4.0 out of 5 stars A journey into his past, not just a travelogue.
Published on 2 July 2012 by William J. Whyman

3.0 out of 5 stars A book too far?
Thirty plus years ago I read Jupiter's Travels, and what a wonderful book that was, so when I saw Ted's book on Amazon about travelling around Britain, it was a definite must have.

However, I have to say - with great regret - that I didn't particularly enjoy it.

Published 22 months ago by Dave Bear

3.0 out of 5 stars A book too far?, 14 Sep 2012

For one thing, it was a very limited tour of Britain, with a somewhat haphazard itinerary. But what dissapointed me in particular were some of his musings on the various towns and villages he visited, and the memories they evoked for him. Too many of them were rather mundane I thought, and at times rather boring, particularly the over long sections on Barrow in Furness and Belfast.

All I can say is I still have the highest regard for Ted's earlier work, but maybe, just maybe, this latest effort was a book too far.

PS: I also think it was rather expensive for a relatively short book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A journey into his past, not just a travelogue., 2 July 2012
William J. Whyman (France ( South West)) - See all my reviews
I'm a fan, not only because of the easy narrative which makes this book so readable, but also because Mr Simon is the man who inspired my ( and many others) motorcycling adventures. This is not just a travelogue, but also a history of his early background, his family struggle and his luck. In my opinion you have to read this book twice in quick succession, first as a light and sometimes very amusing history, but second time round with more depth and examination of his philosophy on those things that influenced his past and present. A short rant about religious views is both entertaining and incisive. Another great read Mr Simon- and as we say here in rural France 'Chapeau'.

4.0 out of 5 stars ted riding round the uk and ireland., 8 Jun 2012
Yet another cracking read from Ted.
The book is basically Ted revisiting places and reliving memories from his younger days, before he moved to the US in 1968.
He also visits places he has never been to before,also he meets up with some old friends along the way.
The journey is not without a couple of minor problems en route.
If you read JUPITERS TRAVELS and DREAMING OF JUPITER, you will also enjoy this book.
I read the book in a couple of days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Ted, 19 Aug 2012
Motty (Teddington middx) - See all my reviews
Teds at it again only this time on some sort of motorised wheel barrow ! He has a lovely ramble through The British Isles and as usual writes mostly with fondness for the country he left many years ago. A charming and often humourous look at the Britain of today. He is as observant as ever and laces the text with interesting facts. Despite having some celebrity status in the motorcycle world Teds feet are still firmly on the foot pegs . A relatively short book but none the less another great adventure.Ted I think is living proof that some of us cannot fit it all in one lifetime. If as he says in the closing passages he travels through England by canal boat I know he wil love it. I did. Further reading that I enjoyed Living the DreamSailing Alone Around the World

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant trip, 30 July 2012
If you are already a Ted fan - you'll like the mature, more leisurely Ted in this book too. Not much edge, more of an amble - a pleasant trip down memory lane, little episodes rather than an odyssey ( and one suspects a bit of a pension top-up volume for Ted ). But I love him and have enjoyed taking this little ride around the English countryside, villages and towns with him. Take it for what it is.

1.0 out of 5 stars Badly written, 18 Jun 2014
A Very disapointing book, very tedious to read, a good subject made boring. The author wasnt able to hold the readers interest at all, Sorry but I didnt like it at all

5.0 out of 5 stars Ted Simon, 4 Jun 2014
This another good book by Ted Simon Rolling Through the Isles yet another excellet piece of writing by the much travelled Ted Simon of interest to people who travel espescially Bikers

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm, 10 May 2014
Having read Ted's previous books I was looking forward to this. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a great deal about the traveling . Not a patch on the travels.

4.0 out of 5 stars A interesting read, 24 April 2014
Good trip down memory lane, not so much about the bike this time, but a look at how the British Isles have changed over the last 50 odd years. Enjoyable read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Quite boring, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Rolling Through The Isles: A Journey Back Down the Roads that led to Jupiter (Paperback)
The name Ted Simon is bound to sell books.

Sorry to say this book was boring, unlike his other books.

Steve