5.0 out of 5 stars Darker than expected
Published 18 months ago by Readerr

1.0 out of 5 stars what an unpleasant "surprise"!
Since I am a fan of the TV series, I treated myself to this book .....What a mistake !! The screenwriter is to be congratulated in making a silk purse from a sow's ear...the book is noticeably lacking in the wit and charm that pervades the series..Just a set of boring monologues ......
Published on 5 May 2003 by ygwragwen

1.0 out of 5 stars what an unpleasant "surprise"!, 5 May 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars Sex and The City - Nothing like the TV series., 26 Feb. 2003
Helen T (Leicester. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sex And The City (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of the humour and insight shown on the TV series Sex and the City. Unfortunately this book is nothing like it - just an inane selection of conversations with no apparent point or punch-line.
This book is poorly written and lacks the likeable characters featured on the TV series.
The many Americanisms and references to people only Americans have heard of, also makes it a difficult read for people outside the US.
My advice. Don't bother.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 1 Dec. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Sex And The City (Paperback)
I read the reviews on amazon before buying this book, but thought it couldn't possibly be that bad, believe me it IS! It was awful, stick to the tv series

1.0 out of 5 stars Sex and the city, 25 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Sex And The City (Paperback)
Boring. I am amazed, how such brilliantly entertaining series could be made on the basis of such dull material. If you love the series - do not read the book. You will be bitterly disappointed. I could not read even half of it, although generally am very fond of reading (and I DO NOT mean fashion magazines).

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful- I'd rate zero stars if I could, 7 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Sex And The City (Paperback)
Terrible, TOTALLY unlinke the television characters- the book is purely about how amazing Carrie believes herself to be, and unlike the series, the debates and questions raised are boring, or irrelevance and totally shallow. Nothing features about her friendships- Charlotte and Miranda are vaguely referenced once or twice, whilst Samantha is almost disliked by Carrie. The writing and grammer is utterly APPAULING, did she not think it worthwhile getting an editor? Unclosed quotation marks etc. To sum up, RUBBISH.

1.0 out of 5 stars a real let down, 9 April 2010
This review is from: Sex And The City (Paperback)
How a series as wonderful as Sex and the City was spawned from this mediocre,boring book I have no idea.Candace Bushnell deserves credit for inventing Carrie Bradshaw and Mr.Big e.t.c but don't read this unless you've run out of paint to watch drying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Darker than expected, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Sex And The City (Paperback)
I am half-way through this book and thoroughly enjoying it. To me it seems more insightful/honest than the TV series (which I also enjoy immensely, but in a different way). This book strikes a nerve and does not pull any punches. Do not expect the lovely comfort-blanket feeling of the series, but rather a cast of hardened characters stumbling through the city. At time it is quite seedy and you can almost taste the hangovers... Much, much better than the froth I was expecting, but also much darker.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, 12 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Sex And The City (Paperback)
I must confess to never watching the TV show but being aware of the hype I was expecting this book to be witty, sassy and a lot of fun. I was disappointed on every level. The characterisations were very poor and I ended up not caring about any of them. There was no plot so nothing to drive you on to turn the page and most of the humour was unsubtle and unfunny. A waste of time and a really bad advert for the TV classic.

1.0 out of 5 stars snore and the city!, 29 Jun. 2010
Louise Tassiker (Dundee, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sex And The City (Paperback)
I absolutely love the tv series so i treated myself to this book thinking is was in for more amazing stories!

What a waste of money, this book is nothing like the series (i know a lot of books are this way but this is extremely bad) i was left wondering how such an amazing series was developed from such a terrible book. The book is made up of columns and this is about the only similarity with the series, howover, there is absolutely no flow to the columns and most of the time the book makes no sense whatsoever. I was often left thinking "whats going on"

I also bought another of Bushnells books but i can't bring myself to read it after attempting this rubbish! Haven't finished the book and never will

Don't waste your money, especially if your a fan of the series, this book will just irritate you

1.0 out of 5 stars Fans of the series and film - beware!, 27 April 2009
Lucy Felthouse (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Sex And The City (Paperback)
Having enjoyed the film and adored the series, I thought I was doing myself a serious disservice by not having read the book. How wrong I was. I did myself a disservice by picking it up. Sex and the City the book is not a patch on the TV series or film. In fact, if I'd read this first, I doubt very much I'd have bothered watching the series or the film, so I'm happy that I didn't.

A series of snippets about life in New York - the book is just a mish-mash. It doesn't flow particularly well, and it certainly doesn't hook you in. I lost count of the amount of times I abandoned the book in order to read something - anything - more interesting. Only pig-headedness and wanting to give a fair review made me finish. Sadly, it didn't get any better. There's nothing in the book to indicate just how fabulous the series was. None of the character development, lovability, and chemistry. In the book, the main characters Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte are barely featured. It's just a smattering of dozens of minor characters, with a select few mentioned more often. You're not encouraged to care about the people and follow their lives in the way you are in the series. I was incredibly disappointed with this book.

If, like me, you did things the wrong way round and got hooked into the series and/or film first and are tempted to read the book, I really wouldn't. All it will do is waste some of your time, allow you to find out where the tiniest basis of the characters came from, and show you just how fabulous the writers of the TV show are. I didn't like this book one bit and was relieved to finish it.

Sex And The City
Sex And The City by Candace Bushnell (Paperback - 29 May 2008)