Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 October 2013
Quite a devious plot. The characters were well written.
This is the second Higashino novel I have read and was every bit as good as The Devotion of Suspect X.
on 19 September 2013
I loved the first book and was surprised that it lived up to expectations to be a similar read to Steig Larrsson, amazing book with an amazing ending :)
on 7 June 2013
Like the first Keigo Higashino I read ("The Devotion of Suspect X") this is an excellent crime novel with fascinating characters, a clever plot and an excellent translation from the Japanese original - i.e. not using as many Americanisms as most English translations do.

I also have a fondness for the character of Detective Utsumi - I can see the actress Kou Shibasaki in the TV series (and film based on the Suspect X novel) so clearly. Professor Yukawa (nicknamed Detective Galileo by Detective kusanagi, his school friend from years ago) seems a little different in this novel than the previous one, but still comes across as somewhat removed from what he sees as mundane human interactions (in the TV series this is more evident), which makes his sparring with Utsumi so much of a joy to read.

It's unfair to compare Higashino with Stig Larsson - they have nothing in common other than having their work translated.

I'm yet to finish the novel, but it's gripping and holding me in its thrall... can't put it down.
on 12 September 2013
So So clever, unputdownable ! read it within a day and left me wanting more. Highly recommend Suspect X too
on 8 December 2012
I am a fan of the author but felt it didn't rate 5 stars. I enjoy books by this author as different from the usual suspense, murder, mystery. Book couldn't put down, good read.
on 12 April 2013
I was apprehensive before starting this book as the reviews were not great. I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Simple prose but still beautifully written with a touch of dry humour. The identity of the murderer is no secret but how the murder was committed this is the book about.
on 7 February 2013
I was drawn to this book having read the devotion of suspect x by the same author. I could not stop reading the salvation of a saint it was intriguing, had a steady pace and well rounded characters who were also in the other book.
on 9 September 2013
There is, thankfully, no violence in this crime story but a great deal of suspense from the very first sentence to the last. Also much psychological subtlety and many surprises. Highly recommended.
on 28 October 2013
it is a weird story, (A BIT OF SPOILER) in short time you meet literally 5 people and kind of know who to blame but no evidence, well written
on 14 March 2014
very good.keeps you on your toes.you think the person has done it but you,re not quite sure.so the ending is unexspected.