Format: PaperbackChange

on 7 March 2012
I just love comedy in crime novels and no one does it better than Brookmyre. I've read all of his books and this one is my favourite.

I agree with some of the reviewers that it does take a while for it to get going (the start being somewhat laboured), but if you can forgive the first few chapters and persevere, it soon turn into a very page-turning and wonderfully humorous (black comedy) story from there on in.

Great scenario that the mother, Jane, (a James Bond fanatic), is recruited in to find her missing son. But there are lots of well thought through characters and sub plots to keep you entertained throughout.

If you've never read a Brookmyre book, treat yourself to this one! And if like me, you are into the dark comedy crime genre, then The Dealer by Tony Royden is another gem that I would highly recommend you try.
on 18 April 2006
I had read all of Christopher Brookmyre's other books before this was realeased, and was waiting for its publish date, then after publication I came and read some other reviews which slated it as an underwhelming read ... so I went on to read something else instead.

Well, I've just finished "All Fun and Games" and found it thoroughly enjoyable ... sure it isn't full of the gut wrenching, stomach churning humour of the other books ... but once I was started on it and the story got going ... I still couldn't put it down until I'd finished it.

If you've read, and enjoyed, his other books ... have a read of this one, and don't be put off by the more critical reviews.
on 8 August 2006
Other reviews on this page suggest that this isn't a good Brookmyre for the non-initiated. If that's the case, I'm really looking forward to reading his others! Having finished AFAG last night I've already purchased my second Brookmyre and can't wait to get started.

True, the beginning is slower paced than the rest of the book but one of the reasons that the end is so riveting is because you are completely taken by the characters by that point and actually care about what will happen to them. So the build up adds to the pace and enjoyment in the end.

I wonder whether he'll follow it up with more "Jane Bell" novels...?
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 August 2014
Brookmyre’s tales are always good fun, invariably a thriller tale wrapped up in dark humour and spun out as an edgy comic caper. So it is with All Fun and Games Until Someone Loses an Eye, which has a very nice hook about a dour Scottish housewife making a transformation into Lara Croft as a secret agent. The set-up is very nicely done, as is the unfolding of the plot and the denouement, with the action sequences particularly well conveyed. As usual, Brookmyre develops a colourful cast of characters, placing them a number of them slightly or fully out of place, and riffing on their interplay. The result is humour is ever present, though rarely spills over into belly laughs. The only downside is there is far too much explication and back story, with rambling long passages that added little but padding. Some judicious editing would have added a little pace and verve. Overall, an entertaining, well conceived, tongue-in-cheek thriller.
on 18 July 2005
I am a huge fan of Christopher's novels though did find that the last one was a little predictable and formulaic.
I absolutely love "All fun and games". I think his writing of the female characters was sympathetic and accurate, something that I found rather a surprise. It was again a wonderful and fantastical romp that I found very hard to put down.
It is also a very good entry into the novelists work if you are new to him. Having totally new characters made for interesting back stories. Not as political or ranting as some of his other works which might make a more comfortable read for the unconverted.
I agree with other reviewers that it is very cinematic in style and would make a wonderful movie - let's just hope that ITV don't put their idiotic fingers on this or any other Brookmyer piece.
on 1 November 2009
My son gave me this for my 62nd birthday and I loved every word of it. I didn't find it slow to get into I was enthralled right from the very start. I am a great Jasper Fforde fan and love to be incidentally introduced to an author's favourite authors; so I knew I was on to a winner when I discovered that Jane Fleming reads Robertson Davies. There is a reference to the Lyre of Orpheus which is one of his books. What fun to know that all that hoovering and drudgery is fitting us house wives for a Bond style adventure and how true that we would do absolutely anything for our children. I believed in this book totally and I am thrilled to have discovered Brookmyre, I have ordered his others already.
on 14 October 2008
I have been reading Christopher Brookmyre for years and am never disappointed. I was converted by a colleague and I in turn have converted my husband. Having already bought the book I heard reviews saying it was not up to his usual standard, but then realised they were all written by men and that this had a female central character .... so make what you will of that!! This book is very different to his other books in that it does not have you laughing all the time but it does not fail to grip you. I think he has written this as a homily to women, don't underestimate us. As always, I can't wait to read the next one.
VINE VOICEon 24 August 2006
My friends rave about Christoper Brookmyre so I thought I'd buy this to read on my summer holiday. To be honest I struggled a bit during the first chapter - it didn't really engage me. But after that it was brilliant and I couldn't put it down. I loved the middle-aged heroine Jane Fleming and the crazy, action-packed plot. The Scottish characters are oh so real. Great stuff - I will definitely read more by this author.
on 4 September 2006
Get past the first chapter - a bit pedestrian and confusing - and enjoy the fun, laughs and excitement that are to come. This is the first Brookmyre novel that I have read, but it certainly won't be the last (another is waiting on the shelf for me even as I write).
on 28 June 2006
OK, just finished reading the reviews and I have to ask what people were expecting from this book. I have been reading Brookmyre since the beginning, not relgiously but whenever a new book of his appears in paperback I always buy it knowing what I will get.

And what you get here is a slightly slow starting (and I mean only the first 15 pages or so) book that has true laugh out loud moments in - I defy anyone not to giggle when the line is delievered "....the car in front is actually a Lamborghini....", I had people on the train giving me 'the look' when I was giggling at some of the lines in the book.

It entertains and excites and has a wonderful set set of one liners, enjoy !!!!!

PS Passed it on to my mother to read, she got thrown out of her pensioners yoga club for laughing too much whilist reading it - so perhaps she gives it 5 stars too.