‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Mr E is Magnificent, 26 July 2009
Mark (Woodford Green, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Things The Grandchildren Should Know (Paperback)
A fine book. Written in a straightforward manner, his story provides an effective link to his music and lyrics. Touching, amusing and uplifting. I love this man so I may be somewhat biased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written about an interesting life, 9 July 2009
This book is a must for any Eels fan. Provides a real insight iinto the man behind the music and an understanding of the large change in style between Daisys of the Galaxy and Souljacker. At times heart renchingly sad, a story of survival

5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful page turner, 11 April 2008
Mark Everett is a great, creative musician, as is borne out by the undoubted appreciation he enjoys. He is what I would call a survivalist exponent of musical expression as therapy. He transcends the traumatic, tragic fabric of his life weaving it into a cathartic, rather uplifting and honestly straightforward account of how creativity and expression can heal or at least transmute abject misery into purposeful living.

It is difficult to put this one down. Almost everyone would get something out of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most inspiring read of my life, 28 Mar 2008
This was an amazing book-truthful and as honest as some one can be, Mr E from the Eels poured his heart and soul into this book about the hardships of his life, his many loves and the lessons we constantly learn each day. I loved this book so much that I even bought my friends a copy each so they could read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace, 18 Mar 2008
J. Arnold (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
Read the whole book in one sitting, one of the most interesting stories of someone in the Los Angeles music industry ever. His life, his music, everything, inspiring, yeah, great

5.0 out of 5 stars E, 5 Mar 2008
James Kay - See all my reviews
Undoubtably the more you enjoy the music of the Eels the more you will get out of reading this book. I love the music and find his voice, lyrics and use of sounds haunting and beautiful, therefore when I heard that this book was being released I knew it was something that I should read.

The book itself charts Mark Everetts life from infancy to pretty much present day. Its one of tragedy, love, loss and fighting hard to break into a music industry that is only interested in chart hits. He writes very well adding a lot of comedy to what could easily be a very depressing black story, and it is a black story. It really put my life into perspective when I'm feeling down about mundane things to read about a man who had to cope with so much loss to battle on and not give in.

In a way I guess that means that it is a life changing read and so fully deserves the 5 stars. Finally it gave full meaning to the lyrics of the Eels records because he actually describes his feelings and what was happening in his life as the songs were being written, it means that when I am listening to a particualar album I find myself smiling as I feel empathy with the voice I am listening to.

If you are a fan you really should buy this to look into the life of Mr. E, it will hopefully make you reflect on yours and add new meaning to already brilliant songs and albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 21 Feb 2008
Whist I like the Eels I could not count my self as a fan, however I am facinated by Mark Oliver Everett his relationship with his father, Hugh Everett and his sister Liz. This book is beatifully written, it is conservative on language, some might say simple, this works for me as it is direct and not hiding behind flowery prententions. I believe this book could move anyone to tears, and yet it is uplifting and ultimately a joy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spectacular, 25 July 2014
This review is from: Things The Grandchildren Should Know (Paperback)
Couldn't stop reading this. Sad, funny and crazy all at the same time. I enjoyed hearing the stories behind every album and it really explained a lot about the kind of artist E is. He never loses hope and always believes that ultimately the world is a beautiful place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touching, 20 Jan 2008
A fascinating and touching insight into the man and his music. It provides you with a real understanding (and therefore a greater appreciation of) of some of the subjects of his songs all of which were written about one aspect or another of his topsy turvy life.

However if you're not an Eels fan, it's still worth a read just to see how one man found a constructive way to deal with so much loss in his life.

It's not a hard or lengthy book to read, it's straightforward and doesn't use flowery language. That however, is its charm, just like his music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking sadness and joy, 30 Jan 2008
I sat down to make a start on this book the other night and for the first time in my life read a book from start to finish in one sitting. An absoulte joy to read and offers a great insight into the world of a troubled genius. Makes you view your own life just a little bit different.
Brilliant.

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

Things The Grandchildren Should Know
Things The Grandchildren Should Know by Mark Oliver Everett (Paperback - 2 July 2009)
6.99