5.0 out of 5 stars Encore
Published on 23 Jan 2007 by W. Palmer

3.0 out of 5 stars not to much happening
basically this is a book about a guy's 5 months holiday on the slopes. If only those russians were some kind of murderes....:)
Published 20 months ago by Tiago Paulino

5.0 out of 5 stars Encore, 23 Jan 2007
W. Palmer "Will Palmer" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
Whether this is your first or 4th Randall read I urge you to don your hat and goggles and race to your nearest bookstore. If the image of Randall in a canoe or on a donkey wasn t enough then one of him trying to impress finely tuned youngsters on the mountains of Mont St Bernard are enough to wake the silent carraige on the train ( as somewhat embarrasingly happended to me!) Russians, wine, close encounters, late nights and typically random Randall stumbles make this another witty and honest portrayal of la vie dans les Alpes de nos jours. Any critisism ? 288 pages too short. Roll on the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars Another A+, Sir., 21 Jan 2007
It is a fact widely accepted by friends and family that although I am an enthusiastic starter, willing to give everything a go, it is with less zeal that I finish anything...("Where are you heading with this I hear you cry?")...that is until I read this book...(See I always get there in the end). In fact the end came rather too quickly for my liking. I couldn't put the book down. Indeed this has happened with all of Will Randall's books. This latest offering is no less warm than those based in sunnier climes and just as insightful and entertaining. In fact Will Randall's "Oh go on then, why not?" attitude to life and the challenges it presents in all his books, has inspired me to moved to a country where I don't speak the language and see if I too can have some funny adventures- for those of you interested, there have been several to date!

Anyway back to the point. I heartily recommend this book. It will leave you warmer than a couple of pints of vin chaud and itching to get your skis on!

4.0 out of 5 stars I want to go skiing now!, 16 Jan 2007
I enjoyed this book. Anyone who likes Bill Bryson and has been anywhere near the slopes will love this. its full of stories of boozy nights, random Russians and skiing misadventures. its not as personal as some of his others- you just get the sense that he had the time of his life and he was lucky enough about being able to write about it- but he does a good englishman abroad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, 7 Nov 2009
My wife bought this as a reminder of our season spent in the alps many years ago.
The book was a surprisingly enjoyable read and the colourful characters the author encounters are very well observed.
Will comes across as a likeable chap who finds the best in people and this helps him gain the acceptance of the locals and gives us a closer look into their lives.

I look forward to reading more from this author

5.0 out of 5 stars great fun!, 15 Jan 2014
Really enjoyable recounting of a season in the French Alps! Definitely recommend a read of this and will be trying "Williams"'s other books for sure!

3.0 out of 5 stars not to much happening, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Another Long Day On The Piste: A Season in the French Alps (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars bought as present for ski nut, 13 Mar 2013
well I bought this as a present but as I cannot resist books, I also read it. I found it OK, especially if you're into skiing but didn't inspire me to search out other books by author.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Off piste", 13 Feb 2013
Nick (Aberdeenshire) - See all my reviews
As an avid skier I was looking forward to reading this on my recent trip to the Alps. Unfortunately, the book was a disappointment. Billed as "entertaining", "wry" and "satirical" from the reviews and jacket notes, it looked like the ideal companion.

Will Randall's season in the Alps was, in reality, rather like most people's ski vacations. He fell over, he got drunk, he met some nice (and some not so nice) people, he took some ski lessons and marginally improved his skiing. Perhaps nothing really funny happened to him in his time in the Alps? I had so hoped that this would be an entertaining book about the sport I love; sadly it didn't live up to expectations.

2.0 out of 5 stars Deliriously funny? afraid not, 15 Dec 2012
Candy camera (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This book is an account of the author's season in a ski resort. No new angle or take. Just what happened to him, a diary without dates. It's an ok read for a holiday, it's very light. If you read it at bedtime you won't have nightmares. But it didn't make me laugh out loud, it didn't even make me smile.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Will Randall, 6 April 2012
Will Randall seems like a pretty likeable sort of bloke. I've enjoyed the other books of his that I've read and this one was no exception. He's clearly happy to throw himself into new adventures, find the fun side of life and generally make the best of any situation.

There are some extremely funny moments in this book and one or two very heartwarming characters and scenes. Sometimes it's just the subtle things that raise a smile, other times the situations make you laugh out loud.

What makes this book genuinely intersting is that it is written about the experiences of "doing a season" from the perspective of a person that would consider themselves very much a "non-seasonnaire". As a result, it's a little look at the seasonnaire experience, but from the outside rather than from the slightly rose tinted perspective that seasonnaires sometimes produce. It also gives a slightly more rounded picture of the alpine experience by introducing us to the back stories of some of the locals that have to live in these places long after the tourists (and the snow) are gone.

It genuinely makes you think "I think I could probably enjoy doing that". In fact, I could probably enjoy doing it in Will's company.

Another Long Day On The Piste: A Season in the French Alps
Another Long Day On The Piste: A Season in the French Alps by Will Randall (Paperback - 3 Jan 2008)