5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book
I'm new to Kelley Armstrong. I bought Bitten back in 2001 but never got around to reading it. Recently I decided to give the series a chance and I will soon be posting a lengthy review on the Bitten page (including a suggested reading order for readers new to the series; as I disagree with the chronological reading order on Ms. Armstrong's site....sorry Kelley!)...
Published on 21 Nov. 2012 by Pantheon

3.0 out of 5 stars Borrow rather than buy.
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 3 in the `women of the otherworld' series. Apologies; I still haven't read book 2 so I'm not sure of the timeline between the two books.
Paige is a witch. In fact, since her mother's death, she is cover leader, not that the other members of the coven allow her to act as such.

Paige currently has...
Published on 28 May 2012 by Sarah

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 21 Nov. 2012
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

The only reason I felt a need to write this review is because of the change from Elena/Clay to Paige/Savannah/Lucas. I personally loved this shift in style and story. Kelley Armstrong has said herself that she never wanted to write book after book about the werewolves because it would get boring for her to write. Well, I tend to agree from a reader's perspective too. I have found with other series' out there that they tend to get a bit repetitive as they go on.
Paige has quite a prominent role to play in Stolen; and I really liked her, so I went into Dime Store Magic with a positive feeling towards the characters. The book really didn't disappoint. The story was exciting; but grounded and had a great payoff at the end.
I've just started Industrial Magic and I'm really pleased to be staying with the same characters for another book.

Recently, Kelley Armstrong, has leapt into my top ten urban fantasy writers and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series and her other books too!

If you like these books I would also recommended Jennifer Lynn Barnes' Raised by Wolves series, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books (primarily the earlier ones), Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books, Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires series and Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy if you like a bit of change, 10 Jun. 2004
After reading Bitten and Stolen I was slightly dubious as to what this third book had to offer. It is certainly different from Kelley's first two books, mostly due to her shift from Elena to Paige and I'm not entirely sure the shift is a good one.
If you're looking for a punchy modern leading lady, like Elena, then Paige isn't going to satisfy you. I must admit that I wanted a bit of kick from the book, something to get my blood flowing, some passion and some depth, but I don't feel this book delivers any of those to any great depth. And that's what this book is lacking - depth. It's nice, it's a good read and it flows very easily (I read it within two evenings and couldn't put it down) BUT there isn't the depth of character that should leave you really caring what happens to Paige, Savannah and Cortez.
And a bit of advice, if you haven't read the first two then I'd suggest you read them first, as when there is a touch of depth in this book, it comes from the writer explaining previous events.
Don't get me wrong, like I said, it's a good read and you'll come away satisfied, I gave it four stars for this very reason, but there's just something... not quite right.
Bring back Elena.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be enchanted...by a truly mesmerizing, magical story!, 15 Mar. 2013
From author of `Bitten' and `Stolen' is another spellbinding tale that embodies all one truly loves with Young Adult fantasy/ paranormal fiction. Full of deadly demons, supernatural sorcerers and wicked Witches this captivating tale is one that will have you reading into the early hours of the morning with feverish excitement. `Dime Store Magic' is the forth book in the series of Otherworld books, which began with Bitten and ends with Broken. The enchanting storyline captures your attention almost instantly, whisking you away into a world that is no different from our own, and yet which harbors many things - Beneath the surface lies sinister secrets and mystery, shrouded in a cloak of concealment and which only can be discovered if you dare to open the pages...

The main protagonist is likeable and someone whom I instantly connected to, for her age is nearer my own (compared to other Young Adult stories that contain teenagers). I loved the Witch element which gave it an almost `Sabrina' feel to it, although directed towards the older reader I feel. Paige and her adopted teenage daughter, Savannah's connection is poignant and heartwarming and I really felt for the young child as she sought help in pursuit of her mother. That family blood-bond is so strong and something that all readers will be able to empathize with, for regardless of any magical power the power of love is strongest and resolute. With a telekinetic half-demon stalking them and a bunch of evil sorcerers, Paige has a challenge ahead of her that is heightened by her fragile situation. As `normal humans' (aka. Her neighbors) uncover the truth about her; the tension rises as they endeavor to use magic for good.

