5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent! Thoroughly recommended.
I was not a huge Elvis Presley fan when I started reading the first volume of Guralnick's superb biography of "The King".However, once I started the book, I was both entralled and it sent me to the records. For me, there can be no higher praise for a music biography. Guralnick tells the story of Elvis's upbringing, his early career and finally his entry into the...
Published on 4 Oct 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Not in good condition
This product arrived on time and was sent through the letter box when I opened the packaging the product was damaged and the front cover was damaged and so was the back cover and a few pages, it was a present for my nan she was pleased with it but was a bit disgusted the condition of it and felt like I was giving her a rubbish present
Published 2 months ago by shell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Last Train To Memphis, 29 Feb 2012
This review is from: Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book immensely on the life of Elvis. I would definite recommend it to fellow Elvis fans. I had to finish it an then went out to buy the follow up....

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 25 Aug 2007
This book is just fantastic ! Probably the best Elvis book I have ever read. A must read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis Presley has never been so real, 28 Sep 2012
Muso (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
Given the mountain of literature I've read on the life of Elvis Presley, I would have imagined there was very little left to learn, until I read this book. 'Last Train To Memphis' is the definitive account of the man and the musician. Painstakingly researched, informative and entertaining, the writer has drawn on accounts from people who were actually there and who are very much part of the story he is telling. For the first time the myth of Elvis is stripped away leaving a description of a likeable albeit completely driven young man. It is very difficult for anyone under a certain age to understand the impact Elvis had on 1950's America and shortly afterwards...the planet! To quote John Lennon "Before Elvis, there was nothing!". This book will go some way to enlighten how he redefined both popular music and popular culture.
It is a quite stunning biography, one of the best I have every read. I would highly recommend it to both Elvis fans & anyone who has an interest in the history of pop/Rock music.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ELVIS BOOK TO OWN!, 3 Feb 2010
J. Purdy (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
I read Careless Love (the second half of EP's life) before I read this account of the first half of Elvis' life - from his humble beginnings and supersonic rise to superstardom in 56 to his draft into the Army.
It is a brilliant read, thoroughly researched as one would expect from Peter Guralinick. A must for your EP book collection. Take yourself back in time and re-live the most fascinating story of the biggest star of our times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 July 2014
EXCELLENT BUT SAD

5.0 out of 5 stars Reading this now, 15 May 2013
Very interesting best book I have currently read about Elvis,trouble is I can't put it down reading until all hours.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my cup of tea, 20 April 2013
Found this went into much, much more detail than I needed or was capable of remembering. One for the true fans

5.0 out of 5 stars An Eye Opener, 15 Mar 2013
Super smooth transaction. As described and a great product. Recommended seller. I have many publications by this Author on Elvis and all are informative as he has a great insight into Elvis.

3.0 out of 5 stars The first 140 pages are only for hardcore Elvis-fans, 25 Nov 2010
Peter Thomsen (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I bought this book. But I have to warn people, that the first 140 pages could be a bit boring. That means until page 140 (out of aprx. 420 p.: "You still read about Blue Moon of Kentucky and That's Allright Mama". There are many fine details about the early days, but it moves far too slow. - It doesn't mean, that I would not buy the vol. 2 book - which I'll do. What I want to hear more about is the background of the films, which I'm a very big fan of. In fact I love all Elvis films, and think they are very unterrated. I hope the interesting things and the fun starts from page 140, when things get into Love Me Tender, Loving you and Jailhouse Rock.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley
Last Train To Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick (Paperback - 2 Nov 1995)
9.79