5.0 out of 5 stars You may well recognise yourself here
I admit I've done it. I ,ve stood on a touchline and shouted as my progeny has run up and down a lumpy field . "Track back", "Concentrate" "Man On", "For gods sake stop calling the ref a W***er and let me do it". All the time I was doing this I was fully cognisant that I was being every bit as idiotic as the other parents screaming their sagacious advice though I don't...
Published on 1 Nov. 2007 by russell clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets better as you read on.
I found Jim White's book rather clichéd and predictable. I began to wonder if it would have made a better read if he'd used even more `poetic license.' For that reason the book is not as good as it could have been but readable all the same.

Published on 14 Oct. 2008 by Willy Mismot

5.0 out of 5 stars If you manage/coach a children's/youth team, you'll have been there too & love it!, 28 Nov. 2013
This review is from: You'll Win Nothing With Kids: Fathers, Sons and Football (Paperback)
This book was recommended to me by a friend and fellow coach at our club. I bought it the next day and it was delivered the day after that - usual great Amazon service!

I'm not a book reviewer, so please excuse the clumsy prose, but this book is fabulous and I found it hard to put down once I had started it... It is hilarious from cover to cover and I laughed out loud many times – prompting my son, when in the same room, to ask what was so funny?

It is written from the viewpoint of a parent who coaches a youth team and with a clear heartfelt love of youth football, as well as the boys. If you have any involvement in coaching or managing a youth team you will recognise the situations and scenarios and because it is retelling someone else’s experiences you will also see the humour (as well as feeling empathy!) – because this time it is not you!

I would highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 25 Jan. 2008
I coach under 12s, including my son of course, and found it very reassuring and funny to read so many things I went through.
Excellent message for some coaches and parents who may have lost the plot about why kids play football

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets better as you read on., 14 Oct. 2008

The book made some good observations, however, about youth football in Britain although, in my experience, the antics of most parents I've encountered are not quite as over-the-top as those in the book!

One final question: why is Doug's name suddenly changed to 'Marty' in Holland? Or did I skip a paragraph when that was explained (which has been known)?

5.0 out of 5 stars spot on !!, 2 Nov. 2012
Just Read 'you'll win nothing with kids' and Jim whites got it spot on. I am involved with youth football and have been for over 40 years and this book captures all the ups and downs brilliantly.Poignant, funny, sad, its all there the trials and tribulations of being a Manager at that level. This book sum's up youth football park style so good even the 'funny' bits are so spot on that I laughed with a wry grin, so true.Great read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read., 3 Dec. 2014
If you're thinking of managing your kids football team this is essential reading, if you've been managing your kids football team you should read it too if only to realise that you're not alone! Once you've read it give a copy to all the other parents in your kids football team; they may not see themselves in the book but trust me they are there....Brilliant read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very enjoyable, 14 Mar. 2014
This is a very enjoyable read - a must for anyone who is a parent or coach who lives through the ups and downs of their kids sports.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim White seems to have lived my life first., 16 Jan. 2014
Half way through this book I was seriously considering suing the author for plagiarism. When I worked out that he was 5/6 years older than me I realised that he was there first. The FA should send copies of this to everybody involved in youth football given the universal truths that he reveals. Without exception I have had everyone of the experiences that he relates in the book.

Haven't quite finished yet so not sure whether he deals with the elephant in the room as to why people behave as they do when involved with kids footie, which comes down to the sheer scummy nature of a significant minority of the parents and coaches involved.

Read, laugh, cringe and recognise your own failings

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 25 July 2013
Felt like he was describing some of my own experiences as a junior team manager, not sure I am looking forward to going up to the older age groups but a great laugh to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll win nothing with kids, 2 Feb. 2009
As a coach of an under 14 team I can identify with loads of the stories from this book. I also found the book useful in that being a top journalist the author had access to loads of insightful information from top coaches which I've now put to good effect with my team.

1.0 out of 5 stars I would have got away with it if it wasn't for those meddling kids.., 22 Dec. 2014
From my own personal experience of the Dads and Lads 3 legged race (1989 Tunbridge Wells Inter-County Under 8s) I can testify that you can indeed win things with kids and the trophy still takes pride of place in front of the wedding photo on the mantelpiece.

You'll Win Nothing With Kids: Fathers, Sons and Football
You'll Win Nothing With Kids: Fathers, Sons and Football by Jim White (Paperback - 15 May 2008)