4.0 out of 5 stars The plot is finally moving forward again.
Published on 4 Feb. 2012 by Detra Fitch

1.0 out of 5 stars A pity, if I'm honest.
Published on 5 Feb. 2012 by Ella-Lou

4.0 out of 5 stars The plot is finally moving forward again., 4 Feb. 2012
Detra Fitch (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Zoey Redbird is safe with her Guardian Warrior, Stark, by her side. Stevie Rae, the first Red High Priestess, is safe with her mate, Rephaim, by her side too. Even Aphrodite, who is not really human or vampyre, has her Guardian Warrior, Darius, always close at hand. Though they and the others reside at the Tulsa Depot, each night they bus to the Tulsa House of Night for their daily lessons. It is difficult to get an education when you must keep your guard up constantly. But since the High Council cannot see Neferet for what she really is, the false High Priestess is still a major problem. The manipulative beauty has totally allied with the white bull (or Darkness). It is Darkness in its purest, most powerful form. The white bull has also given Neferet a gift, a creature she has named Aurox.

Aurox may look like a handsome young man, but he is Neferet's secret weapon. When the gorgeous teen fights, the bull within him begins to show. Neferet tells him never to think or feel for himself - to only do as she commands - but whenever Zoey is near, Aurox cannot help but feel. There is something strange, almost familiar, about the female fledgling.

Rephaim is a former Raven Mocker. Nyx has forgiven and blessed Rephaim. During the day he is a raven, but at night Rephaim is a boy. During school hours, Rephaim does his best to keep his distance from Dragon Lankford. At the same time, Rephaim must deal with his immortal father, Kalona, who claims to want a truce with his new group of friends. Neferet is a shared enemy and Kalona would be a powerful ally, but he still could not be trusted.

Neferet brings the rogue red fledglings and their leader, Dallas, back to the Tulsa House of Night. The bad blood between Dallas and Stevie Rae will cause a lot of trouble. In addition, Neferet has hired several humans to work on the campus. This will ensure that chaos will reign.

The Twins, Shaunee and Erin, are beginning to clash. All hope that it is nothing but a bump that happens with all BFFs from time-to-time. And Nyx sends Erik out to Track and Mark his first fledgling. But the new fledgling is unlike any before!

**** FOUR STARS! P.C. and Kristin Cast are bringing the HoN series back up to par. Professor Lenobia, the Horse Mistress, takes the spotlight a few times. (Lenobia's past is revealed in the HoN Novella "Lenobia's Vow".) Readers will see more of the feisty professor in the next installment.

In a shocking twist, one of the characters die and a new fledgling, with interesting powers, joins our group in the fight against Darkness. One other major event happens at the exciting end of this installment, but to even hint at what it is or who is involved would ruin the story. Just trust me, readers will see A LOT of changes this time around and the plot is finally moving forward again.

P.C. and Kristin Cast are back! And the future for this series looks better than ever. Stellar! ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 4 Nov. 2011
One thing you need to bear in mind that is that while the characters are having sex occasionally in the series, and they swear - they do talk like seven year olds sometimes. There's a lot of 'Oh Em Gee, really?!?!?!' type conversation. It can wear on the nerves quite steadily, as characters of this age do not speak like that.

However, that being said, this is one of the better books in the series. Cast's character definition, which was sorely lacking in the last few, comes into play in Destined. At least two characters mature, and we get insights into two of the favourites. The storyline works, and the change near the end of the books is suprising but believable. In the last few books, it felt like the storyline was being stretched far too thinly, and the plot was often meandering and dry - in this book though, it comes back to being fast paced withou being rushed. Much more like the P C Cast we know!