This otherworldly creation is a work of pure genius for I found myself truly believing everything about this convincing story that is akin to `Harry Potter' for you do believe in the magic. Containing everything I love within this genre; from Witches to casting spells, powerful creatures that are dark and deadly, to love and those special moments which tug on the heartstrings. Utterly fascinating, I was most intrigued by the sinister forces and mixture of myth, fable and fantastical vision that captures your imagination.

I would highly recommend this gripping, absorbing tale to all those who enjoy mystical masterpieces of sheer creative vision and something a bit "Twilight esque"!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Borrow rather than buy., 28 May 2012
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)

Paige currently has custody of a 13-year-old neophyte witch Savanna, following her mother's disappearance/death. The delivery of a letter petitioning for custody of Savanna is not welcomed, especially not when it comes from the half-demon, Leah, who killed Paige's mother.

Attending the meeting with Leah and her lawyer, Paige is shocked when she hears that it's not really Leah petitioning for custody, but Kristof Nast - a powerful sorcerer who is claiming to be Savanna's father.

Trying to be clever, Paige retaliates by hiring a human lawyer - the human courts will not allow a custody battle of this type without DNA evidence of paternity, something that Kristof cannot do because of this sorcerer DNA.

Paige hasn't won the battle yet though, and now Leah is playing dirty. A fake black mass is set up in the woods behind Paige's house, and the police are called in. Suddenly Paige is being accused of murder, and there are wiccans, reporters, and do-gooders camping out on her lawn. Her only saviour is a sorcerer who wants to stick his nose in her private business, and much to her disgust, her own coven are trying to disown her. Between Leah, Nast, the media, and her own coven, Paige has really got her hands full, and with Savanna's power growing and her full powers blooming, has Paige really got what it takes to protect her from not only her father, but herself?

I never really know what to expect from Kelley Armstrong's books; they're always good, but the storyline doesn't always go in the direction I expect! I haven't read book 2 so this is the first time I have come across Paige, and to be honest she was a bit annoying and scatter brained in the beginning. She really wasn't anything like what I would expect a coven leader to be like, and seemed quite immature, which was exactly why the rest of her coven weren't impressed either!

I found Savanna to be in some respects a typical teen, and she really didn't seem to understand that her magical powers were more than `dime store magic'. Again and again she began conjuring things without a thought to the effect her actions may have, placing Paige in the firing line more than once. She was also strong-headed, and used to getting her own way it seems, although in that respect she acted a lot like Paige.

I have to say that the story was quite slow and dull to begin with, as it mainly focused on the custody petition, lawyers meetings, and other almost mundane stuff, and it wasn't until over half-way through that the supernatural stuff really came into it. This was probably the biggest failing of the book for me. The series is `women of the otherworld, and up until mid-way, the fact that Paige and Savanna were witches had made very little difference to the story.

The ending however was a different story, and was much more focused on the supernatural than the court case. There were some very creepy images that were quite chilling, and a natural end to the story which was probably the best part of the book.
Overall; worth reading as part of the series, but one to borrow rather than buy.
6.5 out of 10.

5.0 out of 5 stars The otherworld gets magical, 15 May 2011
C. Manning (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Paige Winterbourne is not only a witch, but the new leader of the American Coven. At twenty-three she hadn't expected to take over the role for years to come, nor had she expected to end up adopting a young witch named Savannah. Both Savannah and Paige's mothers died about a year previously, and they're slowly learning to be family. But when Savannah's father appears and demands custody, along with the half-demon responsible for the deaths, they find themselves thrown into a world of backstabbing warring magical groups.

This is the third book in the awesome Otherworld series (after Bitten and Stolen) and sees the role of the narrator taken over by Paige. Paige is totally different to Elena. Where Elena is definitely an kick-butt heroine, Paige is quieter and less experienced. The references to Paige's youth bugged me a little in the previous book, but thankfully they are less annoying here and focus more on the ten-year age gap between Paige and Savannah.

