4.0 out of 5 stars A journey into his past, not just a travelogue.
Published on 2 July 2012 by William J. Whyman

3.0 out of 5 stars A book too far?
Thirty plus years ago I read Jupiter's Travels, and what a wonderful book that was, so when I saw Ted's book on Amazon about travelling around Britain, it was a definite must have.

However, I have to say - with great regret - that I didn't particularly enjoy it.

Published on 14 Sept. 2012 by Dave Bear

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A book too far?, 14 Sept. 2012

For one thing, it was a very limited tour of Britain, with a somewhat haphazard itinerary. But what dissapointed me in particular were some of his musings on the various towns and villages he visited, and the memories they evoked for him. Too many of them were rather mundane I thought, and at times rather boring, particularly the over long sections on Barrow in Furness and Belfast.

All I can say is I still have the highest regard for Ted's earlier work, but maybe, just maybe, this latest effort was a book too far.

PS: I also think it was rather expensive for a relatively short book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A journey into his past, not just a travelogue., 2 July 2012
William J. Whyman (France ( South West)) - See all my reviews
I'm a fan, not only because of the easy narrative which makes this book so readable, but also because Mr Simon is the man who inspired my ( and many others) motorcycling adventures. This is not just a travelogue, but also a history of his early background, his family struggle and his luck. In my opinion you have to read this book twice in quick succession, first as a light and sometimes very amusing history, but second time round with more depth and examination of his philosophy on those things that influenced his past and present. A short rant about religious views is both entertaining and incisive. Another great read Mr Simon- and as we say here in rural France 'Chapeau'.

4.0 out of 5 stars ted riding round the uk and ireland., 8 Jun. 2012
Yet another cracking read from Ted.
The book is basically Ted revisiting places and reliving memories from his younger days, before he moved to the US in 1968.
He also visits places he has never been to before,also he meets up with some old friends along the way.
The journey is not without a couple of minor problems en route.
If you read JUPITERS TRAVELS and DREAMING OF JUPITER, you will also enjoy this book.
I read the book in a couple of days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Ted, 19 Aug. 2012
Motty (Teddington middx) - See all my reviews
Teds at it again only this time on some sort of motorised wheel barrow ! He has a lovely ramble through The British Isles and as usual writes mostly with fondness for the country he left many years ago. A charming and often humourous look at the Britain of today. He is as observant as ever and laces the text with interesting facts. Despite having some celebrity status in the motorcycle world Teds feet are still firmly on the foot pegs . A relatively short book but none the less another great adventure.Ted I think is living proof that some of us cannot fit it all in one lifetime. If as he says in the closing passages he travels through England by canal boat I know he wil love it. I did. Further reading that I enjoyed Living the DreamSailing Alone Around the World

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Ted's Finest Work, 2 April 2013
A. Jackson - See all my reviews
I had read other readers' reviews, some of which were not that impressed with this latest offering from Ted Simon. Having read and thoroughly enjoyed all his previous chronicles, this tale was a bit of a letdown. For a start previous books had twice the number of pages and single line spacing print. This is double spacing, so we are only looking at a quarter of the content of previous offerings.

There was too much reminiscing over his youth and not enough detail about the journey. He jumped from place to place with little content about how he got there, apart from frequent mention of his Tom Tom. It was too autobiographical which may have been forgiven if more information about the journey had been forthcoming. Unlike Ted's previous Jupiter Travels and Return of Jupiter, there was very little humour this time; the sign of an older gentleman writer maybe? The best bit was the information gleaned from the taxi driver on his tour of Belfast. I agree with previous reviews, that Ted was not up to his usual standard but I wish him well in his retirement in Northern California for the pleasure he has given countless readers/bikers over the decades.

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant trip, 30 July 2012
If you are already a Ted fan - you'll like the mature, more leisurely Ted in this book too. Not much edge, more of an amble - a pleasant trip down memory lane, little episodes rather than an odyssey ( and one suspects a bit of a pension top-up volume for Ted ). But I love him and have enjoyed taking this little ride around the English countryside, villages and towns with him. Take it for what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good read and description of Britain, 23 Jun. 2013
I found this book well written and a pleasure to read. It truly shows a good portrait of Britain

This book is definitely for a Ted Simon fan. It is more about revisiting his interesting life, that is squeezed around war time Britain. So if you have not read Jupiter`s travels, than please read that first.

All in all, a very good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Exceptionally Enjoyable Read & Journey Round the British Isles, 27 Dec. 2014
I am a big Ted Simon fan, that said I still believe Jupiter's Travels remains his greatest work (his Sgt Pepper 's if you will).

However, I genuinely enjoyed this book: a clearly older and perhaps more reflective Ted travels the British Isles on board his little 3-wheeler. He delves into his childhood and visits places that bring back memories. I enjoy this aspect of his writing as you feel as if you are on the journey with him. There isn't much about the biking...apart from his understandable desire to avoid main roads.

He gives his interpretation into modern Britain and how things have changed as both a former resident and now Californian.

He remains one of, if not the, best motorcycle journey writer. He's never going to again repeat Jupiter's Travels. But that's okay...it makes his journeys nowadays more tangible for the rest of us.

3.0 out of 5 stars he doesn't like SatNavs, or Milton Keynes, 5 Sept. 2014
Well, he doesn't like SatNavs, or Milton Keynes, or Tunbridge Wells, so we agree on those. It's an extended Grumpy Old Man's moan of "It weren't like that when I were t'lad...". I got to the end, but my Missus didn't. Trouble with these books is, they become "ride a bit, go to hotel, eat in restaurant, sleep, repeat..." after a while. Excitement is getting a bit lost. Ted invented "adventure motorcycling" with his first trip and book, and it's nice to see him still riding.

3.0 out of 5 stars Calling Sancho Panza!!, 21 Sept. 2013
Devil's Advocate (Over your shoulder!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rolling Through The Isles: A Journey Back Down the Roads that led to Jupiter (Paperback)
Resembling Captain Mannering these days rather than the lean mean global traveller he once was, it's always a pleasure to be in his company even if it's just for a jaunt to a local pub!
Crotchety, bewildered and forever raging against the modern world, he just needs a Sancho Panza to gently guide him into that final great ride into the sky.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›