on 14 July 2006
This is the first Anita Shreve book Ive read and it wont be the last. I absolutely loved this story about love found, love lost and then found again. Its a story that got so close to me I felt at a loss once Id finished the last page. I swear I had tears welling in my eyes when I read the ending to this book and I was left with astonishment, sadness that I wouldnt be entwined in the characters lives any more.

I could feel the characters emotions, feel their pain, their lust, their longing. Almost feel their breath upon my neck. It is so beautifully written you can feel Anita Shreves roots and she is a natural born writer, poetic, romantic, but realistic in her story telling. Its a story that will relate to us all, knowing weve all loved and lost at one point in our lives.

I finished this book and immeadiately sought out my husband in another room. I held him tightly knowing Id found him and wasnt letting him go anywhere!

Loved this book. Amazing.
on 24 March 2004
If you love Anita Shreve, read this - right to the end! It has a fantastic ending.
Recomended highly.
Shreve has the most irritating habit of not using speechmarks - she writes her speeches in italics. It's distracting and rubbish - why has she decided to abandon the basic rules of punctuation and invent her own style? Why? Could it be to make up for the fact that she has nothing to say?
I bought this book because of the glowing reviews I read here. I'm sorry I did. If this review stops one person from wasting a penny, it won't have been worth it. But if it stops two, it will.