5.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful advice
Published on 26 Jan 2010 by F. Marlow

3.0 out of 5 stars This book did not revolutionize my life
I bought this book because that was exactly what I wanted to do - stop worrying and start living. However it did not really help me do that, I think because my problem is quite serious (I have an anxiety disorder) not because the book has no merit. If you are a chronic worrier or if you need a better work/life balance this book might well help you. It is packed full of...
Published on 14 Aug 2006 by A. Cardellini

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of useful advice, 26 Jan 2010
F. Marlow (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is for you if you feel you are the type of person who is not fully living in the present because you are anxious about the past and/or future. Perhaps you feel you are unlucky in life, are depressed or that life is not quite working out as well as you had wanted and are looking for some inspiration. Dale has an answer to all these problems, the delivery is quite old-fashioned but he uses wisdom passed down about life from years ago that people are still 'discovering today'. He really explains not only how to stop worrying but how to live your life more fully and happily no matter what life has thrown at you and to face the future without fear.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Book is Like Compound-W for Worry Warts, 20 Nov 2009
Dale Carnegie wrote some great books back in the 30's and 40's, and this book is one of them- Carnegie fans won't be disappointed.

The writing style is classic Carnegie. To put it simply, the guy just writes like he talks. This makes for a very friendly and easy to understand book, rather like a good friend giving you a piece of advice.

And a lot of advice he gives. The book is divided up into ten sections, each one tackling some aspect of worrying. I could give you a rundown of the topics, but you don't really need me to repeat the table on contents to decide if you want to read the book. Rather, let me just say that book covers just about every major "worry issue" that might be causing a troubled mind, such as your work, your finances, other people's criticisms- and them some.

While there are no earth-shattering, never-before-seen tips in the book, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to recommend it to anyone who is looking to ease their mind a bit. That's because it does a GREAT job of conveying simple wisdom that really make you think good and hard about why you're worrying and if those things are really worth worrying about at all.

In short, its a bestseller because it makes a lot of sense and its advice can do a lot to re-frame your thinking about things. And if you can re-frame your thinking, well, you've about found the best "Compound-W" for worry warts. Readers who enjoyed this book might also enjoy "Finding Happiness in a Frustrating World".

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my life, 26 July 2008
I read this book for the first time in 1990 and it changed my life.

I was one of those young people too focused on their problems (mainly: unrequited love, perhaps the biggest tragedy of them all at that age) to look at how many blessings they have, how many reasons to rejoice, at what a beautiful gift every day is.

I can honestly say that I have never forgot the lesson and the new thinking sparkled by this book has slowly but surely changed my life for the best.

Dale Carnegie has an unassuming, simple, candid way of writing which goes straight to your heart. Nothing of what he says is "new" (no one ever writes anything "new"), but his way to really speak to the heart of the reader is unique in my entire reading experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of life's little essentials!, 6 April 2009
A. Quickfall (England) - See all my reviews
After reaching a bit of a crossroads in life, and sick of life's woes getting me down, I searched for 'worry' and this little gem popped up. Based on real people's stories and full of inspirational quotes, it is full of what we should really already know but have so far failed to put into practice in real life. I find myself quoting from it on a daily basis.It really puts life into perspective and is now my handbook to life. It has inspired me to contact old friends with whom I had lost touch, stop stressing about the silly things and live each day to it's fullest. Since reading, I have taken the plunge on many life changing decisions and have stopped putting off living until tomorrow. I have booked holidays, had fun and appreciated life that little bit more. This book is a must to anyone who feels a little bit lost or a little too anxious and arenot really sure why. An essential read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Today Is The Day You Worried About Yesterday., 24 Jun 2009
This book is an easy read, perhaps because of its relevance to life's concerns. I have read several 'self help', or popular psychology books over the years, and can recognise that those authors must have used this as a source for their work.
The author helps you get the most from the book by suggesting you highlight key phrases that are relevant to you, that you can put into action. There are chapter summaries, which help you extract the essence of the message given in the stories and recommendations.
In effect, you could read all the 'In A Nutshell' sections, but the personal stories help you to drive home the techniques.
I think one of the most effective method outlined, is to:

1. Write down the problem.
2. Think 'What's the worst that could happen?'
3. Can I accept the worst happening?
4. If the worst is to happen, how can I make the best of it?

I used to be anxious about how certain situations were going to turn out; I would run things over in my mind to try and prepare for all eventualities. Until I tried the technique of 'living in day-tight compartments': 'I know no man living can possibly figure out what is going to happen in the future. There are so many forces that will affect that future!...So why worry about them?'

When you boil it down, the success we strive for is being able to solve our problems, in order to enjoy life, despite circumstances.
This book goes a long way in fulfilling this aim.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unconcerned, 2 Jan 2008
I was worried that this book wouldn't turn up. But it did. I was also worried that it wouldn't work (I'm a very worried person). But it did. I was worried that it might cost too much but, in fact, it was excellent value for money. Before I read this book I would have been worried that nobody would read this review, but I think they will. And I'm also confident that they'll really like it and find it helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great teachings, but a bit too much waffle, 20 Nov 2010
This book is great. At the end there are some really personally applicable teachings. Like "live in day-tight compartments".

When you read this book the good thing is that (especially with me) I start making connections to the teaching and thinking "oh, i can do that."

The hardest bit is actually applying those teachings to your everyday life. Any of us can read a book, but for it to help us, application is the only thing that is going to change our current worry habits.

The flaw with the book is the fact that it waffles way too much about famous people in the past. I mean a few examples are fine, but remember we want a book at our own level. We are not all american presidents and famous leaders, most of us are just normal human beings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reminds us of what we should already know, 19 Sep 2002
Mr. J. Walmsley "The Finch" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
This book is not about providing the reader with ground breaking ideas that involve massive leaps of faith to follow. Positive thinking is not a religion. Instead it makes you realise things that deep down you already know. For example how many of us think that we can change the past? Not many I would assume, yet people still often act as if worrying about a past event is of some use. A quick read of this book and you will hopefully come to realise the foolishness of such actions and change the way you look at things. I now find myself quoting sayings from this book such as "Don't try and saw sawdust" where I would normally have regressed to worrying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop worrying start buying, 17 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This is a superb book which for me had life changing consequences. The book may not change your life, but it's virtually guaranteed to change your perspective on it, which is the most important thing.
The book may be fifty odd years old, but that actually benefits the reader, in even todays world. It shows you how well the book was written and reminds you (as the author does) that life won't stop for anybody so make the most of it.
The points made by Mr Carnegie are simple and concise, and have timely quotations dropped in. He has done a great job in collating lots of small facts from a lot of different sources and putting them in a simple and enjoyable read covering not only the philosophy of worrying but also the health implications.
If, like me you are fed up of being classed as a "deep thinker" and have a tendancy to analyse everything to death then get this book. It will help you put the correct perspective on life and banish stupid worry forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars How To Stop Worrying And Start Living, 2 July 2009
Absolutely fantastic! I bought this book many years ago and recently needed another copy. I recomended it to most of my friends and they loved it too. Book is very simple, it does not give some over the top ideas, does not make you to change over night. But it does make you think and just after few pages you look at yourself from different point of view. It also contains many real-life examples for inspiration. The title is a little bit stupid, but what's inside is a pure gold. The best self-help book I have ever read. I have read it at least 30 times and I know some parts of it by heart. You will not regret buying it -worth every penny!

A Case of Knives
A Case of Knives by Candida Mcwilliam (Paperback - 1 Feb 1989)
6.54