4.0 out of 5 stars Much funnier than it says on the tin!
Published on 31 May 2011 by Louiseog

1.0 out of 5 stars boring & cliched
I've been reading this book for weeks - it is just so uninspiring, I can't be bothered to read it. The characters are all really stereo-typed and the actions are really cliched. The bell-ringing parts (about 50% of the book) are the worst, so tedious
Published on 11 May 2011 by Maz

4.0 out of 5 stars Much funnier than it says on the tin!, 31 May 2011
This review is from: A Surrey State of Affairs (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this story of family life, narrated by Constance in her blog. Her naivety is at the heart of the story as her family are growing and moving on. There are several plot twists that are obvious but not to Constance and some of her introduction to a new technological world including Facebook are hilarious. Then the crunch comes and it is strange but somehow works.
For me this was the story of what happens to a family as children grow up and move on, what roles there are in the family and how they change. What children can teach their parents, practically and emotionally but ultimately how we need each other however flawed we are.
This was similar for me in theme and tone to Dawn French 'Tiny Bit Marvellous'

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful lively read, had me laughing out loud!, 7 April 2011
This review is from: A Surrey State of Affairs (Paperback)
I think everyone knows someone like Constance. A wonderfuly funny read, just the type of pick me up book you need to get through the commute, had me laughing out loud on the train! Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable light read, 10 May 2011
This review is from: A Surrey State of Affairs (Paperback)
This is a very easy and funny book to read and kept me gripped on my holiday while I cringed at Constance's naivety and wondered at her "hectic" social life. The characters are fun and while very stereotypical of the Home Counties set, it is a tongue in cheek narrative so can't be taken seriously. A good, fun holiday read.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 25 Feb 2013
This review is from: A Surrey State of Affairs (Paperback)
excellent quality, arrived on time, not sure what else i can add but i am very satisfied with my purchase

4.0 out of 5 stars Funny and well written piece of 'outraged from' blogging, 11 Sep 2012
D. L. Price "cider_dave" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Surrey State of Affairs (Paperback)
This really isn't my usual read at all (I tend to go for Pratchett, Tolkein, Agatha Christie) so wasn't really expecting much, but I got it with a cheap selection of books...

And I really liked it. It was nicely written and the blog style of the book was well done.

The randomness/silliness of the main character's life is ramped up as the book goes along and this plays well with her middle england sensibilites.

Don't quite know if it's done enough to make me switch generes permanently, but was a nice surprise and a pleasent change.

1.0 out of 5 stars boring & cliched, 11 May 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars instant comic classic!, 5 May 2011
Rachel J (Exmoor, Somerset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Surrey State of Affairs (Paperback)
Ceri Radford is the freshest and funniest voice to emerge since...I'm tempted to say Helen Fielding, but it's more Stella Gibbons in the sense that the satire nips like a terrier, but the tone is warm as Aga-baked bread. A Surrey State of Affairs is a laugh-out-loud act of ventriloquism on the part of Radford: this started as a blog on the Telegraph that so accurately mimicked the preoccupations and humdrum routine of a sixty-something country housewife that many readers were gulled into thinking Constance Harding was real, and wrote in outraged letters of protest at the indignities heaped on Harding, a pillar of the community, in traditional green ink on Basildon Bond from Upton Gusset. The slip of a thing that is Ceri Radford - I predict - is the Next Big Thing and I hope that her next is well underway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 31 Mar 2011
This review is from: A Surrey State of Affairs (Paperback)
A SURREY STATE OF AFFAIRS is a funny, charming, thoroughly enjoyable read. Constance Harding is a treasure of a character and Ceri Radford captures the voice and spirit of the Surrey housewife brilliantly. Perfect as a gift or as a treat to enjoy at the end of a long week: consistently engaging, a pleasure from start to finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and brilliantly written, 6 April 2011
This review is from: A Surrey State of Affairs (Paperback)
A Surrey State of Affairs is a comic novel par excellence. It had me in stitches throughout. I am now bereft without Constance. Please write a sequel Ceri!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 9 May 2011
This review is from: A Surrey State of Affairs (Paperback)
So imagine Bridget Jones, 20 years on from where we last left her... that's the vibe of this story. If I was directing the film version I would have the wonderful Juliet Stevenson play Constance and reunite the partnership with Alan Rickman playing her husband Jeffrey (remember Truly, Madly, Deeply?). This book captures the same sort of humour as Bridget with the added bonus of being very well written. Really enjoyed it - bring on the film version!

ARRAY(0xafdef33c)

A Surrey State of Affairs
A Surrey State of Affairs by Ceri Radford (Paperback - 31 Mar 2011)
6.87