5.0 out of 5 stars There for the grace of god..
Marcus Berkmann's often hilarious, laugh out loud observations of middle class, middle age angst rang a worrying amount of bells for me. Most concerning however were the observations that didn't quite ring true.. yet. Mind you, being a little younger than the author I imagine it is simply a matter of time.

Some of the 'loife' subjects covered are pubs...
Published on 1 Mar. 2012 by M. Clark

3.0 out of 5 stars man's bunker
I bought this for my husband after enjoying reading an article about it in the Daily Mail .
Whilst my husband enoyed most of it he did not enjoy the foul langauage .
Published 15 months ago by electro99

5.0 out of 5 stars There for the grace of god.., 1 Mar. 2012
M. Clark "big_fish" (London) - See all my reviews

Some of the 'loife' subjects covered are pubs (mega-genius), anger, envy, decrepitude, progeny, matching/dispatching, laziness, dribbly willies, sports (no ping pong though), dosh, ear hair (oh lordy lordy lord), oldies, the good old grim reaper and erm.. quite a lot about bus journeys.

The book jacket should really have some kind of 'Government Wife Warning' as the contents within is generally female unfriendly but in a good way - if such a thing were possible which in this day and age of political correctness clearly is not. Obviously.

Read it and weap with laughter whilst concurrently raging at the dying of the light. Who says men cannot multi-task?

5.0 out of 5 stars This book will damage your health, 18 Feb. 2012
Melanie G (Oxfordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I should perhaps explain. Married to a man of a certain age, the sidelong glances I was throwing in his direction whilst reading this book have given me aching eyeballs and the hint of a squint. This, combined with constantly trying to stifle a chuckle and biting a tongue desperate to mutter 'that's you, that is' in a Newman & Baddiel fashion have rendered me a mass of ticks and twitches.

I loved it. I recognised almost all of the symptoms in my fellow sofa-dweller, and am now prepared for those that will almost inevitably manifest themselves over the next few years. As for me, I'd always prided myself on avoiding the slightest whiff of old-fartage, but I now have to shamefully recognise that I'm not quite as fragrant as I'd hoped. Reading the observation that no-one uses the word 'slacks' any more just twenty four hours after I'd said exactly the same thing did it for me.

Buy it for yourself, and buy it for everyone you know over the age of 45. They'll thank you for providing them with evidence that they are not alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Speaking Truth Unto Middle-Aged Men, 18 Sept. 2012
Like others, it seems, I was drawn to this book by the Radio 4 abridged reading. It might seem that everything has already been said - in humorous non-fiction at least - about the hapless, obsessive, over-reaching, under-achieving, slightly autistic middle aged male. Ever since the memoir Fever Pitch (and its follow up novel Hi Fidelity) the publishing world has welcomed perceptive, well-observed, entertaining dissections of what it means to be a 40-something bloke in a post-generation gap age. Some accounts have been more successful than others, but as a connoisseur (and perfect target reader) in this area, I have to say that Marcus Berkmann's masterpiece really sets the benchmark. It is almost addictively compelling and so hugely generous and likeable that it never once slips into self-pity or self-aggrandisement. It is self-deprecating without a shred of pessimism, it is accepting without ever being resigned. It simply sparkles with jewels of knowledge, experience, insight and wit. The extraordinary acceleration of time, the shocking encroachment of body hair, the puzzle of marriage, the challenge of children; all these and many more subjects are tackled in such expertly crafted and winning prose that even with a final chapters about death you finally put the book down, reluctantly accepting that you've finished it, and actually feeling really rather cheered up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Radio 4 Book of the Week in months, 5 Feb. 2012
This is a hysterically funny book about midlife, full of wisdom, jokes and some profound thoughts too. Marcus Berkmann is one of my favourite writers and I think some of the Amazon reviewers have seriously misconstrued this book. There isn't even a whisper of misogyny in here. And those angry little men who though it wasn't funny ought to have a serious examination of their sense of humour... it could be that middle aged grumpiness has dispelled it completely. This is a delightful book and it will make the perfect present for every dad, uncle, cousin, granddad, and a great guide for their wives and girlfriends. Now at last we can peep into the minds of middle aged men. I cannot imagine a more frank or witty account of life in the middle years than this. And now we know what goes on in those garden sheds!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ironic, 24 Jan. 2012
I found the Radio 4 reading so engaging that I thought I'd like to read this superb satirical book. Whilst preparing to download this to my kindle I read a very negative and angry one star review. It's all in the eye/ear of the beholder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shed of my own, 25 Feb. 2012
This is an excellent book for those of us in "middle age". The first half is a tongue-in-cheek review of attitudes and reactions to the changes in life as men approach their later years. The second half is more serious, but nevertheless a very perspicacious analysis of the impact of the way life has treated men, and how they react to it. Altogether, it is a good commentary on men's lives, and well worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Journey to tthe Heart of Darkness, 10 April 2012
Fishbonealice (Belfast, California) - See all my reviews
This is a must-read for anyone creeping towards the wonderland that is middle age, or anyone wishing to understand what it's like to live there. But beware: this is not just a light-hearted journey. I've rarely, if ever, read a book that had me weeping with laughter on one page and weeping with despair on the next. For among the wit and one-liners are many insights in to the inherent tragicomedy that is midlife. Admittedly that is probably because, at 50, I see my own life on every other page. But if you are, say, 30, to read this is to see your future mapped out like never before. Paradoxically, it's all rather comforting.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's me!!, 6 Feb. 2012
Sadly recognise myself in every page - and I thought I was the only one thinking all those thoughts. But with lots of laughing out loud! What more could you want. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just me then, 14 Feb. 2012
Robert Carr - See all my reviews
With its lightweight, easy-to-read prose, it would be an easy mistake to write this off as a holiday read, or a novelty book to give as a gift. But this is a fine little narrative on modern life. I suppose I'm in the ideal demographic for this book, so a lot of what Marcus has written strikes many chords with me, but the observations are brilliant, very funny and he raises some quite serious issues about finally growing up.
I'd certainly recommend this to any one over the age of 30: I think this is a great book that unlocks all the nonsense we hide away in our head. We're all unique, but - alas - very similar creatures.
Do the book justice and don't save it for the holidays. A book is for life not just for Christmas...

5.0 out of 5 stars A not so casual acceptance of middle age., 8 Mar. 2012
quazy wabbit (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
If you don't find yourself in there, you will if you live long enough. A wry but effectionate foray into the foibles of entering that most unforgiving of microcosms, the forties and onwards. Charmingly crafted whit with just the right amount of righteous indignation directed at both the young and old.

A Shed Of One's Own: Midlife Without the Crisis
A Shed Of One's Own: Midlife Without the Crisis by Marcus Berkmann (Paperback - 6 Jun. 2013)