4.0 out of 5 stars Contains all a first novel shoud: violence, murder & comedy
I read this recently after a friend had recommended it sometime ago. I can only say I wish I'd read it sooner. This is a great first book, with all the fresh, dynamic offerings of great first novels such as Last Exit To Brooklyn (Selby), The Wasp Factory (Banks), and Less Than Zero (Ellis).
The basic plot is about the truly horrendous murder of a doctor in...
Published on 22 Jan. 2003 by R. Fox

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but only just...
Another book bought on the recommendation of Amazon. The book got off to a superb start with a gruesome murder, but a lot of great humour from the investigating police. I also enjoyed the fact that I recognised all the places mentioned in the book even though they had ficticious names. This helped greatly in picturing the various scenes throughout the book. Throughout the...
Published on 30 Aug. 2002 by GordonR

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the big surprise, 26 May 2001
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
"the scottish hiaasen" I heard, so gave it a go. terrifically funny. Ruder scottish jobbie humour, but it does suddenly go into genre thriller territory about halfway through, and I felt a bit let down. But then again, that was when my wife started to like it better.
I just did a wee review of stormy weather and the difference between them is that corruption in the NHS PPPs doesn't really measure up to the whole corrupt political and entreprenurial American thing. Scotland seems a bit small for this, like when you wonder how many murders people can put up with in Oxford (Morse) or Glasgow (Taggart) before it all just seems a bit silly.
I'm buying this one for the family this winter. Very, very funny, a good page turner, good stock thriller + scottish sensibilities. I'm looking forward to reading the rest.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Darn good read, 5 April 2006
A. Carr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
This book is quite simply a breath of fresh air.
The first chapter alone sets the scene for what will become the trademark conspiracy-ladden world that is Brookmyre's. Quite simply if you are not laughing in disbelief by the end of the first chapter you should check your pulse.
Yes some of the themes now seem a little dated but they are still very relevant and we all like reading about how the great have fallen.
Simply - wonderful

5.0 out of 5 stars Can`t believe I didn`t read this earlier, 2 Oct. 2012
This was the authors first novel, and from the first gory chapter it is an absolute gem. It`s in turns gripping, funny, nausea-inducing and shocking, but above all its a great story. I love the way the characters are introduced and fleshed out, before the plot starts to thicken and quicken. It seems to fill a gap that to me often exists when you are looking for a smart book which still entertains. You could maybe compare with that other illustrious Scots author, Ian Banks, but that is to do Mr Brookmyre an injustice, for his stye is quite unique. As I said, I don`t know why I missed out on this until now but I shall now be working my way through the catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Why have I waited so long to read this guy?, 9 Mar. 2012
K Dapre "Kate Dapre" (West Kilbride, Ayshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
I will be meeting Mr Brookmyre at an author event soon, so thought I'd best read one of his books. I don't know why I hadn't read him before as I am a big fan of crime fiction and particularly Scottish crime fiction. All I can say now is that I'm annoyed that I waited so long and I can't wait to read the rest of the back catalogue.

It's a crime novel, Jim, but not as we know it. Lots of (dark) humour, unlikely heroes/ heroines, great use of city locations. Reading it was made all the funnier as I have just started a new job with the NHS and will likely come into contact with senior management from NHS Lothian........

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what a ride!, 26 Dec. 2004
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
Not for the faint hearted - this story sure packs a punch. Quite simply one of the wittiest, sickest, slapstick, intriging, black and brilliant books I have read for a long time.
Christopher Brookmyre's writing style is fresh and rich and sick and twisted as this plot meanders through the underbelly of NHS schemes and political agenda's that play out in the colourful backdeop of Edinburgh.
The first chapter had tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks as it described the most disgusting scene - but so brilliantly written that it seemed glorious.
Pure genius!

4.0 out of 5 stars Blood, excrement and comedy gore, 24 Jan. 2010
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
Jack Parlabane is something of a para-journalist... whose skills seem more akin to a burglar or spy, and who does very little journalism throughout. When his new neighbour's corpse is found in rather unusual circumstances he teams up with the ex-wife of the deceased and a local police officer to investigate.

