4.0 out of 5 stars Under the Never Sky
For the first 50 pages of this book I was fully prepared to give up on it. I was beyond confused at the new world we are dropped into with very little explanation and didn't have a clue what was going on. But then it all clicked into place and from then on I was hooked.

Published on 25 Feb 2012 by Vicki @ Cosy Books

3.0 out of 5 stars under the never sky
I have been waiting for this book for what seems like an age. The ideas behind it sounded awesome and I literally couldn't wait to get stuck in.

Published on 24 Feb 2012 by Kirsty at the Overflowing Library

4.0 out of 5 stars Under the Never Sky, 25 Feb 2012
Vicki @ Cosy Books - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The book begins with Aria. Her world in the pod is alien and complex and at first I really struggled to get to grips with it. Veronica Rossi doesn't ease the reader in slowly, more plonks them right in and I truley felt I was in another world. Once I got my head round the ideas though I absolutely loved it. It doesn't take too much to imagine a world where people live in a virtual reality. Where Aria's world is futuristic, on the outside Perry's is primeval. The people on the outside live in clans and at the mercy of the elements. I loved the contrast between the two, though immediatly preffered Perry's. Despite the dangers the outsiders faced I'd take that over a life stuck in a pod where you have everything you wanted or could imagine, though none of it is real. The aether itself is a constant, threatening presence and is described so vividly I could see it in my mind, despite the fact I had no idea what it was to begin with.

Told in a switching third person narrative by both Aria and Perry, Veronica Rossie ensures we really get to know both of these characters very well. I didn't like Aria to begin with, but throughout the book she developes into a strong heroine. There isn't a pivitol moment where this happens, she doesn't suddenly turn from protected weakling to kick-ass. It's a quiet and believable progression. Perry on the otherhand was fascinating from the start (and also particularly swoon worthy!). If I'm ever stuck in a post apocalyptic world, he's the guy I want with me. As with Aria's developement, Rossi takes a slow approach to the romance in this book. And wow, did I get fully caught up with it. There's no instant attraction here, the pair connect through need rather than want and the chemistry between the pair is as electrifying as the aether that constantly threatens them.

Despite the slow start, Under The Never Sky turned into a fast paced, thrilling ride which had me hooked. It's tough, bloody and action packed at times with some heart stopping moments that kept me turning pages as fast as I could. Although I was baffled with the world to begin with, Rossi captures it so well that once you get it, it becomes believable, detailed and developed, so much so that while reading it I felt I was actually there. I would like to know what happened to make the world how it is in Under the Never Sky, as this isn't covered. Maybe that will come in following books in this series, which judging by the ending of this one promise to be every bit as good. If you like your dystopia worlds bleak and ruthless with an action packed and fast paced plot, then I recommend Under The Never Sky.

3.0 out of 5 stars under the never sky, 24 Feb 2012
Kirsty at the Overflowing Library (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

I must admit up until about 100 pages in I was fully prepared to give up on this book. I was bored and I was struggling to keep on top of what was happening because I found the story telling clunky, the ideas hard to get my head around and the voices between the split narrative not distinct enough. That said once I got a bit further I started to get into it a bit more and by the end I had enjoyed what I had read so while I'm not convinced this was a great standalone novel I have high hopes the series as a whole could be good.

In the end the thing that kept me reading was the relationship between the two main characters Aria and Perry. After a while of being together they both soften towards one another and start working as a team. It is then through this working together you start to see their different worlds through the other one's eyes and it starts to make sense. You also start to root for them as a couple and that makes the story much more interesting to follow. Once you get into that you start to understand a bit more of the whole world set up and start to unravel all the little details that build up the world they are in and understand why things as they are.

All in all not my favourite book of the year but a series I hope will be awesome.

2.0 out of 5 stars very very disappointed., 17 Nov 2012
I had very high hopes for Under the Never Sky and sadly I was very disappointed. It started out great with an amazing action packed first couple of chapters but then I have no idea what happen it just slowed right down and left me really bored until about page 200 and the story picks up again.

