4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written story of love and ecology
Like many people, I first encountered Kingsolver's work through the magnificent The Poisonwood Bible. After finishing it, I turned to her other novels - one of which was Animal Dreams. To a certain extent, it's a disappointing read in comparison with the scale of The Poisonwood Bible: it lacks the different narrators with their compelling and individual voices and the...
Published on 20 Aug 2004 by alpha2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard work
I am an avid reader and usually don't struggle to get through a book, but this was a lot of effort. Really didn't get into it
Published 8 months ago by J. Dixon

1.0 out of 5 stars OUCH!, 16 July 1998
This review is from: Animal Dreams (Paperback)
I was forced to read this book for a college english class I took. It was pure torture. Kingsolver describes everything in such a tedious fashion, it makes you want to find the nearest blunt object and bludgeon yourself to death with it. If you are on your own free will, do not buy this book. If you do...may god have mercy on your soul.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious, middle-brow, melodrama, 13 May 1999
This review is from: Animal Dreams (Paperback)
Of all the literature I have ever read in my life, nothing has ever inflicted more pain. I was constantly overwhelmed by an urge to impale the book against the nearest object that would suffice for the task. At one point, my desperation became so acute that I actually attempted to eat the text in an attempt to end the suffering. The book is nothing more than trite melodrama. Its theme -going back to your roots, rediscovering your identity and finding your true place within the world- is likewise trite, as well as pretentious. Kinksolver seems to have an obsessive compulsive tendency towards excessive metaphor usage. Belongs in the nearest trash heap along with all the other mediocre literature ever written.

1.0 out of 5 stars Were I not afflicted with the vagaries of maleness..., 18 Oct 1998
This review is from: Animal Dreams (Paperback)
... perhaps I would have appreciated this work. I simply did not. After a great deal of reflection, I conclude that this book is pure pulp trash.

Animal Dreams
Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver (Paperback - 28 May 1992)