1.0 out of 5 stars A pity, if I'm honest., 5 Feb. 2012
House of Night books used to dominate on-the-bus conversations between my friend and me, another avid reader. Casts' first few books were exciting, captivating and felt close to reality. One particular hallmark was Zoey's conversational tone, and as a 15 year-old girl, I loved the books. However, even though more and more instalments were cluttering up Waterstones, our debates over each novel became gradually less and less prolonged. What used to be heated arguments over Heath and Eric, followed up shortly by squeals that the next novel was due out soon, eventually became more along the lines of "Did you read the new one? You know, that one with the vampires and stuff?" answered with "Ohhh. That on. Yeah, I did. Can't remember what it was about though." New topic of conversation. The sad, yet realistic fact is, what once was a fun storyline is ageing and fading and becoming, if I'm perfectly honest, ridiculous; over-shadowing its former brilliancy. I am not saying that all storylines should be brief. Sometimes, on occasion, an author such as JK Rowling makes it work. However, what Rowling has that Cast doesn't is structure. Seven Harry Potter books, seven years of secondary schooling. Yet with every new House of Night novel, it is becoming more and more apparent that Cast just wishes to drag the whole plot on for as long as possible, so as to make more money. As understandable as this is, I'm genuinely disappointed. I have always been meticulous about completing book series; if I buy one, I must by the others. Marked was so good that I bought the first six, yet in spite of this I've found myself actually waiting for a new release to come into libraries. I borrowed Destined from a friend, who, like me, vows to never buy another HoN novel after such a let-down. So, one could say its one redeeming feature was its ability to dampen my impatient bookish nature, but other than that, a real shame House of Night has reached such a tragic end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Picked back up, couldn't put down!, 24 Mar. 2014
I recently took a break from reading the house of night books, if I'm honest book 7 and 8 had began to bore me. When Zoey had her soul shattered and she spent 3/4 of the book in the otherworld I became lost and bored with the story. This was a shame because I zoomed through the first handful of books in a matter of weeks because I enjoyed them so much. I felt the story now however hadn't progressed to where it should have considering we were so far in the series. With nothing to read I picked back up book 9 and I couldn't stop! Finally I felt we were moving on and it reminded me why I loved the series in the first place. In this book we'll see Neferet working closely with the White Bull to create as much chaos at the HON as possible. We also meet Aurox a being created to destroy Neferet' enemies and we see him battle with his own demons. Although of course our `nerd herd' take centre stage of the book we'll see problems they face with each other and with the other red fledglings.

-I like the fact we get the story from other characters pov than just Zoey, I know she's the main character but she really grates on me (although she does have her good moments.) So I'm glad we get to see things from other characters perspective as I prefer to read from my favourite characters pov than just our protagonist Zoey.

-I loved the fact that the 'twins' had a little falling out and we began to see them as separate people, before this I often overlooked comments they made and I didn't really care for them as characters because I felt they were so undeveloped in the story. In this book you begin to see their differences and by the end of story I actually liked hearing what Shaunee in particular would say.

-I'm just really picking up what other reviewers have said here but one thing I cannot stand is the way the 'nerd herd' communicate with each other, particularly Zoey, sometimes I feel like I'm reading playground chat between 12 year olds! And every time I see 'Bullpoopie' 'Step-loser' or 'ah hell' I want to scream!!!! There is enough swearing from other characters in the book (sometimes too much) they even used the C word yet characters still say bullpoopie?? I don't think it's a realistic representation of conversations between older teens at all.

However if you can push past this playground chat the book itself was very good and I felt some of the lesser character got the recognition and development they deserved. Perhaps it's because I gave myself a good couple of months break from reading them that when I eventually did come back I felt refreshed with the story. Being someone that wants to finish the series I am quite looking forward to the purchasing the next book! :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Getting bored with the series now .., 10 Sept. 2012
Wow!! I have really struggled to get through this book. The things I found funny and endearing are now getting annoying and frustrating ..

Firstly is the language, I know they're just kids and a lot of profanity would not look good but do people actually say Bullpoopie?? that many times??
Then there are the made up words like Awesomesauce .. I mean really??
And the constant use of BFF and Z .. Urgh !!
And lastly the whole Twin thing .. Why would they constantly refer to each other as twin ?!?! .. Thank God that this issue is sorted out in the book, I was starting to just skip anything that had Twin in it.

Secondly I think there are too many POV now.
I quite enjoy reading various POV as its good to read how different characters react to different situations, but now I'm finding I have to go back a few pages to remember who's POV I am on. And I find Zoey, who has the most, is like a broken record. Yet the other more interesting characters are few and far between and yet they are the ones I am wanting to read

Thirdly the story/plot .. Where is it ??
I feel like there is a fantastic plot that could me made for these books but the story is too stuck on who Zoey is going to be sleeping with and when her next hissy fit is going to be, I know this series is based on Zoey but its the stuff going on in the background that I am fnding I want to read about, and not how many times Aphrodite changes her room decore or who's Gold Card is going to be used.

Hopefully the next book will be better with more plot structure and less whinging.

4.0 out of 5 stars BelleBooks, 6 Jan. 2012
Destined is the ninth book in the House of Night series, as much as I am still in love with this series and it's characters I do feel that the past couple of books have felt a bit dragged out to me. So I was hesitant about this book, but at the same time I was still super excited to get my hands on it and start reading it.

So if you don't know what the House of Night series is, here is a quick overview:
School full of teenage vampires who have magic abilities based on one of the five elements, the schools headmistress is pretty much evil and is after one young vampire in particular, Zoey. The story follows Zoey and her witchy circle of friends as they find themselves in some very tricky situations.

Destined once again follows on where we left off in the previous book, to be honest I don't remember it's name and I can't be bother getting up and looking at my bookshelf to find out. The story centres around Zoey Redbird and her ever growing group of friends, boyfriends, warriors, half boy half bird people etc, (You get the picture) As they return to the House of Night after Zoey's mum has just been killed by none other than the evil Neferet.