Under the Never Sky is told from two POV, Aria and Perry and I think this is a big part of the disappointment for me. The two characters just didn't click so the POV change didn't flow well. Aria, Im not going to lie I didn't like her one bit. To me she comes across as selfish and whiny and I just wanted to slap her! And her relationship with Perry I just didn't get at all. Perry is actually very likable and I really enjoyed reading his chapters. He has a very interesting background that I would have liked to have learn more about. The relationship between him and Aria just felt forced. Would have been alot better if it was left out.

The world which this is set confused me alot. There wasn't enough world building for me to follow the story and how it was created. Even by the end of the book nothing was really explained and that really annoys me. There is so much going on the book that half of the time I didn't know what was going on and why certain aspects were even in because the seemed pointless to me like the Blood Lord thing with Perry I thought that was so boring and useless to storyline. What would have been fantastic was learning about how the Outsiders came about but that was another thing that was skimmed over.

However, as I said above I did start to like it around page 200. The story picks up and is quite fast paced that I did find myself wanted to know what will happen next and I really enjoyed it when Aria was learning to fight that was pretty interesting. I will no doubt read book 2 because the ending was good and finishes on a cliffhanger.

There is no doubt that Veroncia Rossi has quite an imagination and for a debut the book isn't that bad. There is a few aspect that I liked, like Perry and the end but it wasn't enough safe this book for me. However this is just my opinion I know alot of readers who adored this book so please give it ago and see for yourself. I hope you all enjoy it better than I did it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: Under the Never Sky (Hardcover)
If you've read some of my reviews before then you'll have noticed that I struggle when writing reviews on books that I love. So please don't expect this review to be a work of art, because it won't be. It's recommended that you expect tonnes of gushing and squee-ing, just to be prepared!

Under the Never Sky is told in third person, from alternating points of view, which I wasn't expecting! It was a great wait to get inside the characters' heads whilst still being able to differentiate between them easily, rather than having to go back to the first page of each chapter just to check. NOT that you would have to do that anyway, because Aria and Perry are totally different!

The world that Veronica Rossi has created is unlike anything I have ever read before. I love dystopian novels but I have to say that sometimes they can become very repetitive as a lot are very similar. This world, however, is outstanding! I can't describe my love for everything in this world, from the Pods which the people who rely on technology live in to the tribes that live on the complete other side of the spectrum.

Aria is one of the Dwellers that live in the Pods, and Perry is an Outsider whose brother is a Blood Lord for the Tides tribe. They lived completely different lives until Aria was forced away from her home, and they already had opinions on each other due to how they lived. Both of them are likable - or loveable, depending - and I loved reading from each of their points of views to read about the way they felt about things and each other. Both characters were wonderfully developed, and went through lots of character growth throughout the novel. I particularly liked Perry, but I think he's my favourite of the pair because I am in love with him. That's fair, though, right?

There was no insta-love between Perry and Aria, which was most excellent. You know how I hate it when characters experience love at first sight. Perry and Aria pretty much despised each other to begin with, and I loved reading about their growing relationship throughout the course of the story.
The plot is fast paced and gripping, and I could not put this book down once I started reading. I read it through the night, and when it ended I was left wanting more, but that's not a fault. It's because I'm in love with these characters and this world! I hope to see a lot more of Perry and Aria in the sequel, as well as Roar because I loved him too. He is awesome. *hugs*

I would have liked a bit more fighting at the end, but that's just because I am strange and like lots of blood and killing. I'm perfectly happy with what I got, so there's no way I'm rating the book down because of that.

I told you there would be some rambling, sorry! Regardless of how bad my review is, Under the Never Sky is a beautifully written debut that I could not put down, even for a second. I highly recommend this to people who enjoy dystopias, and to those who like a smidge of science fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi, 13 Aug 2012
One of the great things about dystopian novels is that they can take place in any setting in the future. I think that's what I love so much about them - which each one takes on its own identity about what our future could be like.

Veronica Rossi's debut novel, Under the Never Sky, takes all of my perceptions of the future in a blender and pulverises them. In a good way, no less. Under the Never Sky was a complete mind bender, but in a good sense. Rossi has turned something that's more science fiction/fantasy than anything else into a genre that's not only marketable, but readable too.

This is the story of Aria, a girl who has always grown up in the Pods, an underground cave like city, who gets exiled to the outside world. Yet it's not just her story, it is Perry's also, the Outsider who has only known the world that he lives in, the world that Aria thinks is full of death. It's about how two young people, who are more alike than they think they are, come together.

