4.0 out of 5 stars slow to start with but worth sticking with it
I'm a big fan of Brookmyre and yet again, he pulls it off with an inspired read.
A dark satirical look at modern day Scotland and, although the plot may seem far-fetched at first, in actual fact its worryingly believable!
Published on 29 Jun. 2004

2.0 out of 5 stars A pot-boiler by a writer going off the boil?
Published on 13 Feb. 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars slow to start with but worth sticking with it, 29 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Boiling A Frog (Paperback)
I did find it quite slow to start with but it was well worth persevering with it as the pace soon picked up and the story had me on the edge of my seat! In fact, by the end, I simply couldn't put it down!
Although this is admittedly not Brookymyre's best novel, it is a cracking read all the same and wholeheartedly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scary... But the best I've read in months!, 6 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Boiling A Frog (Paperback)
I started with 'Quite ugly...' because Prachett recommended it as a good reading in an interview. A few weeks later I was through all his published works and eagerly waiting for the 'Boiling...' to arrive.
As a not-native speaker of English languague it was quite a chore reading his slang-filled books, but it was worth it, oh yes, by far! Reading one of Brookmyres books I have encountered three feelings - laughter that makes passers-by turn their heads and tsk-tsk disapprovingly; recognition ('Wow, he writes about how the things really are!') and panic ('God, what if the things really are the way he describes them?')
'Boiling a Frog' is not the best first book of Brookmyre to read, but it's an eagerly awaited sequel for those who have enjoyed Parlabane's past 'adventuers'. My favourite is still 'Not the end of the world', though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for Brookmyre Babies, 4 May 2004
This review is from: Boiling A Frog (Paperback)
This was my first Brookmyre read, and I was astounded by the hours of enjoyment that I received from this novel; alas, they were simply over far too quickly.
Although, as I believe has been noted by others, a quite unbelievable plot, Brookmyre offers an original and witty take on the perilous nature of politics, religion, New Scotland and the nature of society in this dark and brooding tale.
A story that will keep you on the edge of your seat, and at times feeling rather queasy, (hacking people's heads off with saws, sharpened steel rulers through parts of the body, that sort of thing) I raced through the pages to find out how the truly addictive plot and characters could possibly sort out the mess they had got themselves into.
With a quite obviously marvellous talent for encompassing the reader into the deceitful world of the plot, I will certainly be looking to submerge myself into Brookmyre's world again sometime soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best book I've read this year., 28 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Boiling A Frog (Paperback)
I liked One Fine Day (which I read a few weeks before Boiling a Frog) but would have given it 7 out of 10 if asked. Boiling a Frog I finished at 3.15 in the morning..... As someone not getting enough sleep as it is (8 week old baby). it speaks volumes about the readability of this book that I was able to stay awake long enough to have to finish it. Excellent book. Good plot and it all ties up reasonably enough as well. Also gives you plenty to think about vis a vis the current political climate in UK. I checked my computer cache the following day... read the book to find out more...

5.0 out of 5 stars Satire at its best, 23 July 2003
This review is from: Boiling A Frog (Paperback)
I found this the most compelling of Brookmyre's books. The dialogue was sharp, humourous and realistic. Furthermore, the character development was superb as his is trademark. And, above all, it was very very funny.
Granted, the plot was unrealistic. But, on the other hand, this is, like his others, a satirical novel so this is not completely surprising. And in any case, the fast-moving and engaging writing style more than compensated for this.
Overall, a hugely enjoyable read.

2.0 out of 5 stars A pot-boiler by a writer going off the boil?, 13 Feb. 2001
This review is from: Boiling A Frog (Paperback)
A big Brookmyre fan, I was first in line for a copy of Boiling a Frog. Great disappointment! He's too good a writer to write a positively bad book, but this one is nowhere near up to his previous stuff. The story sounds good in synopsis, but takes ages to get going and lacks the usual eclectic and convincing mix of characters. Prison scenes dull, political intrigue duller. Most of the characters are unconvincingly monotone. Less funny, less exciting, just generally less.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too serious, 23 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Boiling A Frog (Paperback)
Having bought,enjoyed and passed all his books on like an evangelist, I have waited what seems like years for the paperback edtion of Boiling a Frog. To say that I was disappointed is an understatement,because whilst being a fully paid up aetheist, this book just seemed to be a rant about the catholics with a bit of politics thrown in for good measure. Nowhere near as funny as One Fine Day..and just a bit too serious for my tastes. Have to wait for the next one now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Murder mysteries should not be this funny!, 23 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Boiling A Frog (Paperback)
Not for the faint hearted or weak bladdered; Boiling a Frog is the latest in a line of excellent novels from Chris Brookmyre, ex movie journalist and St. Mirren supporter. Jack Parlabane has been up to his tricks again, only with Parlabane those tricks are kept under his jumper rather than up his sleeve. Chastised by the Scottish leagal system we catch up with him during his first interaction with another of those persons detained at Her Majisty's pleasure, The Sweariad soon ensues. There are passages in BaF that had me doubled up with laughter and this is a wonderfully common trait in Brookmyres' work. Urinary incontinance is not normally a problem I have but I was laughing so hard at times that it started to loom ever nearer on the horizon. Take Billy Connolly and combine hime with Ian Rankin and you might be lucky to get work of the same calibre. Brookmyres description of Scottish life and Scottish politics is spot on, many people have already drawn parallels with the Section 28 debachle and the plot of the book.I can't wait until "A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away" is published as it's sure to be thought provoking, offensive and riotously funny in equal measures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slow plot up until the end, 14 Sept. 2010
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boiling A Frog (Paperback)
Brookmyre's fifth novel sees the return of investigative journalist Jack Parlebane, thrown in jail for breaking and entering. It retains the same Scots dialect, black comedy and gory scenes as the previous novels, but the plot does not come across so well.

Most of the book is told out of chronological order - the main narrative being with Jack in jail, but interspersed with chapters detailing how this came to be and introducing the other elements of the plot. About two-thirds of the way through the whole thing switches back to 'real time' and from there the story flows much better.

The ideas behind the plot are as ludicrously believable and gloriously violent as usual, and the characters who populate Brookmyre's Scotland are well presented and varied. There are reappearances of a number of characters from earlier novels, some expanded in interesting directions and others seemingly there only as deus ex machina.

Overall, I can't say it was up to the usual standard, though certainly things picked up towards the end. I wouldn't recommend it over the other four I've read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Brookmyre's best, 17 Aug. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Boiling A Frog (Hardcover)
I have now read each of Christopher Brookmyre's 5 books, and have bought the last 3 as soon as they have been published. It really pains me to say this, but Boiling a Frog is not the best of the five by any means. It is without doubt a really good book, but does not keep your attention in the same way as most of the others have. What really irritated me was the way the book has a kind of 300 page introduction, most of which is setting the scene and jumping between time frames. I got so bored waiting for the action to begin that the book was nearly over by the time I had reached that point. Thankfully, Boiling a Frog has everyone's favourite journalistic hack in it, but Parlabane is relegated to a minor role in the first three-quarters of the book. Again, by the time the story centres on him and his antics, there is really nothing left to do but swing in and save the day. I'm a huge Christopher Brookmyre fan and have absolutely loved the last four books, but this one left me quite bored by the end. The character definition and devious plot are as well-crafted as ever, but the book never really gets going. A shame really. Still, go read all the others as they are excellent and should all be made into movies.....

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Boiling A Frog
Boiling A Frog by Christopher Brookmyre (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2002)