This time around I found the storyline very predictable, maybe after 9 books I'm just getting used to the writing style in this series and am getting good at guessing what is coming next. There was a few new characters introduced in this book as well. To be honest I think there was just too much going on in this book to keep up with it all.
There was too many different points of view going on, I got confused over all the different characters names and what they did. All the jumping around felt out of place for a House of Night book to me.
Maybe it's just been too long since I read the previous book but everything just felt too much to me.

Even with all that going on I did still really enjoy the plot and after about halfway through the book really did start to pick up again for me and turn into something that I've come to expect from the House of Night series.

Overall it was a good read and I'm glad I bought and finished the book. I will be carrying on with the series, but really feel like it needs to come to an end soon before it becomes even more dragged out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps gettting better, 12 Nov. 2011
I know this series is like Marmite - you either love it or hate it. I am one of the ones that love it! 'Marked' (book 1) was the first vampire book I ever read and got me into this genre. So I will always have a fondness for them.
Destined is book 9 and with each one I read I get pulled further into the world.
It has been a while since I read the last book and so it took me some time to get into this one as I had to try to remember what happened, but their are lines and clues put in to remind you of key events and soon I was fully there, right where I had last left them.
Things keep getting more exciting as you go and there are so many twists I didn't expect.
Stevie-Rae is still my favourite - she is so sweet and she has great one liners and random sayings that make me laugh.
Aphrodite is just as sassy and feisty and I love her insults. Neferet is getting darker and she makes my skin crawl but she's one of those villains you love to hate. I'm never quite sure what she will do next or how far she will go.
The plot is well thought out and the pace flows well, I read this quite quickly - this book has more character development in, you learn a lot more and see them grow both as a group and as individuals.
There is a new character called 'Aurox' who is supposed to be a servant of Neferet. There is supposed to be a great mystery of who and what he really is, and I liked a lot of his scenes and his affinity to Zoey, but the great revelation behind his origins wasn't much of a surprise to me, I figured it out almost straight away and was just waiting for Zoey to catch up with me. Maybe I'm just too clever (lol) or maybe it was supposed to be obvious. I don't know, but when Zoey did finally catch up I was like 'about time, what took you so long!'
Overall I really enjoyed the book and am intrigued to see what will happen next, the ending of this one was quite exciting, I felt tears welling up a bit and I also laughed. Hope it's not too long before the next one.
I will say although I don't have a problem with swearing in books if it fits in with the situation, but there are quite a lot of uses in this book and I don't believe they are all necessary, got a bit annoying. but that's the only real problem I had with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars AHHHHHHH!!!!!!, 5 Dec. 2011
Sophie Frost (UK) - See all my reviews
Well I freaked when this book arrived at my house and I didn't put it down once! Just to pre-warn I am probably biased as I am a serious House Of Night Fan! Very happy to see the return of Heath in the form of Aurox, loved the way P.C and Kristen managed to get Heaths traits across with still making Aurox his own person. I was happy to see at the end that someone other than usual gang seeing Nefrets bad side. I am also very happy to see what they have done with Kalona! The only bad thing I do have to say is, I felt this book was a bit of a fill in book. There was no huge shocker at the end that made me want the next one RIGHT NOW! Even though this was the case I did finish the book feeling content.

I also like the whole Lenobia side story and I can't wait for her novella to come out in January!

So in my opinion completely worth reading! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not great., 1 Feb. 2012
Judging the book on its own, there is some improvement when compared to the previous one. I really like it when we can see things from other characters' perspective and not only Zoey (UGH!) or Stevie Ray. Rephaim is my new favorite character and I like Shaunee a little more now. Can't seem to guess how the twin story will play out. The plot was more evolved than in "Awakened", but I too am annoyed by the way these vampyre / teenagers speak. I don't think normal people speak like that at all (Too many "Omg"s and "Gee"s and "Ah, hell"s - you get my drift).

The series, however, as a whole, is dragging. I have a feeling it's not about the readers anymore, but how the duo will earn as much money as possible. Of course I would be sad if there wasn't a sequel at some point, but it would be better than reading the 25th book of HoN and yawning...

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book- not the best, 30 Dec. 2011
I really used to love these books, at the beginning they were so fast paced and addictive that I could hardly put them down but for the last 2 books it has really felt like they've been trying to drag out the series as much as they can. I have to say though that this book is better then the 2 before it. I felt that the pace has stepped up slightly making it more enjoyable. I also liked how some of the characters really grow into themselves in this book and we learn more about them. (Spoiler ahead!!) However I am soooo not looking forward to another Heath/Stark drama which I thought was hinted at in this book and something that I feel is going to be in the next book as well.

Overrall I would say that this book is a OK read but not something you should really go for if you're looking for something action-packed.

Destined: Number 9 in series (House of Night)
Destined: Number 9 in series (House of Night) by P. C. Cast (Paperback - 2 May 2013)