What appeals to me most about Under the Never Sky is how much detail is in this book. It's hard to create something from scratch and keep it up the whole way through - only a few select YA authors like JK Rowling and Cassandra Clare can create complex worlds that actually stay steadfast through a series, and Under the Never Sky did this in one book. The senses play an important role in this novel, meaning that the flow of Rossi's writing is emotional and fast-paced. The action is spread out through the entire book, but in such a way that doesn't leave you bored reading it.

I'll have to admit at first I wasn't quite so taken. In fact, it took me a while to get used to the concepts of the world that Rossi has created; as the reader, you dive straight in to the action, which while a good thing, it can also be a bad thing. While most of the back story is pretty self explanatory - like what the Unity was, what the Outsiders consider to be the better Senses etc, there are many questions left unanswered. For example, the Aether, a series of storms that have a deadly affect on the population (is what my interpretation of them were). We don't actually find out how the Outsiders managed to survive through this apocalypse, let alone function in the outside world. Then again, I guess that's half the fun of waiting on a sequel, isn't it?

Before I go any further, I must say how much I loved how music plays a big part of the novel. It's very subtle, but you'll notice it as the book progresses. Especially considering that Aria is a musical term for an expressive melody - think in terms of O Mio Babbino Caro from Puccini's Gianni Schicchi, Habanera from Bizet's Carmen and yes, that aria from Tosca. At least, I imagine that this is the aria Aria sings!

Then we have our two main characters - Aria and Perry. Two completely different people who have more in common than they realise. Though we know that they are going to, as nicely as you can say `get together', Rossi manages to do it in a subtle way, so that it's not so in your face. While you have the standard two people who hate each other but eventually fall in love syndrome, what I loved most about this relationship is that the feelings and emotion is mainly seen through Perry's eyes rather than Aria's.

Overall, Under the Never Sky was a fascinating, scintillating read that will have many on the edges of their seats and wishing the next book will hurry up and come out soon. After my initial read, I've found that I enjoyed the book a lot more than I originally thought I did.

On a side note, I'm extremely divided by the covers for this book. The picture I have put up reflects the cover that I have, after purchasing the book in Australia. Although I do quite like the other cover as well...opinions?

3.0 out of 5 stars I can see where it wants to go, 21 Dec 2014
I can’t pinpoint whether I enjoyed this book or not. On one hand, I really loved the story it told, I loved the pacing, the world and (most) of the characters. But on the other hand, there was just a little oomph missing from everything within the book to make it as amazing as it had the potential to be.

Let’s start with what the dystopian future is like in Rossi’s novel. There are crazy storms, called Aethers, that threaten everyone whether you live inside the protected domes or not (which basically, then, what’s the point of the domes anyway?). The people who live inside the Domes (nicknamed Dwellers) basically don’t have lives, they live inside virtual worlds called Realms which you access through a device called a Smarteye where you change what you look like, go wherever you fancy, have whatever talents take your picking… basically heaven, because anything is possible in these Realms. I liked the idea of the Smarteyes and the Realms - they felt fancy and interesting and at first really made me want to have a go, but also they were realistic which is something important in dystopia. I could see something like Smarteyes and Realms being invented in real life. I mean, look at Google Glass! That’s practically a Smarteye right there,

The people who live outside the Domes (nicknamed Outsiders) live (yes, you guessed it!) really primitive lives. Fires, hunting animals, living in dirty shacks, all that jazz. All the same old stuff we’ve seen before. The clashes of two different worlds - one person from the Outside world and one person from the Domes are forced together. I’ve read this idea many times before. Through that, I suppose I could say it lacked originality, but the whole dystopian world Rossi made did feel new to me. It was nice, but nothing more.

I could see clearly where Rossi got her inspiration for some of the things. Other, very famous, dystopian novels had creeped into her own: the authority-like figure telling the girl to do something for him or else the people she loves will die (like Collins’ Catching Fire with Katniss and Snow); the segregation between one type of people and the other (like Roth’s Divergent with the factionless and etc.); the Outsiders lives being difficult and old-fashioned (like Olivers Pandemonium). But hey ho, I say. Writers gotta get their inspiration from somewhere, and Rossi chose some really great (although some terribly cliche) aspects to inspire her for Under the Never Sky.

