5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class
Published on 21 Jun 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Very much NOT his best book.
Published on 1 Feb 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Class, 21 Jun 2001
By A Customer
Without doubt the funniest travelogue I have ever read. On the face of it the concept is a simple one, to follow the route of the 'first' Grand Tourist yet as the book progresses I was surprised by how little I knew of this fascinating historical phenomenon. However this is not just a hugely witty read as the book is also packed full of well researched facts and quotes which are intertwined cleverly to support his own journeys experiences. The down to earth honesty of his observations and ability to express thoughts which we've all had but simply cannot present so humorously allows the reader to really 'enter' the book and appreciate his perspective. Most important for me though is his ability to mix praise with criticism without becoming entangled in the Politically Correct fad which plagues so much of today's travel writing. Questions are asked and issues addressed which in some instances still remain very delicate but are dealt with sensitively rather than being trivialised through satire. I await the publication of French Revolutions with great anticipation, lets hope he can maintain the wonderfully high standard he has set himself.
Having to put the book down after the final page was a thoroughly depressing experience but if you fancy a chuckle which I suspect Tim Moore would share why not check the American reviews (amazon.com) where a couple of readers awarded a miserable 2 stars citing him as "an out of shape curmudgeon" and as being surprisingly difficult to comprehend despite an appreciation of Dickens .... cannon fodder for the next book I reckon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Bryson, 30 Oct 2012
D. M. Thomas (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Continental Drifter: Taking the Low Road with the First Grand Tourist (Paperback)
Having been a fan of Bill Bryson for many years I was delighted when I discovered Tim Moore a few years later, as I definitely saw parallels. With Continental Drifter, Moore out Brysons Bryson! I haven't laughed so much at a book since I first read Cold Comfort Farm 40 years ago. Simply one of the funniest travel books ever! I loved Spanish Steps too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another "laugh out loud" classic, 1 Feb 2010
Jacqueline Roberts "bookworm jax" (estepona, malaga, Spain) - See all my reviews
This was the third Tim Moore I'd read (after Spanish Steps and French Revolutions) and I enjoyed it as much as the other two. The author's observations and descriptions of his every day A to B is hilarious - not many books have had me laughing out loud on regular occassions. The research into the Grand Tourists of yesteryear is really fascinating as are the historical references throughout the book. Laugh a minute and you learn a lot - a great read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very much NOT his best book., 1 Feb 2002
By A Customer
Maybe Tim Moore is the victim of the very high standard of the books that came before and after this one. For some reason, he doesn't really seem that interested in what he is doing in Continental Drifter. The idea is a good one -- trying to recreate the Grand Tour -- but it is all a bit flat compared with his other adventures, as described in "Frost on my Moustache" and "French Revolutions". But, hey, it is not bad book by any means. It is interesting and informative, even if it doesn't grab you like the others, which show real genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very funny book, 13 Aug 2002
M. A. Carp "Tony Carp" (Merry Olde England) - See all my reviews
Tim Moore clad in a purple, velvet suit and driving a clapped-out Rolls Royce, follows Thomas Coryate (The original Grand Tourist & travel writer) around Europe.
Learn words like drainscrote & chuffjuggler as Moore draws comparisions of his own misadavntures with those of his 17th Century guide.
You will need a bookmark however - as Mr Moore does write exceedingly long chapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funnier than a hot date with a walrus, 5 Feb 2001
By A Customer
After having loved and laughed at Moore's last book about travelling around Iceland ('Frost on My Moustache'), I begged and nagged a journo-friend to get me a review copy to take on holiday with me. And boy, am I glad I did - it's even funnier than 'Frost'. Tim Moore travels round Europe in a monstrous Rolls Royce and an even worse velvet suit like a jumped-up student backpacker (with apparently the same budget) following in the footsteps of the rather pitiful Thomas Coryate, the man who gave Britain the fork. It's not travel writing as we know it; you never get Bill Bryson washing his underpants in a bidet or being on the receiving end of a really bad mullet in a swiss unisex hairdressers. And if you don't cry tears of pain when he takes a boat out on the canals of venice then there's something wrong with you. A really, really funny book.Really.

4.0 out of 5 stars Similar to Bryson, 7 Nov 2002
I hoped to find a more informed version of Bryson. I really enjoyed the tie-in of this travelogue with that of Coryate, the 'first Grand Tourist'. The use of this text, and what we learn of Coryate, was first rate. Thought provoking, sad and very funny. But the description of the places visited on the journey itself could have been written by Bryson: just as good as Bryson, but not better.
Perhaps Moore really did just whip round Europe and write it up as he went. If he wrote notes and embroidered them when he came back a bit more background reading first would have made this a stunning book.
I'd just been to Venice when I read Continental Drifter, and found the bit on this city frustratingly short, and thin on background. To say the least I don't write as wittily, but I knew enough about Venice to have written this after the first 2 days there. And this was the feeling I had for most of the book. I enjoyed reading it, but was glad to get to the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars An utter delight, 16 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Continental Drifter (Paperback)
As an enormous fan of the embarrassingly hilarious Frost on My Moustache, I picked up a copy of Tim Moore's latest book with some nervousness... But I needn't have been worried: if pressed I'd say it was funnier still, and in Thomas Coryate, Moore has unearthed one of history's tragi-comic heros. Read this and weep - with laughter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Less of Tim Moore and more of Thomas Coryate please, 7 May 2013
This is my second Tim Moore book I have read after reading his book on travelling around unloved Britain and this book for me does not live up to that one.

The idea of writing a book about the first grand tourist is an appealing one. He really puts across the character of Thomas Coryate very well. This eccentric and much maligned man in his day made an interesting read.And although Moore tried to travel in his footsteps his actual trip seemed a bit flat in comparison. He made no real insights into the places he visited and for me his humour was not as good as the previous book I have read. However I will stick with Tim Moore it was an ok book hence 3 stars. Going to give "Frost on my moustache" a go next.Hopefully this will be a better read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious, well written, brilliant!, 6 Dec 2012
I loved this book! It was very hard not continuously laughing out loud. You really felt you were alongside Tim Moore on his travels. Very well written, I would highly recommend reading this.

Continental Drifter: Taking the Low Road with the First Grand Tourist