4.0 out of 5 stars surprising how good it was when I thought I'd hate it
Published on 11 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars It beat me
Published on 20 May 2012 by Marie

4.0 out of 5 stars surprising how good it was when I thought I'd hate it, 11 July 1999
This review is from: Infinite Jest (Hardcover)
I came in expecting to hate it. Comparisons to Pynchon; "genius" shown on the cover to be what seemed a twerp in a baseball cap; footnotes... but this turned out to be a darned good book. Why? Everything seemed to be against it. The Science Fictional element was very weak; the story had no beginning or end; there were endless digressions... but the author really IS brilliant; the characters are terrific; there is wit, (human)realism, pithy commentary on today, and humour --and unlike Pynchon, it's honest humour. (Pynchon rips you off consciously. Wallace on the other hand is genuine. He really has things to say and he honestly says them.) I put down the book (after days of not being able to put it down much) and said, "well that was really worth reading."

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, 26 May 1999
This review is from: Infinite Jest (Paperback)
The proverbial Book-That-All-The-Fuss-Is-About in America, Infinite Jest hasn't made a big splash in England for some reason. Set in the near-future, the story zips back and forth between a dope-addicted teenage lexical genius in a Tennis academy in the suburbs of Boston, a recovering demerol addict at a half-way house down the road, a gang of murderous Quebec separatist terrorists in wheel chairs, and a film that is so addictively entertaining that once you've been exposed to it you lose all will to do anything else in life except watch it again and again until you die. You also get the experialist evil of ONANism (referring here to the Organization of North American Nations), the death of the TV industry at the hand of tongue-scraper ads, giant feral rats in New England, hyper-obsequious mothers, filmakers killing themselves by putting their heads in a microwave and a girl so devastatingly beautiful she's forced to wear a veil at all times. What's not to like?
But never fear: beneath all the whimsical plot-digressions and flippant deployment of words you don't understand, DFW has a big heart, and IJ never degenerates into the standard I'm-so-postmodern-I-can-just-sneer-and-not-care posture that makes so much contemporary prose detestable.
If the book has a theme, it's addiction...in the broad sense...not just to various drugs but also to entertainment, to sport, to sex, to nationalism. The neat thing is that the book itself is addictive...although it's not a plot-driven page turner in any traditional sense, once you get into it it's hard to put down.
You should know the book is very very long, has 200+ pages worth of bizarre footnotes, 3 dozen subplots, and a whole lot of generally fascinating characters. The pace can be sloooooooow, but you won't mind. Like I said, it became VERY trendy in America a few years back...it's now required reading for the terminally hip 20/30something intelligentsia. For once, the hype was warranted...if you trudge through the (admittedly impenetrable) first 200 pages, you'll be hooked.
Oh and, I don't care how lexically gifted you think you are, you have to read IJ with a dictionary at your side.

3.0 out of 5 stars It beat me, 20 May 2012
Marie (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Infinite Jest (Paperback)
I'm sorry to say I abandoned this part-way through. Don't be mad at me! I feel like I've given it a pretty good shot. I've stuck with it through almost 600 pages, through sickness and health, over approximately 4 months. I've neglected some of my very favourite handbags because this hefty tome just won't fit inside. It almost pains me to give up after investing so much time in it, but the fact is there are still 400-odd pages left to go and I just have no motivation to pick it up any more!

So you've read the official blurb. Sounds great, right? Unfortunately this fatally entertaining movie was referred to on approximately three occasions in the 60% of the story I finished. The narrative is more concerned with the daily lives and family histories of the drug addicts and tennis students mentioned above. It is chock full of lively characters who are all illustrated perfectly down to the last detail, and even minor players are incredibly engaging with likeable flaws.

There have been times when I've absolutely LOVED reading this - particularly the passages about the Ennet House residents and the Narcotics Anonymous meetings. I can honestly say that some of these chapters were 5 star quality for me, despite the fact that I chose not to continue reading the book in the end. They ring very true to life (from my own experience working in similar environments) and I wonder whether David Foster Wallace has drawn on any personal experiences when writing these bits. However, the book is also interspersed with pages and pages of dry, excruciating detail about really mundane events. Some of the other reviews I've read have suggested that the monotony is kind of 'the point', and that it should prompt the reader to ask questions about the nature of entertainment etc. - well, my idea of entertainment is never going to be whiling away a whole morning reading about the technical intricacies of a tennis training session. It was these sections that felt really unrewarding and made me want to give up.

Not to mention the endnotes. I'm not the world's biggest fan of endnotes anyway so 100 pages of them is pushing it a bit.

I really enjoyed David Foster Wallace's style of writing and his inventive characters, and will definitely give something else of his a go (I've got Broom of the System waiting on my shelf to be read already). This was just too much for me though. I know it has quite the cult following and that there are plenty of people who rave about it, and as I said earlier, I didn't get to the end. Maybe had I persisted my opinion would have been different. But it got to the stage where I felt that life is just too short for me to spend any more time on this book...and the rest of my bookshelf is just too long!

