and put it in front of the Gina Ford books 😉
If you are sick of 'Supernanny' style advice, the old one-size-fits-all parenting and that ridiculous naughty step, then get this book.
I am an early years teacher and now a mother of a toddler, and I can honestly say that when I eventually go back to teaching, this will also change the way I do things and the way I view young children.

This book will completely change your viewpoint of toddlers-how they see the world and what everyday life must be like for them. I am sure that following the advice in this book will do what it says on the cover...
on 7 May 2014
Fab book. Bought the kindle version and refer to it often. If you ever get the chance to go on the toddler calm course do it. It's also fab!
on 20 January 2015
I haven't read the whole book yet but so far the first half of the book is too vague and not directive enough. The concept of understanding why a toddler behaves the way they do and trying to put yourself in their shoes is great but sometimes as a parents it's quite nice having a bit of direction with little tips on how to react to your child. Little tips on what to say to them. How to teach them to be safe. It seems to imply that you must just keep everything you don't want your child to do out of reach but that's not always practical outside of the home so sometimes you need to teach them the boundaries of safe and unsafe. Perhaps it is in the second half of the book but it hasn't motivated me enough to read that far yet. I will persevere! Also, being a scientist myself her counterarguments for evidence against her teachings and the example of evidence she uses are inadequate.
on 12 May 2014
A brilliant insight into a toddlers world and practical, reasonable advice. The best book I ever bought on raising toddlers.
on 10 October 2013
I went on the course earlier this year ran by Madina Barker in Liverpool. It was fantastic and really helped my husband and I deal with our little boy (2 next month) I recommend the book and the course
on 6 November 2013
This book is fantastic. Makes so much sense and helps you to understand your little one's feelings moods, and emotions.
on 31 December 2013
Excellent advice for any loving parent sick of dog training for kids! Very informative and easy to read. Super duper
on 30 April 2014
I have a one year old daughter but wanted to get ahead of the game on toddler-hood as I don't particularly enjoy being the 'bad guy'. This book was educational in an interesting and engaging way and taught me a lot about the physiology of toddler brains and psychology which will be useful in understanding the reasons behind the challenging behaviour.

The only part of the book I didn't really agree with was the section on sleep as I had to sleep train in order to get my baby to nap and get more than two consecutive hours sleep myself. The book is anti sleep training which is a little irritating but other than that I found it really useful.
on 14 November 2013
I loved the ToddlerCalm book for many reasons. It explains so much about the toddler psyche that allows you to not only understand how your toddler's brain is working, but how you can help your toddler get through this tricky stage. It has helped me to believe that being empathetic towards my toddler is not only allowed but is beneficial! But also that this sort of parenting isn't 'permissive' parenting, as many would have me believe. Ockwell-Smith writes very clearly and though I never thought I'd say this about a parenting book, it's a real page-turner! A great book that gives confidence to a gentler kind of parenting. Thank you :-)
on 20 July 2015
This book changed my parenting style and changed my life in ways I couldnt even imagine. That may sound a bit strong, but having read so many parenting books and tried to implement things half heartedly this was a book that spoke directly to me. We now have a much calmer, happier household because I am not stressed, I understand my 3 toddlers more, do not have unrealistic expectations of them, am kind to them, hardly ever shout or raise my voice, am kind to myself and my husband and it all started here. Highly recommend for those who want a loving approach to parenting.