Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 October 2007
Do not waste your time or money. This book is badly written, the characters are contrived and unbelievable. The plot is abysmal. Bushnell actually does not know how to write very well so misses out a significant portion of the plot so one minute the characters are in trouble, then on the next page it is a few months later and they have sucessfully sorted out all their problems.

SATC TV series - the episodes were not written by her. The idea and characters were taken from her book but the vast majority of seasons 1 through 6 have NOTHING to do with her, other than the original idea, the pilot and the first few episodes. This is not the sharp-witted TV series, it's unintelligent, unimaginative and dull. I give it one star because I have to but it is not even worth that.
on 25 May 2014
An enjoyable read. Easy page turner and interesting characters . Great fun. Will try another book by the same author.
on 12 January 2015
Took me a while to get into it, but after a few chapters, I couldn't put it down. Love Candace Bushnell
on 26 April 2015
Very good read and great likeable characters. Chic lit at its best
on 21 October 2008
I took this book on a flight, hoping for some light in-flight entertainment. Instead what I got was a complete disappointment. Chick-flicks are a powerful genre, quite capable of reducing me to laughter. This barely required a smile or indeed any emotion except that of patience. I started it so I wanted to finish it, and so I plodded through.

Characters are well crafted (I prefer Nico), and there is even a plot. But the story just doesn't have enough magic to make it something special. While there are all these billions of books waiting to be discovered, Lipstick Jungle, in my personal opinion doesn't deserve that precious reading time.
on 15 February 2015
Love Candace Bushell
on 3 June 2008
The best thing about this book is that it's not the 'classic' chick lit. It's women with brains and their own independance. But it's not particully well written, at times I even disliked the characters (which I'm sure was not intended) and the storyline wasn't particully interesting, exciting or engaging, by the end I was left dissatisfied by the lack of storyline. Even the diversion from the usual chick lit plot wasn't completely satisfied, so even the best thing about this book wasn't done particully well
on 13 February 2006
I bought this book after reading a review, which billed this as chick lit, but on a different level. I was so disappointed. Lipstick jungle is completely unsubtle, full of cliches, and over the top references reminding you 'your girlfriends are the only people you can rely on'. The ending actually made me gag, and in fact the only reason I made it to the end, was because I was sick in bed. I enjoyed her book sex and the city, because it was sharp, and true. I recommend Melissa Banks instead.
on 8 May 2015
Entertaining
on 3 March 2006
I actually quite liked this book. It's not profound or intellectual literature but I didn't expect that. I expected a good fun read that entertained for a day or two. Yes, of course, the women in the book did often not behave in a way that I thought made sense, but then again neither did the girls in Sex and the City (and I mean the show). But it's meant to be light entertainment and that it does very well.