4.0 out of 5 stars Like wading through champagne jelly, 12 Sep 2006
This review is from: Infinite Jest (Paperback)
Cor! I would like to tell you that this book is all the things that these other reviewers say it is - amazing, brilliant, flabergasting etc. Well, it is. However, after pushing through David Foster Wallace's interminable digressions and massively complex clauses, sub clauses, sub sub clauses etc, the brilliance could be said to have been dulled somewhat. Nevertheless, It's still a top-notch piece of boundary-pushing fiction, a brain-pulsingly engaging read, and a mad piece of food for thought. It would've got five stars if I could have persuaded any of my friends to read it too. Those slackers!

Read it. It'll do your brain good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Infinite Scope, Limited Jest, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Infinite Jest (Kindle Edition)
There are plenty of reasons to dislike this book. It's ridiculously long, overwritten and overblown in places, the plot is fragmented and difficult to follow and many will balk at the ending.

That said this book might just change your life and will change the way you think. DFW might not be the greatest storyteller but his wondrous analytical brain, his powerful imagination and his mastery of language are all on display.

Whether IJ is really a novel at all is a matter of debate. It's certainly a melting pot of different strains - a treatise on loneliness, discourse on addiction, a window (lots of windows) on depression, corporatism, environmentalism, terrorism, entertainment, friendship and family . A tale of genuinely amazing scope capturing life and thought in the modern media saturated, sensory overloaded, consumption driven age. While those who find themselves a little bit lost or broken in this overwhelming age of ours may not necessarily find answers or even solace in IJ they will certainly feel a little less alone in the universe.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book I Have Read, Ever., 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: Infinite Jest (Paperback)
I bought this because a couple of people who had reviewed John Jeremiah Sullivan's excellent collection of articles, Pulphead, also liked Infinite Jest. It arrived, and I discovered I'd ordered a brick rather than a book. Bit daunting I thought. 1000+ pages, footnotes,tiny point size. I left it on the shelf for a couple of months. Like I say, daunted. Then I picked it up. By page 13 I was hooked.

That was four months ago. I finished it yesterday and, having been immersed in the skewed but horribly recognisable world of David Foster Wallace for so long, I feel bereft.

It's one of those novels that is part of a long tradition of fiction that includes Sterne's Tristram Shandy, Swift's Gulliver's Travels, then travelled down the centuries to include Joyce's Ullyses, Pynchon's Gravity's Rainbow... If you're looking for a beginning, a middle and an end, you won't find it here.

What you will find is one of the most explosively imaginative novels ever written. It's funny. Political. Satirical. Years are sponsored by big business. The President is a schmaltzy crooner. The US has taken over vast areas of Mexico and Canada to form the Organization of North American Nations. ONAN. Haha! It's prescient. Waste dumping has lead to swathes of the local population being born with no skulls and multi-eyed. It's wise. '... you do not have to like a person in order to learn from him/her/it.' '... logical validity is not a guarantee of truth.' 'Everybody is identical in their secret unspoken belief that way deep down they are different from everyone else.' And on and on and on. I kept stopping to go over things I'd read. Musings. Throwaway ideas. And the descriptions, always so singular; always just right. 'His heart sounded like a shoe in the Ennet House basement's dryer.' 'The sobbing man's hand lies over his face like a spider...' 'The smile widens steadily without seeming to run out of new teeth to expose.'

The cast list is vast. Characters range from the grotesque to the pitiable to the weirdly endearing, each of them depicted with such an eye for detail that they come alive on the page. Hal Incandenza, a cold genius, who learns to feel emotion, but at the cost of communication; Don Gately, the recovering drug addict who relives his moment of rock bottom having been shot in the shoulder while doing the right thing; Remy Marathe, the amputee Quebec separatist terrorist. Lenz with his evil hobby. Himself, with his film-making career - films like Pre-Nuptial Agreement of Heaven and Hell, Poultry In Motion, and, of course, Infinite Jest itself - a film so addictive the viewer cannot stop watching it, ever. A fact which, in the wrong hands, makes it a deadly weapon...

What's it about then? Addiction, I suppose. To drugs, alcohol, fame and success, knowledge, the media, sex, killing, repeating mistakes of the past. It's about being alive in the West, now.

I've banged on about the imbalance I perceive between the quality of fiction coming from the two sides of the Atlantic in other reviews. Amis, McEwan and Self versus Richard Yates, Thomas Pynchon, James Ellroy, Dave Eggars, Jonathan Safron Foer, Anne Tyler, Cormac McCarthy, Daniel Woodrell... But here, with this novel, a new level of excellence has been reached. Infinite Jest is formidable. And yet...

This is not a recommendation as such. Read those first 13 pages, and you'll know whether or not Infinite Jest does it for you. All I can do is repeat that, for me, Infinite Jest is the best book I have read, ever.