I really liked some characters, Roar and Marron in particular due to their humour and niceness. Aria, our main girl, was a little weedy and pushy in my own opinion, but I loved how well paced out her character was. She didn’t fall into Outsider life easily or quickly. Nothing was instant. Rossi made us wait and despite that, the book still was alive in each page. Perry, our main boy, was okay. But nothing more. Like I said earlier, this book just lacked so much oomph. However, another great thing with the pacing was that the main romance within the book (you can smell it from a mile off) was very slow indeed at the start. The pair just did what they had to do, and that was that. When the romance actually started, however, I felt like Rossi really va-voomed it up, put the fast-forward on too much for two people who’d gone through so much. It was as if she trying to make up for lost snogging time.

One thing that annoyed me so much (almost angered me) was the fact that at one point (this is NOT a spoiler, please don’t worry, I wouldn’t want to spoil anyone!), Aria witnessed the live beheading of a man who was standing about six feet away from her and she was not mentally scarred by this. I know she isn’t Annie Cresta from Suzanne Collins’ Mockingjay, but good lord, everyone in this book seemed so calm about murder! They went from killing people to kissing people in seconds without a hint of consciousness at all. I understand it may have been self defence, but at least Katniss Everdeen was forever haunted by the people she had to kill. She didn’t just kill someone then go off and make out with Peeta or Gale the very next moment.

Overall, I can say now I think I did enjoy this book. Well, I’m going to read the next one which is called Through the Ever Night, so you can tell for sure that it actually did keep me on tenterhooks. It ended on such a bad way though. Rossi should have kept the readers waiting with a good old cliffhanger. Nothing cliche or overused about a cliffhanger. It’s what keeps us readers alive.

4.0 out of 5 stars Persevere! Wonderful story, but takes a while to get used to., 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Under The Never Sky: Number 1 in series (Paperback)
Under The Never Sky is a part survival, part adventure, part romance story - following two main characters, Aria and Peregrine.
Aria is a dweller. She lives in an enclosed, dome shaped society called Reverie. In Reverie, dwellers can be found wearing a smarteye - this is a nifty little gadget, enabling its wearer to live in a virtual reality. A world where thoughts can manifest right in front of their (smart)eyes. However, it's not all fun and games...there are rules, and when Aria and her friends break these rules, she is thrown out of Reverie and forced to survive in the outside world.
In comes Peregrine, or Perry. Perry is an outsider, a savage. He lives in a rural society with very little food; blood lords, inherited gifts and harsh environmental conditions.
The two reluctantly join forces.

When venturing into a new world, I'm gonna need some information. You can't just fling me into unknown territory, without giving me details. This lack of world building left me feeling lost and confused. I was unable to completely emerse myself within the story (during the first half of the book anyway). I loved the concept of this world, it is so complex and interesting - the smart eyes, the inherited gifts, blood lords and environmental problems. This is why I needed more. I simply needed the answer to a fundamental question - How did the world come to be this way? The story did pick up towards the second half of the book and I began to adjust and figure things out. Since 'Under The Never Sky' is the first book in a series, I hope that the next couple of books can fill in the gaps.

There's books that you love for the world they're set in; there's books that you love for the characters; and then there's books that are just perfect *cough, Harry Potter, cough*.
It was the characters that made this book for me - they surely redeemed some lost points.

Aria: Ok, she was a little bratty at the beginning of the story. She makes some ignorant choices, putting herself and Perry in even more danger, but this also shows her independence. She is eager to learn how to defend and protect herself. Equal parts scared and excited, Aria explores the real world, learning more about herself along the way. I also loved the story behind her name.

Perry: Perry has a tough life and I found it easy to sympathise with him. He is a likeable, yet complex character with a layered personality. I was interested to know more about him and his society.

Roar: I loved this guy. He is easy going, good natured and comical, creating wonderful relationships with everyone around him. After reading this book, I found out that there's a prequel, telling the story of Roar and Liv - I'd definitely love to find out more about their relationship.

The Romance between Aria and Perry was told perfectly. It didn't feel rushed or forced - but instead developed realistically, through facing obstacles and spending time together. Any preconceived notions about each other were dispersed, Aria even began to smell better to Perry (don't ask). I was fully invested in their relationship and I wanted them to be together.

