Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 July 2015
I bought this for my husband and he thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 21 December 2015
Loved it, a cricket fans delight.
on 27 February 2015
Very good book and worth reading
on 10 September 2010
There are some fascinating stories of the "imported" pros of Northern League cricket, notably Learie Constantine. The match reports tended to be rather repetitive and were padded out with descriptions of food and drink. The author had an annoying habit of switching from the past tense to the present- sometimes in the same sentence.
John Nelson
on 16 August 2010
As a person who has played cricket in the north (Bradford Cricket League) I found several of the Chapters very interesting and I could relate to many of the authors comments.

I had obtained the book as a birthday present for my son who is a keen cricket historian but found it pleasant reading for myself.
on 31 January 2013
Harry Pearson first came to my attention when Penguins Stopped Play was passed to me to read. This is a great story of an unlikely world cricket tour that can be enjoyed by both cricket fans and people with zero knowledge of the sport.

Slipless in Settle is more for the hard-core cricket enthusiast and is jammed full of the history of the sport in the North of England. Harry describes the colouful characters who played in the early leagues and adds his own anecdotes with their inevitable giggle-moments.

It is a beautifully written wander through the mining and mill towns of Lancashire and Yorkshire viewed from the patches of green where some of the finest cricketers in the world delghted the locals with their skills and antics.

Recommended for cricket fans as it is packed with stats and history of the game, but non-enthusiasts might find some parts hard going.
on 2 November 2010
I grew up with cricket (Northern League and Bolton Association) and it was great to read about local places and clubs but also a good insight into cricket history. BUT - yes a really BIG BUT - the change in tense in sentences is absolutely maddening and seriously detracted from my enjoyment of the book. Mr Pearson - please tell us why!
on 3 October 2014
Nice gift
on 9 January 2012
This book has described life in the north of England to a tee. I'm not a great cricket follower but parts if this definitely reminds me of a few clubs I have visited
on 27 May 2014
Really entertaining read accurate tales from the league's of the north, just missing the entertainment of the stack plenty to go at their!