One of the things I love about this series is the depth of character and plot. While Paige and Savannah don't get quite as much backstory as they both featured in the previous installment, the other characters are really well developed. Lucas is brilliantly written with his internal Cabal issues dealt with realistically. The introduction of Cabals (sorcerer-run mob-type companies) develops the world further and adds a Godfather-esque aspect to the storyline.

As usual, the plot was fast moving and well thought-out, but unlike the previous books this is less action-focused. While there is still some action this is an understandable change of pace, given that neither Paige nor Lucas are really brawlers. Some of the plot twists were easy to spot, but others were really unexpected and the book builds to a shocking finale.

I liked how magic was portrayed and the differences between the more mental sorcerors and more emotional witches. This also introduced the concept of good-versus-bad magic, with a complexity that relates to the individual spellcaster as opposed to witches = good, sorcerers = bad. Without info-dumping there is a lot of exploration of magic here.

I loved the romance between Paige and Lucas as it gradually develops from mistrust to friendship to something more. It is beautifully written and the mix of magic and romance creates an unputdownable read.

All in all this was a great read and I'm looking forward to Industrial Magic.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 10/10

Overall: 48/50

3.0 out of 5 stars Third book in the series, 22 Jan. 2011
I was a bit hesitant to read this third book as it marks a major shift in gear from Elena, Clay, Jeremy and the werewolves to Paige, Savannah and the witches.
I think I was right to be worried. I didn't warm very much towards Paige in the second book Stolen and although this book did manage to improve on that somewhat, there is still a way to go before I will be rooting for her in the way I did for Elena.
Paige is strangely unsympathetic towards Savannah, a girl that she is apparently fighting to keep custody of against half-demons and sorceror cabals. This is a child who was kidnapped and then whose mother was murdered, leaving her alone in the world with dark and mysterious powers. Perhaps a little compassion was warranted?
Savannah is, in many ways, a much more interesting character than Paige. She's unpredictable, feisty, independent and possibly in possession of some pretty dark magic skills. Similarly, Cortez, Paige's custody lawyer holds plenty of interest as a character. He at least makes up for the fact that Adam, another interesting character from book 2, barely features in this one.
The main problem with this installment is that the story really doesn't get going until about half-way. After that, it does improve and I did read quite quickly to the end. It felt as though this was a transitional story; that it was necessary to get a few bits and pieces of plot moving along so that the next book can pick up the pace. There is also the problem of having fallen in love with characters in the first two books and then have them disappear. I did find that I missed Clay, Elena and Jeremy and the whole fascinating world of the pack. In the book's favour, there is a good mix of drama, action and a touch of romance.

I would say, yes, read this, but be prepared to miss the old characters terribly. Also, prepare to be patient about the fact that you will need to really stick with it for a while before the plot gets going. Hopefully the next book Industrial Magic will move the story along a little better.

NB/ The Kindle edition is well-formatted and error free. Download away!

5.0 out of 5 stars ADDICTIVE READING, 3 April 2012
I chanced upon this author's works and decided to give them a try and I am delighted that I did so. As a teacher in a secondary school, I find that reading works of fiction is my only true release and means of relaxation. I like to leave this real world behind for a time. Subsequently, I intend to buy all of the books in this series of books, as they make for an addictive read and allow me to completely switch off from my working life. Each story can stand alone, but Kelley Armstrong weaves her related characters beautifully throughout each story. One is reminded of the relationships as you proceed through each story and you really believe in each and every one of her supernatural characters. This is the third book in the series and, like books one and two, is fast paced, imaginative, magical and a lovely read. Anybody who likes/loves the supernatural or fantasy novel would be well advised to read these books. They are not quite teenage literature, as they cover a number of adult themes, but they are a gentle read - the perfect book to switch off with.

