5.0 out of 5 stars Reasoning with Ramotswe
Precious Ramotswe inherits her father's cattle herd and sells it to start a new life. The options are limited for a woman in Botswana. She sets out on an uncharted course, opening the first private detective agency run by a woman. At least in Botswana. Mma Ramotswe is a commanding figure. She's stout, observant and reasons with precise logic. She would have made a...
Published on 3 Aug 2005 by Stephen A. Haines

3.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it is good to know when to stop!
I have read three of the Ladies Detective Agency books now and I felt a bit disappointed after this one. I loved the first book in the series and enjoyed tears of a giraffe, but I thought this book was a bit predictable and did not have quite enough mystery and plot to keep it going at an acceptable pace.
It is not a bad book, but if you are considering buying this...
Published on 4 Nov 2003 by J. Lennox

‹ Previous | 133 34 35 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars i recommend this book !, 28 Nov 2008
Sara Moss "sara jane" (welling, kent, england) - See all my reviews
i recommend this book ! it is the first book i have bought and read by this author, and i thoroughly enjoyed it. the story was witty and amusing. i like the way each chapter is a small story on its own, once i started reading this book i could not put it down until i had finished it, i was gripped. i highly recommend it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant enough, 11 Sep 2003
This books was not one that kept me gripped from cover to cover, although to be honest I had trouble finding much of a story to it. I feel that it would have been better to split the chapters up and group them as a series of short stories - there was very little common thread between each story line.
Then - all of a sudden - the book finishes! A total anti climax at the end of it all.

3.0 out of 5 stars What a mouthful?, 11 Feb 2006
Although I'm a great fan of Mr A M Smith's books, I do find that Mr A M Smith can often repeat the name of his character, Mr J L B Maketoni rather too often throughout the whole of Tears of the Giraffe. Can Mr A M Smith not give Mr J L B Maketoni a first name or refer to him as "him" on occasion? I found the reference to Mr J L B Maketoni upset the flow of the story which made it less enjoyable and not quite the light easy read I had enjoyed in the first book of the series. The storyline picked up and got better towards the end (especially if you didn't read Mr J L B Maketoni) but I'm not sure whether I can endure any more Mr J L B Maketoni references in future books. This is a shame as I really enjoyed the first book. On a plus point, if you're an Alexander McCall Smith fan, I can highly recommend 44 Scotland Street and Espresso Tales - not to be missed and not a Mr J L B Maketoni reference in sight - thankfully!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Whatever is all the shouting about?, 17 Mar 2004
Laura A. Cella (NYC. NY) - See all my reviews
Disappointed. That's how I felt, disappointed.
I was standing in Hatchard's searching for something to read, something entertaining, well-written, exotic, escapist, perhaps. In my arms I already held an Ian Rankin and two Booker Prize shortlisters.(Well-written, certainly, entertaining, maybe. We'll see. . . ) But I wanted something more, something. . . different. I wanted that little paperback book from the BIG display fairly shrieking about the brilliant detective series featuring the clever lady detective from Botswana, that Precious Whatshername, that post-Modern replacement for musty old Miss Marple. I snapped it up and plopped it atop my stack. Once home, I chose it first and began to read.
Big mistake. They were wrong. I was deceived. Worse than that, I was bored.
First of all, it's not a detective novel in the traditional sense. That's okay, I mean, I'm a literature teacher so I tend to accept alternative writing styles pretty easily. Tell me a story and I'm happy. But, this. . . this book was something else entirely. The story (such as it was) was dull, so very, very dull. I can't really tell whether anything happened because the writing style was so awful. Short simple "noun/verb" sentence construction coupled with a choice of three tones, self-pitying, self-congratulatory, and none at all, make for a passive, unengaged read. Additionally, it has an unusual dialogue structure (unmarked), actual dialogue two steps above pidgin English, and flat, undeveloped, uninteresting, nearly archetypal characters. It's a really simple book, but not in a good way. Simple isn't always profound.

I guess this series, like Miss Marple, Poirot, Rebus, or any other continuing detective has its fans, however, if you're looking for beautiful language, subtlety, poetry, deep observations about life, or even just a linear story with well-developed characters, this isn't it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The No. 1 ladies detective agency, 18 Jun 2003
By A Customer
I found this book was full of charm and left you with a smile on your face.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather a cold read, 7 Nov 2003
I've never been to Africa, but I'm somehow sure that McCall Smith accurately and effortlessly recreates the timbre of life in a small Botswana town. Although it is beautifully written, I somehow managed to find it ultimately unsatisfying. It's a slim novel, quite formal and restrained, but for all that, probably worth reading just to see what all the fuss has been about.

2.0 out of 5 stars Over before its begun, 21 July 2009
This book tells the story of Mma Ramotswe and her new No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency in Botswana. The book tells the tale of how Mma Ramotswe sets up her agency using funds left by her late father. Business is slow at first but starts to pick up near the end of the book.

Although it is an interesting read this book is full of examples of 'mysteries to be solved' that are over before they have even begun! The cases are short and over far too quickly so every time I felt I was getting into the story it was solved. There is nothing to get your teeth into in this book and it seems a little wishy washy. There is not enough substance to the story and it is a big disappointment. I will not be buying another one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet - in the way candy floss is sweet, 10 Sep 2004
I realise that I must be the only person in the western world who doesn't like this series of books - you pick up the one - it is the same as the next. They are plotless and samey. The lead characters are sickly sweet. Botswana is made to look like a little quaint village - it certainly wasn't the last time I was there. They are a simple read better aimed at schoolkids than adults.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for grown ups, 20 Oct 2004
By A Customer
I was a few pages into this book when I wondered whether I had stumbled into the children's section in the bookshop when I bought it. If you like words don't buy it. I put it down and just couldn't pick it up again. I think the potential for a great novel has been seriously wasted.

5.0 out of 5 stars replacement of order, 23 July 2009
John Kendall - See all my reviews
i ordered a book from this seller it got lost in the post. Seller sorted a fresh copy and posted to me at no extra cost. FIRST CLASS DEALER. Thanks for all your help.
John

‹ Previous | 133 34 35 | Next ›

Morality For Beautiful Girls: 3 (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
Morality For Beautiful Girls: 3 (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency) by Alexander McCall Smith (Paperback - 6 Nov 2003)
5.59