Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: PaperbackChange

on 25 July 2010
The praise for the book jacket were phenomenal, as I expected as I adored the TV series as well as the films. I was looking for more of the same through purchasing this book - sadly I was utterly disappointed.

What Marie Claire magazine called 'bite-sized chunks of irrepressible irreverence', I call disjointed, barely legible drivel that reads as the ramblings of a teenage, gum-chewing bobblehead. It was confusing: it didn't have the format of a newspaper column so it had me questioning if it was a work of fiction and who was narrating it. I enjoyed Bushnell's The Carrie Diaries (1) - The Carrie Diaries but this has turned me off her other offerings.

This book offeres a lot to be critqued, such as the under-developed characters that don't allow for the reader to connect to them, to the sheer lack of hooking material. The only people who'd read this book cover to cover are those like me: who simply have to finish a book, no matter how bad.

To put it simply, it's the worst book I've read in my entire life! It's nothing like the snippets of witty, insightful writing Carrie types in the show. So if you want more of Carrie, turn to 'The Carrie Diaries', NOT THIS!
on 9 October 2013
It took me a while to get into this because it is a mile away from the series and even though I knew this came first, I was still expecting it to be like the series. But once you get over that, it is exactly what the blurb says, Jane Austen with martinis. It's funny in a very acerbic way, it takes no prisoners, shows no-one in anything resembling a nice light, there are almost no redeeming features. It's best read in small gulps like the articles it purports to be (or may be, I'm not sure, but I doubt it). It did make me laugh and cringe exactly as it was meant to.

However, it has dated, and that's more to do with the tv series than the passing of time (though that has a part to play). It's not nearly as explicit, in places it shies away from being so, but the topics, to an officianado of the series felt a little - well, stale, occasionally a bit boring. So in that sense, not at all like Jane Austen. I suspect this book's success was built largely on its shockability and now that it's gone. then - well, it explains why I had to get it second hand and it wasn't available on kindle, I suspect.

But for all that, I'm glad I read - an exercise in style with some really funny bits. Almost, in its own way, dystopian even.
on 17 March 2012
This book is honestly one of the worst reads of my life.

I bought it, like a lot of others, as I love the TV series. I wasn't expecting a written version of that, but I was at least expecting to see where the series had come from, to enjoy meeting all my favourite characters, and to overcome the shame (as a book worm) of not having read the book first!

How disappointed I was. I found the style to be poor and difficult to follow. The characters are fleeting and flat, and about halfway through it turns more into the Carrie & Big story. It's difficult to tell if the stories are in chronological order and there are too many people to keep track of. Most of the "articles" are random and meaningless, not the interesting, thought-provoking and insightful musings of the Carrie of the TV series.

The quotes on the cover are maybe about the TV series - they sure ain't about the book. The wit, humour and sex(!) of the TV series were clearly added by someone else as they did not come from the book!

The TV series is brilliant, and the book doesn't stand up to scrutiny in comparison, but even if you consider the book as a standalone entity, it's still a poor piece of writing.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is an interesting book. The style of writing however was not to my taste as it is based in little chunks that can't really be read in big sittings. Hence my title, I'm not being rude, but this is to be read a page or two at a time while you do what you've gotta do.
The characters are strong & well displayed & although I had problems with the plot not everyone will. My main problem was probibly that I'm a fan of the TV show. The style is very differnet & obviously well crafted, just don't expect to be swept off your feet.
on 5 July 2015
I love how Candace based her character Carrie on herself. I enjoyed her writing style, but it took me quite a while to get into the book as I don’t think I was expecting it to consist of many small anecdotes rather than the traditional novel style of just one story. I had to laugh at the reference to the ‘English Journalist’ at the beginning of the book
‘Then I realized, Of course: She’s from London. No one’s told her about the End of Love in Manhattan. Then I thought: She’ll learn.’
Speaking as an English woman, I wasn’t offended by her references and found the obvious differences between Americans and we English quite amusing. Of course my favourite parts of the book were the encounters between Carrie and Mr. Big. All in all the book wasn’t quite what I expected, but was a well written, funny and enjoyable read and I can see why it was made into a television series and then into several motion pictures with great success. Girl power!
on 7 January 2011
wow were to begin a total waste of time and money. Did not even read it to the end. Lacks the glamor, spontaneousness and glitz of the TV show and movie. Too erotic for my taste. Please people don't waste your money you will be disappointed.
on 26 September 2011
The story lines are banal, the writing is basic-in fact, I was most shocked by the inferiority of the writing- I dont know how this woman actually got anything published as a journalist- I dont know the quality of the column she originally worked on but you wouldnt see this calibre of writing in the Guardian or the Telegraph. It was amusing at times but the writing was so bad, I found it hard to get through it. Does Candace realise that there is another way to say, "she said" that is pretty well the only response in the entire book during dialogue- she said, he said... it makes one wonder what it really does take to sell a book- and just how many people you need to know to get it published.
on 11 April 2012
Have to be honest, although hate saying it but not what I expected at all. Was very disappointed with this book, found it very hard to follow and was very different from the HBO tv series.
on 15 February 2008
I am a die-hard SATC fan, but was sorely disappointed by this book. The writing is really poor- changing tenses and narrator-prespectives at will. Carrie, Miranda, Charlotte & Samantha are bit-parts in this book, they're not the central cast so if you want more of SATC, buy the dvd set or go see the movie- this book will certainly not give you what you need.
on 3 December 2006
If you are expecting something identical to the TV series then you probably would be disappointed, as the show is clearly only based on it. Carrie and Big feature a lot but Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha only appear a handful of times. If anything, this book made me cringe and feel less positive about finding my Mr Right than before I picked it up! It made me glad I don't live in Manhattan! However, I still would recommend it, it is a good, light read and humorous to say the least. Just don't let it put you off men completely, I'm sure there are a few decent ones out there!!!
0Comment10 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse