5.0 out of 5 stars The Job - a review
Published on 12 Dec 2005 by J. D. Naylor

3.0 out of 5 stars Not sure if I've read the same book!
This is only an averagely good book in comparison to most of Douglas Kennedy's other bestsellers. If you're a new reader of Kennedy's work, try 'The Pursuit of Happiness' or 'The Big Picture' rather than this. The characters in 'The Job' are unbelievable and worse than that, generally unlikeable. It's not terrible, but there are better options in Kennedy's catalogue.
Published on 31 Mar 2007 by L. Dawson

5.0 out of 5 stars The Job - a review, 12 Dec 2005
J. D. Naylor "jazzfan" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Job (Paperback)
Don't be fooled by the attractive woman on the front cover this is a novel about living the high life in today's cut throat corporate America.The stories main character has it all - Attractive wife,trendy home,high flying job and a big salary to boot but is not content to stop there .This is a story about the American dream when it goes wrong.It's not subtle story telling but is a real page turner nevertheless.
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Job, 10 Mar 2006
This review is from: The Job (Paperback)
A simply brilliant read. A bit of a slow starter but once in to it I couldn’t put it down. Great characters, great plot and a wonderful sense of humour underlines the entire story.
Ned Allen is such a believable and lovable character throughout I was willing him to succeed as one of the good guys. I could picture almost every suit in this book as some executive slime bag I had meet in the past somewhere... so true to life.
A cautionary tale about the desperation of modern life, how some want to win, constantly, so badly that they will go to any length to get what they want without the slightest concern about the extremely high risk strategy they are playing. A great plane or holiday book cause, trust me, you will not put down until it is finished. 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book!, 29 Jun 2006
Boof (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Job (Paperback)
I just LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this book! I was recommended Douglas Kennedy last week and after flying through "The Big Picture" (I also highly recommend) I picked up "The Job" yesterday and finished all 500 pages in 2 days. I could not put the thing down!

This is the story of a Salesperson who left the sticks to relocate to Manhattan, determined to be a success at any cost. After a series of very unfortunate events the story races along at breakneck speed leaving you unable to put the book down. I don't want to spoil the plot but it is suffice to say that this is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I am now a firm Douglas Kennedy fan and can't wait to read his other stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Whooosh!, 2 Dec 2001
This review is from: The Job (Paperback)
This book has possibly the most uninspired title ever. Luckily, Kennedy saved his inspiration for the story itself. I can hardly believe that anyone could make the selling of advertising space so exciting - but 'The Job' is an unputdownable, white-knuckle ride of a book. Kennedy really knows how to make his characters suffer, and the velocity of the writing is breathtaking. I'd say this was even better than The Big Picture. If you want an astonishingly fast-paced, exciting read - that is actually quite clever and literary, too - then I'd recommend this highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars New joy in my life!!!!, 4 Jun 2007
This review is from: The Job (Paperback)
Started reading this book at 2.30 pm Saturday and finished it at 10.am on Sunday morning then straight to the book shop to buy more. Absolutlely unputdownable. Clever twisting plot. What disappontment to find there are so few novels by this guy - sorrow anticipated when the last one hits the deck. Bit like when I read the last Agatha Christie.

5.0 out of 5 stars compulsive reading!, 22 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Job (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by Douglas Kennedy. I couldn't put it down! It reminded me of the Client by Grisham. I am now going to add more of Douglas Kennedy's books to my wishlist.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - a real page turner, 29 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Job (Paperback)
This is the first Douglas Kennedy book I have read, and I am about to order his earlier ones. I couldn't put it down, and was relieved when it ended, I couldn't stand any more tension! More, more!

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent summer reading, 4 July 2006
This review is from: The Job (Paperback)
I just finished the book, and I couldn't wait to reach the last page! Entertaining and impressive, because we don't (at least I want to think so) have such rutheless corporate environments in Europe. I recommend this book to Amazon customers and am now about to order another D. Kennedy book myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kennedy for absolute begginers, 24 Dec 2011
This review is from: The Job (Paperback)
First read The Job when it was published about 12 years ago after being fascinated by Douglas Kennedy,s debut novels The Big Picture , and The Dead Heart. For Kennedy's third novel we find Ned Allen a high flying Manhattan corporate called Ned Allen who has an ego as big as the New York skyline. This is Kennedy at his best as he fires on all four cylinders of his plot in which the great corporate magnate looses all as he falls from grace and in desperation ends up doing THE JOB !!! The job has excellent prose and pace and it's a fast paced thriller with humour, dealing with an underworld and corruption. If you are new to Douglas Kennedy don't read The Moment , Leaving the World , A Special Relationship or any other Kennedy novel until you have read The Job, Big Picture or Dead Heart. Get a taste of Kennedies original plotted and intriguing style of writing in The Job as an introduction to this master story tellers work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprising, 27 April 2004
This review is from: The Job (Paperback)
I read this book after reading some of Kennedy's other novels, The Pursuitof Happines, A Special Relationship and The Big Picture. I was surprisedas it is a completly different read, more like Grisham (I found that ithad overtones of The Firm) than Kennedy. It was fast paced and thrilling.I loved The Pursuit of Happiness for its characterisation and I loved TheJob for its exploration of a man on the edge. If you are expecting thisbook to be anything like A Special Relationship you will be surprised thatdoesn't mean that you shouldn't explore the darker side of Kennedy though.Read it and read his others!

The Job
The Job by Douglas Kennedy (Paperback - 3 Feb 2005)
6.99