Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 December 2010
A really great read. Great plot, great characterisation and a great ending.
Not as funny as I was lead to believe, and the history lesson in Scottish football was mind-crushingly dull, but this is more because of the subject matter than his writing, (and didn't appear to have much to do with the plot). Sounded more like the author trying to get something off his chest about the Rangers v Celtic feud. I actually had to skip a few pages here which is something that I normally would NEVER do.
That's a minor gripe though, it's an excellent book and I'll be searching out some more of his work.
on 2 December 2002
Like a true Brookmyre fan, I eagerly awaited the arrival of his latest novel and was champing at the bit for his usual black humour and cleverly crafted plot. Well for the humour, it did appear on occasions and yes the plot was very clever but I was so lost in all the twists and turns along the way, I almost forgot what the book was actually about. Dare I say it, but I actually got a bit bored half way through. I have to rate this one "good but not one of his best". While we all enjoy a good rant at topical events (and Brookmyre has never been an exception), maybe less of this and more of keeping the plot flowing along would be very much appreciated. Or if you must have a rant, don't lose the reader along the way.
However I am still eagerly awaiting his next ..... just please return to your old form.
on 31 July 2006
It is easy to make your villains two dimensional. But brookmyre has made his villain alomost a protagonist. The story moves along quickly. No knowledge of scottish geography is necessary, but it flatters those who can picture the scenes. Some nice twists which I won't give away. All round an good read.
on 22 March 2010
This book is such a cracker. Great plot. Excellent characters. Funny, funny, funny. Edge of the seat thrilling. Very rude.
For me this was one of those books that cause you to lose sleep because you can't put it down and when you finish you want to start all over again.
Lovely stuff
on 28 October 2009
This is a 5 star read, make no mistake. All the usual Brookmyre elements are there, plus an are they/aren't they couple. The first meeting between cop and the robber is a masterpiece, I just wonder who would play these parts in a TV adaption!
on 9 July 2009
this is the first brookmyre book, finnished it in 4 days. i have now read 5.

lived in glasgow, knew all the sreets and areas, loved his local dialect.

his imagination is brilliant.
on 21 January 2013
The first forty pages of the book can be hard going but are very necessary for your later pleasure. It made me laugh out loud.
I save Brookmyre for holiday reading.
on 17 February 2015
Brilliant story telling, entertaining, gripping and (as usual), insightful and imaginative. CB always gets the characters right.
Looking forward to the next one.
on 5 April 2016
what a twisted plot and written with such a wicked sense of humour that i almost bit through my lip trying to hold my laughter in in a crowded room
on 17 October 2012
As usual Amazon deliver a fast and efficient download of another classic Christopher Brookmyre story, full of twists, turns and brilliant plotwork