5.0 out of 5 stars It verged on too much character development...
An excellent read - although it does almost have too much character development. The book takes many diversions from the main plot to go into the various character's backgrounds. Whilst it does give you a rich mental picture of who the main protagonists are, Brookmyre almost goes over the top with the detail.
Brookmyre has the rare skill of developing a character who...
Published on 23 Aug 2002 by dyls

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really a return to form
I'm afraid I was disappointed with this book. I love his first two novels but have found all the subsequent ones somewhat lacking. It's hard to pinpoint why, but much of the problem stems from too much ranting and not enough plot or characterisation. This particularly applied to the first part of this book - I almost gave up at one point, it started to remind me of...
Published on 15 Nov 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 July 2014
Brilliant as always

4.0 out of 5 stars A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away, 4 Mar 2003
Abigail Rose "crabbyabi" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Christopher Brookmyre gives us a fine example of a 'Role Model' book in this great story of terrorism, friendship, family and work.
Ray Ash is in his 30's with a wife, a baby and a new job as an English teacher. Meanwhile, his old friend Simon is the worlds most wanted man, with a job as a hired assasin. Ray see's Simon at the airport and this leads to a series of gripping, exciting events which make this brilliantly written book a pleasure to read! I recommend it to anyone who likes a good read, but if you are faint hearted dont read it right before you go to bed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Too long!, 28 Jan 2012
This review is from: A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away (Abacus Books) (Paperback)
On the whole a good story and believable characters, but far too much padding. The storyline would start going somewhere, and become quite a page turner, and then you would jump back in time and get 20 odd pages of character 'in fill' which was quite unnecessary to the plot. I read a lot of crime/thriller novels and like to try as many different authors as I can, but I'm sad to say I won't be visiting Mr Brookmyre again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Sep 2014
Very funny

2.0 out of 5 stars Something of a mish-mash, 9 Mar 2003
This novel reminded me of two by Brookmyre's fellow Scot, Iain Banks - and what's more, two of my least favourite by Banks. The idea of a lead character discovering a former friend is now a mass murderer was strangely familiar from 'Complicity', while all the Rock Music references brought to mind 'Espedair Street'
However, there aren't that many really fresh stories so I could forgive Brookmyre if the end result was a really strong novel. Unfortuneatly, it fell a little short of that. Several plot twists I saw coming and for too much of the book I felt I was being told what to think rather leading me though the characters dilemas.
The books cover notes sold me the author as a satirist, but what I found between the covers was a secoond rate thriller.
However, there were parts that were page turning and Angelique was a strong and positive character. I just wish she had been in a stronger book

2.0 out of 5 stars Far too long, 22 Nov 2004
Mark Hughes (Worsley, Lancs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away (Abacus Books) (Paperback)
Someone please tell the editor of this book that to drag a story out for longer than needed is a great sin, 500 pages could quite easily been cut down to around 300, the story consisted of to much character development which prevented the story from flowing, having watched quite ugly one morning which i found poor i thought that i would give the author the benefit of doubt and read some of his work, Sorry to say that i will not rush to read anything else of his and if this book is turned into a television drama i must remeber to be watching something else that night!

A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away (Abacus Books)
A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away (Abacus Books) by Christopher Brookmyre (Paperback - 3 July 2003)