4.0 out of 5 stars Presses its social criticisms like a child's cry for food., 22 May 1999
This review is from: Infinite Jest (Hardcover)
It seems that D.F.W. decided he had to have a topic in order to write a book. Or, perhaps he decided he needed a few subplots in order to chastise those American flaws he so effectively dissects for the viewing. Or, perhaps he wrote this book in the same way that tennis is managed: he practiced the skills until they were second nature, then he backhanded his breathtaking paragraphs at the reader in all angles literarily viable. I have heard him compared to many writers, and I am confused by no comparisons made to Woolf; his stream of concious writing (his stream of concious, rather than a charecter's) just screams Woolf, to me. Anyhow, it is an inanimate object, and if you offer it the time, and are not scared of some mental pain, it offers great clarity, and confusion - and always entertainment.

3.0 out of 5 stars A superbly crafted... what?, 4 Jun 1996
This review is from: Infinite Jest (Hardcover)
The seemingly infinite length of this book makes it difficult for even the most patient of readers. However, a little work does indeed pay off. The depth of the characters is limitless, and the reader is treated to delightful romp through the minds of the author's subjects. Every thought, every action, every memory is captured in technicolor detail and gives the novel its phenomenal heft. Though this detail is oftentimes fruitful, it can grow tedious and discourage the less painstaking reader. I do not believe, however, that this is the book's greatest fault.

As a condemnation of the wastes of modern America, Infinite Jest makes its point extremely well. Every page is filled with the consumptive lust for pleasure today's America suffers. The characters destroy themselves, their environs, and their society with reckless disregard for anything besides a few moments of stimulation to the pleasure centers of the brain. In the post-modern setting of the novel, entertainment and pleasure are exaggerated to such frightful extremes they become deadly. Brilliantly, Mr. Wallace makes it clear that the problems of this hypothetical future exist today. Ironically, Infinite Jest becomes an object of its own scorn -- addictively compelling and entertaining, it forces the reader to enjoy it, no matter the cost.

Unfortunately, the main detriment to this novel is the plot, which, after 900 pages, seems poised to make a new leap into the meat of the story, but instead turns to a rapid conclusion. Issues raised throughout the book are never resolved, and the reader is left without any real fulfillment. The characters, each of which is immaculately crafted and endearing, are only presented with the conflict at the end of the novel; they run out of pages before they have the chance to respond. It is almost as if the author was under some pressure from the publisher to end the book, and, indeed, the book does not seem to end they way Mr. Wallace intended: two chapters are remanded to the endnotes, appearing only as numerals in the text; some of the voices seem artificial and modified; and the story in general is clipped and unremarkable. This is a great disappointment after 900 pages of a superior epic. I suspect, and almost wish, that the author is working on the rest of the novel as I type.

All in all, Infinite Jest is a masterpiece of literally epic proportions. Its critique of America is amazingly brilliant and scaldingly poignant. The characters and voices will remain with the reader long after he or she turns the final leaf. However, so will the sense of let down and "fizzleing" that the end of the tome invokes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Huge intellect, medium-sized cojones, small wonder., 8 Jun 1998
This review is from: Infinite Jest (Hardcover)
That David Foster Wallace writes from genius I haven't the slightest doubt; that he has a heart as big as all-outdoors and the personal courage to step on the toes of so-called American culture, ditto. And so, the periodic failure of this novel to hold my complete attention isn't the result of a lack of talent, but rather is due to the form the novel takes, call it what you like. Postmodernist literature at least since Nabokov has demanded tremendous self-indulgence from the Author, is the thing. And we readers, after all, are supposed to like reading, goes the tale. Wallace never shirks his duty in this regard. Brilliant dialogue and narrative and set-scenes of painful hilarity are rudely interrupted by massive doses of information (and advertisements), just like TV, and like TV too much for me to enjoy for more than an hour at a time. I never got lost in this book, but I didn't always want to be there, either. No problem, Dave, Tolstoy and I have the same problem! And so then, but what is the bottom line? I think Wallace suggests in his novel that the pursuit of happiness (sanctified by our Declaration of Independence) has become an addiction from which nearly every American suffers (perhaps every human being). Ego demands it. And more to the point, despite what appears to be an unlimited number of choices in our great country, we really have only one choice to make at any given time: do or don't. Do results in addiction; don't, in rehab. Thus 'twixt the two swings our mood in this infinite jest where, as Nietzche claimed, "Even the gods contend in vain against boredom." Not a shabby moral lesson for us to learn, we who have made a fetish of selfhood in our postmodern world. A few passages of extreme clarity and insight: pgs. 200-211; 343-366; 418-430; 443-449; 589-593; 612-619; 692-698; 864-876; 900-906.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Pynchon comparison and we'll scream, 9 Jun 2004
This review is from: Infinite Jest (Paperback)
Infinite Jest has been repeatedly compared to Gravity's Rainbow, and (as with Neal Stephenson's Crytonomicon) the comparison is both obviously lazy, and patently unuseful. Wallace is a better "thinker" than Pynchon ever was even if he's not - line by line - a better writer, and he has written a far better book. A book that engages your emotions, not only your sense of humour and your Brittanica, as is the case with Pynchon. I still think The Broom of the System is his better work, but this is Wallace with all guns blazing, and every flaw in this book is that of a genius getting horny with his own immense talent. Let's not blame the guy.

Infinite Jest
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace (Paperback - 5 Jun 1997)
12.08