5.0 out of 5 stars If only we had listened then
Also wrote "A Guide For The Perplexed" which is excellent. This book captures the problem we have today with the cash crisis in our Global Economies indeed it could be said to have predicted them. Sadly with hindsight it could be said that Schumacher created them too.

Published on 21 July 2010 by TruthBeTold

3.0 out of 5 stars Cover and intro different to my first purchase
I'm still enjoy reading this book, but not sure if this copy is original or reprinted version because cover and intro sure feel and look different to my first purchase. Wished I could get my other copy back.
Published 9 months ago by C. Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars If only we had listened then, 21 July 2010

Schumacher started his rise to fame as an "Enemy Alien" during the Second World War in England, having fled Germany rather than live under the Nazi's he was imprisoned in the UK because he was German. Despite this he wrote a paper (Multilateral Clearing) whilst still a prisoner which the famous economist John Maynard Keynes realised was brilliant. Keynes got him freed and a post at Oxford but then presented Schumacher's paper to the UK Government and it became a white paper which eventually led to the formation of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the many ills that it has since perpetrated on the world.

Despite this Schumacher goes on from being an orthodox Keynesian Moneterist to be the exact opposite. He publishes this book and others culiminating in A Guide For The Perplexed. All of these books expound a very different view of economics that put people and morals at the heart of sound economic decisions and show that you can still be in business and not be a "person of illegitimate birth" ;-)

For its age it is remarkably prophetic of the current world and how we got here. With hindsight it is easy to see he was right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this - change your thinking, 5 Jan. 2010
Andrew Francis "anmchara" (Haydon Wick, Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Small is Beautiful: A Study of Economics as if People Mattered (Paperback)
I first read this book when I was a teenager in the 1970s. It changed my thinking - about the world, about economics and even the way I should live.

This is (about) the eighth copy of the book which I've bought. I keep lending them to friends who pass them on. It's because Schumacher follows through some Gandhian ideals about economics, community and co-operative living in localised, decentralist, highly practical ways. Just buy it and read itSmall is Beautiful: A Study of Economics as if People Mattered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small is beautiful, 19 Feb. 2014
Schumacher's philosophy is still relevant today and I agree with him that small IS beautiful in contrast to the gigantic corporations of today. I really believe this book to be an important statement on economics - although I am not an economist myself

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 5 April 2013
Schumacher's economic outlook can be considered ahead of his time, in that his personal views evolved from that of being an industrialist to an autonomist. Not just another hippy convert, Schumacher writes well and has a compelling argument.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 26 Feb. 2014
The book is amazing. What Schumacher described many years ago is such an accurate description of todays problems. The product was in an acceptable condition although it said it would be good but I'm not too bothered about that

3.0 out of 5 stars Cover and intro different to my first purchase, 27 April 2014
C. Morris "Plenty Love" (London UK) - See all my reviews

Small is Beautiful: A Study of Economics as if People Mattered
Small is Beautiful: A Study of Economics as if People Mattered by E.F Schumacher (Paperback - 1 Jan. 1988)
Used & New from: £0.01