The story is fast moving, with new discoveries coming thick and fast, and unlike the majority of detective novels the reader is let in on who the baddies are and some of their plans fairly early on - and although in other books this has been a quite torturous approach as the investigation stumbles around, here it works. The scenes jump from character to character very quickly in a style very different from what I am used to reading, which causes a little confusion as you get re-oriented at the beginning of each chapter. Indeed, it was some time before I fell in to who was going to be the main character.

The book is a little crude. Okay, very crude. Not in terms of the writing but in terms of the amount of blood, excrement and otherwise detailed descriptions of comedy gore. It's certainly not horror, but black humour might be a better choice of label. It's generally not laugh out loud funny, but it's certainly not subtle - it is his first novel that I have read though, so it will be interesting to see how it develops.

It was in all an enjoyable quick read, though the characters are not incredibly deep and the whole romp is slightly less than believable - particularly some of the misfortune that befalls the bad guys. I'll stick with Brookmyre for book two.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Heh, there's a big keech on the mantelpiece, sir", 25 Mar. 2010
Eileen Shaw "Kokoschka's_cat" (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
A very early edition (1996) of the series of Glasgow noir with comic pathos and world-weary wit thrown in, Quite Ugly One Morning is the first of the series to feature journalist Jack Parlabane. It's also the winner of the inaugural First Blood Award for the best first crime novel of the year.

Parlabane comes round to a hangover and a horrible smell. It's coming from the flat below where someone has just been horribly murdered. The reader is thrown into the deep end of bodily evacuation material and one needs a strong stomach to get beyond the first few pages. Once Brookmyre has finished with the filth (double entendre intended) however, the plot pricks up its ears and sets off on a gallop from which there is scarcely a moment to gather breath. Some parts of the plot seem a trifle far-fetched, but Brookmyre is unforgiving about the institutions of our islands, in this case, Hospital Trusts. Once hospitals were run by Matron, now there is a whole top layer of chartered accountants, administrative bean-counters and the like - all busy papering over the fact that they operate on the obscene notion of making money out of sick people.

Parlabane gets his nose into a scandal and the matter of a strange number of bitten-off fingers, the death of thirty geriatrics, a small dog buried in next door's garden and a man in a shell suit. There's a little love interest along the way and a very satisfying finale. Good stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clearly for the Clerisy, 22 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Hardcover)
This is a stunning first book from a magnificent author. It was recommended to me by a guy in Waterstones last August and I have since read his entire canon and await his newest by re-reading the others.
This guy creates three-dimensional characters like Robertson Davies, of whom he is obviously a fan. His use of language is as picturesque and funny as Wodehouse. His dialogue is up there with Joe R Lansdale.
If you enjoy reading, are posessed of a sense of humour and don't mind laughing out loud, you will enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars quite ugly one morning, 3 Aug. 2011
Mrs. C. Grant (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
My husband suggested I read this book and after 5 pages I had to txt him to say I couldn't believe the things I found so funny and that they were also so disgusting. I love it the way the story and humour were so black. Its almost comic book like in what happens and not like anything I had previously read. I am now ordering a copy as my daughter wants to read it and I can't find my copy. A great read and staying in the central belt you can visulise where everything takes place. Great read!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sick sense of humour, 26 Mar. 2009
P. Innes (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quite Ugly One Morning (Paperback)
This was the first of Brookmyre's books that I read. He has a very sick sense of humour which appeals to me. It's nice to read a book that is close to your home town and helps the imagination. As soon as I finished reading this I went out and bought All fun and games until someone loses an eye - again very funny. I am now hooked on Brookmyre!!

If you want very realistic plots these books probably arent for you as some are far fetched but will give you 'big belly laughs'!

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

Quite Ugly One Morning
Quite Ugly One Morning by Christopher Brookmyre (Paperback - 3 July 1997)