Although I had a few problems with the world building, once I had got over that, I was hooked. The ending left a great opening for the second book, so now I'm desperately waiting for my request to come in at the library.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Relationships, 12 Sep 2014
This is the story of relationships in a strange dystopian world. Not just the inevitable love interest which is brilliantly written but family relationships. The relationship between the two lead characters is engaging and a good read. The relationship I really loved was that between Perry and his nephew. The strong character development from this author makes these relationships believable and you feel that you invest in all of them.

The story is thought provoking and warm in many places. There is sadness, joy, laughter and anger all in equal parts. I love this new strange land that Rossi has designed although I have to admit I hope in future novels we find out more of the history of this strange land.

The ending to this book is perfect. It rounds the story of completely and could in fact be a stand alone novel. However, with the excellent characters that have been described by the author I know I have to pick the next book up and spend some more time with all my favourite new fictional friends.

4.0 out of 5 stars Under the Never Sky, 20 Aug 2012
Under the Never Sky has a pretty slow start. Luckily, I had been forewarned about this otherwise I think I may have given up on this book quite quickly. During the first 50-60 pages or so, the book launches us into a completely new world that isn't explained too well. Confusing is an understatement. I had no idea what was going on at all. Luckily, once this part is over, everything clicks into place quite nicely and it all made a lot more sense.

Aria, the female protagonist of the story, narrates part of this book. Chapters are alternated between her and Perry, the male protagonist. I really like this way of telling a story as it makes it possible to really get to know both characters. Once Aria leaves her safe home of the Pod and is forced into the wasteland, she has no idea what is going on or how she will survive. Her home is one that is very futuristic where she is able to go wherever she wants in a virtual reality system. The outside is extremely different and so are the people. Where Aria is used to her way of life, Perry is used to something else completely.

I really enjoyed the contrast between Aria's home and Perry's. Aria's home is reliant on technology whereas Perry only relies on his senses, hunting and basic ways of survival. The alternating narratives help to show how each character copes in their newfound situations and I could easily see the differences due to their upbringings. The way in which Perry lives has quite a complex background to it and this was one of the most interesting parts of the book. I loved learning more about the ways of his tribe and how everything worked.

A lot happens in Under the Never Sky but the pace seemed pretty slow for the most part. I think this was mainly to do with the fact that Aria and Perry travel around quite a lot so some time is spent walking or hunting etc. However, during these times character development is strong as there is a fair amount of dialogue and getting to know each other. The pair, with an obvious romance about to happen, take things extremely slow and they don't even like each other to begin with. Veronica Rossi builds up the tension between the two characters and lets things progress at an even pace.

Even though this book had a really slow start and was so confusing, I really enjoyed it in the end. The world created is an extremely interesting one and the characters are amazing. Under the Never Sky reignited my interest in dystopian novels!

4.0 out of 5 stars Get past the imperfect beginning and you'll be rewarded, 11 July 2012
TG "What I Read and What I Thought" (London, England) - See all my reviews
The first 100 pages of Under the Never Sky are a bit lacking - not bad, but it takes that long for the story to really click. The story starts to take off when main characters Perry and Aria finally meet and, united by a common goal, begin to travel together.

The strength of Under the Never Sky, for me, is the relationship between the two main characters. Perry and Aria have it all: Hepburn/Tracy-style banter (or Ron/Hermoine-style if you don't get that reference), hot chemistry (the fact that Perry is ripped and shirtless helps this along significantly) and most importantly, true friendship that's built up gradually over the pages.

Don't let this make you think Under the Never Sky is all romance. It's not; the romance works so well primarily because it's not allowed to overtake all the other character and story development. The novel is very action-packed; every step Aria and Perry take leads them into higher stakes and greater danger and there are some very well done fighting and battle scenes. The end reveal is a triumph, too, managing to both make perfect sense and be truly shocking.

I think most readers who like sci-fi/dystopia/apocalyptic stories will end up liking Under the Never Sky. For its genre, it pretty much does everything right: Well plotted, lots of action, with strong characters to pull it off. Get through the imperfect beginning and you'll be rewarded with a solidly entertaining read.

Under The Never Sky: Number 1 in series
Under The Never Sky: Number 1 in series by Veronica Rossi (Paperback - 8 Jan 2013)