This particular story line tells of an age old conflict between witches and sorcerers, with a half-demon thrown in here and there, and how some individuals come together to right wrong doings, despite their so called differences.

5.0 out of 5 stars "It was a sad world when a witch had to rely on... ", 20 Sept. 2005
B. Alcat (Hanoi, Vietnam) - See all my reviews
"Dime store magic" is the third book in Kelley Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series. These books have a lot of action, magic and yes, some romance. But more importantly, they are thoroughly engaging, so be prepared to be immersed in a world that differs quite a bit from our own.
The narrator of "Dime store magic" is Paige Winterbourne, a 23-year-old witch who suddenly finds herself as guardian of Savannah Levine, the irritable 13-year-old daughter of Eve, the black sheep of Paige's family. Unfortunately, Savannah isn't just an annoyed teenager angry with everything and everyone: she is also a witch with growing powers and a noticeable tendency towards dark magic, like her mother. On top of everything, Paige also becomes the leader of her Coven (due to the death of her mother, narrated in "Stolen"). It is worthwhile to point out that the position is mostly nominal, though, as Paige doesn't get a lot of respect from the other witches.
Life isn't obviously too easy for Paige, but neither is it overly problematic. That changes, though, when Savannah's previously unknown father, a powerful wizard, decides to fight for custody in order to gain control of his daughter's power. Paige won't give in without a fight, as wizards are traditional enemies of witches. The result is that she will have to put her life and reputation on the line, and will need to accept help from whomever can give it. That includes Lucas Cortez, a lawyer but also a wizard that has rebelled against his heritage and goes from quest to quest striving to make justice. In Paige's words, "It was a sad world when a witch had to rely on a work-starved sorcerer for help". The fact is, soon enough she will view Lucas in a different way...
All in all, I highly recommend this book. In my opinion, it is an excellent addition to the series, and will make you want to read the sequel immediately. For that, you will have to buy or borrow "Industrial magic"... But in the meanwhile, enjoy "Dime store magic" :)
Belen Alcat

5.0 out of 5 stars Missed Elena as narrator but still great, 19 Jun. 2013
The third book in the otherworld series and as always a great read from Kelley Armstrong.

It has been a while since they freed everyone from the compound and Savannah, a powerful teenage witch, is the ward of 23 year old Paige, the new coven leader. Narrated by Paige, as she struggles to empathise with Savannah and her macabre tendencies, she is suddenly forced into a custody battle for Savannah, who one day will become an incredibly powerful supernatural. The person wanting custody is her supposed father Kristof Nast, a sorcerer who helps run a mafia style supernatural company. Seeing how witches and sorcerers detest each other, Paige is convinced it is a ploy to gain Savannah as a powerful asset because what witch would ever sleep with a sorcerer? A modern, media driven witch hunt begins and Paige is forced to make decisions that go against everything she has been raised for. With the, at first unwanted, help of a young sorcerer, who has his own reasons for involving himself in the case, Paige is determined to fight to keep Savannah safe, even if it means losing everything she has ever worked for.

4.0 out of 5 stars Weaker but not bad..., 18 May 2012
Tali (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
Ok so the first two books in the series hooked me, but i did feel a little dubious as to buying this as it no longer focuses on Elena and the werewolves, but on the witch Paige and her charge Savannah. Now I must admit i did not like Paige at all in the previous books, she came across as short-sighted, spoiled and naive. That said, she does have a bit more maturity in this book, or perhaps things just look and feel different from her own perspective. Either way, I found myself slowly growing to like her... just a little.

For the most part this isn't a high action book, the action is subdued and spaced out and most of the book is extremely domestic. What really made this fun for me was Savannah and Lucas. Savannah is your bubbly, moody, devil-may-care teen and never lets Paige forget it. Lucas is interesting in that he's extremely formal, at first anyway, and he's reserved, a total opposite to Paige really.

Not a bad addition but not sure i'll read it again. I will buy the next in the series though as I see potential and the witchraft details are interesting

Dime Store Magic
Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong (Mass Market Paperback - 25 Sept. 2012)