4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious Romp...
This is not a 'celebrity' autobiography, a ghost-written TV tie-in, or a C-list Christmas stocking-filler luvvy fest. Rather it's a beautifully nuanced, elegantly written, and effortlessy moving memoir from an actor who really deserves to be more highly regarded in his profession - and our affections - than he currently is. That he can act AND write so beguilingly is...
Published on 17 Oct. 2012 by Boot-Boy

2.0 out of 5 stars Finally disappointing
All the blurbs hyped this book - well blurbs of course do.
But this book is disappointing. I was expecting much more about the celeb scene, Hollywood, etc. After all he's been there. There's a nice story about him escaping The Apprenticeship and calling Alan Sugar Sid James. But otherwise there's a lot of stuff about the Catholic Church and, of course, queens...
Published 11 months ago by GFK

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it and loved him!, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Vanished Years (Kindle Edition)
I wasn't sure if this would be my cup of tea, but instead found myself getting to know the author and his life and wanting to finish it. Most unlike me. Loved the honesty and the way images were conjured up so easily by the wonderful descriptions of everyone and everywhere. Let there be more.

5.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary book, 15 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Vanished Years (Kindle Edition)
I was attracted to this book entirely because of an interview with the author by Lynn Barber in which she said that no matter how in attractive some of the contents might be, Rupert Everett was a wonderful writer. After reading it myself I entirely agree.

Vanished Years is not a book for the faint-hearted reader but my God, it is marvellously written

5.0 out of 5 stars Vanished Years, 8 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Vanished Years (Kindle Edition)
this is a beautifully written memoir. Rupert Everett is on occasions deliciously indiscreet but loyal and generous to those people who are decent, honourable and talented. He is hard on himself and very honest and open about those times where he feels he fell short. Although Mr Everett has a light touch, this is a serious book with a fascinating and trenchant look at the world of international charity work and a powerful account of his work as an ambassador raising awareness for HIV/AIDS.

5.0 out of 5 stars The guy can really write!, 24 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Vanished Years (Kindle Edition)
Less catty gossip and all the better for it, Everett writes beautifully and has a wicked sense of humour. One sentence in the chapter describing a drinks reception with Kissinger made me howl with laughter, the sections on the production of Blithe Spirit made me feel I was there, and the passages surrounding his fathers death made me cry. What more do you want from a book?!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fearless memoirs, 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Vanished Years (Kindle Edition)
I don't know much about RE's acting, but he is a terrific writer. I read both his memoirs whilst on holiday and thought they were brilliant. I'm not sure we'd get on in real life, but for a few days he was a very close friend..

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark and depressing., 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Vanished Years (Paperback)
Have loved all of Rupert's work, but this book I found tedious, depressing and disappointing, I found my self constantly lifting and putting it down, whereas his previous books I read cover to cover. Still I look forward to his next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vanished Years, 31 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Vanished Years (Hardcover)
I Loved Everetts first memoir and this one does not disappoint. Not only does he have a wealth of interesting stories to tell, some poignant, most hilarious, but his style of writing is gorgeous. I love this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a brilliant writer, 4 Jun. 2013
rbj (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vanished Years (Paperback)
This is the second autobiography/memoir from Rupert Everett. I thought the first one "Red Carpets and Banana Skins" was both entertaining and beautifully written. "Vanished Years" is just as good. He writes so very well, it is a joy just to read the words. The added bonus is the subject matter with so many wonderful recollections involving so many interesting people. Do not confuse this with any other "celebrity" autobiography. This is quality writing from a gifted writer. I recommend both of these excellent works and I only hope he will write more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A reflective memoir, 7 Aug. 2013
traveller (stirling, scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Vanished Years (Paperback)
Having been a little bit disappointed in the first volume of memoirs, I was surprised to find the tone of this next volume was much more serious and quite sombre. While there are still the tales of mischevious/bad/weird behaviour, the underlying sense is one of the author's deeper reflectiveness and sadness, particularly in respect of his father's deterioration and death. I enjoyed - if that is the right word - this book much more than Red Carpets and other Banana Skins, as a much better sense of the private person behind the public persona comes through.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars, 22 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Vanished Years (Hardcover)
Well written. Witty. Couldn't put it down. The best book I've read this year. Can't wait for the next one and will be reading Red Carpets... next.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

Vanished Years
Vanished Years by Rupert Everett (Hardcover - 27 Sept. 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01