4.0 out of 5 stars Wind strength 2, steady, calm
Published on 14 Oct. 2012 by G. Page

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best
Loved the authors other books but honestly struggling to be engaged with this one. As another reviewer says, some interesting content but lacks oomph!
Published 3 months ago by Russell Bowden

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Wind strength 2, steady, calm, 14 Oct. 2012
G. Page - See all my reviews
I'm a fan of Mr Connelly's books and looked forward to this one being published. It's basically a series of chapters about the various components of the weather, eg wind, snow, fog etc being amongst the themes. The book is researched in detail in places, with interesting back up anecdotes about pioneers like Beaufort and Fitzroy. There were, I felt some rather weak sections where the author tried to persuade the reader about the personal influence aspects of the weather had had on him. I was surprised that the book made so little reference to events and people in "Attention All Shipping", Mr Connelly's previous book where he visits the sea areas of the Met Office forecast. Overall, I didn't find it a thrilling read, but a comfortable and generally engaging one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun way to find out about weather, 11 Sept. 2012
Uncle Barbar (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I really enjoyed this book. It's a fascinating, humorously written mixture of weather-related science, weather trivia and amusing weather anecdotes. I didn't know much about meteorology when I started and found myself being educated whilst I was being amused. I was interested to read that St Swithin's only claim to fame was reconstituting a few eggs. I enjoyed Connelly's wry style of writing: "After roughly 1,000,000,000 years - I think it was on a Thursday - the earth began to cool." This would make ideal reading for anyone with even a cursory interest in meteorology who also wants something entertaining the read. It would also make a good gift for trivia buffs too. It's a firm recommendation from me.

4.0 out of 5 stars A 15 minute chapter via the car radio & I want it, 12 Sept. 2012
I chanced upon a chapter of this book on the car radio this morning and am hooked. Lots of interesting information wrapped up in an engaging writing style which might possibly be slightly light for real weather addicts but not so that you wouldn't want to know more - so I'm off to buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good book, can highly recommend, 25 May 2013
This is the third Charlie Connelly book that I have read, and it is just as good as the others. I think that his writing style is great, he manages to be interested in the subjects he writes about, informative and the prose is lightly scattered with humour.

[book:Attention All Shipping A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast|1450050] was loosely about the weather, and FitzRoy, but for this book he has concentrated on the weather, and our relationship with it. He has split the chapters to cover different weather event, rain, snow wind and so on.

Each chapter has anecdotes and characters from the history of weather forecasting, significant weather events and also his personal feelings and interactions with the weather.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun and information, 20 Aug. 2014
Very enjoyable, peopled with various obsessive Victorian scientists and crackpots, written in Connelly's inimitable style. This is the third book I've read by this author and I've loved them all.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not his best, 14 Jan. 2015
Russell Bowden (UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Laughed out loud., 8 Dec. 2012
Now I know a great eal more about the weather.
Charlie Connelly has a neat sense of humour.
I will read more.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed reading this book which revealed a lot of information ..., 11 Feb. 2015
G. Colville (Hertford, England) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed reading this book which revealed a lot of information about out weather that I didn't know. The book also contains some short biographical sketches of several men who investigated different aspects of our weather, which I found very interesting and informative. I would recommend this book as an interesting read to anyone who would like to understand more about our weather etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read, 26 Jan. 2014
I enjoy charlie connelly's writing style and his quirky approach to his subject matter. It is light and easy to read through but always entertaining. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRING ME SUNSHINE, 23 Nov. 2013
Funny, entertaining, but most of all historically informative. This is the second book of Charlie Connelly's I have read and will be looking for more in the future.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Bring Me Sunshine: A Windswept, Rain-Soaked, Sun-Kissed, Snow-Capped Guide To Our Weather