4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy if you like a bit of change
After reading Bitten and Stolen I was slightly dubious as to what this third book had to offer. It is certainly different from Kelley's first two books, mostly due to her shift from Elena to Paige and I'm not entirely sure the shift is a good one.
Published on 10 Jun 2004 by Pip

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the 1st two.
Bitten remains my 3rd favourite book of all time and i tried really hard to get into this but i didnt like Paige as a character and the whole book i was just waiting for clay and elena to show up.
Published 14 months ago by Beanie Luck Spud

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy if you like a bit of change, 10 Jun 2004
If you're looking for a punchy modern leading lady, like Elena, then Paige isn't going to satisfy you. I must admit that I wanted a bit of kick from the book, something to get my blood flowing, some passion and some depth, but I don't feel this book delivers any of those to any great depth. And that's what this book is lacking - depth. It's nice, it's a good read and it flows very easily (I read it within two evenings and couldn't put it down) BUT there isn't the depth of character that should leave you really caring what happens to Paige, Savannah and Cortez.
And a bit of advice, if you haven't read the first two then I'd suggest you read them first, as when there is a touch of depth in this book, it comes from the writer explaining previous events.
Don't get me wrong, like I said, it's a good read and you'll come away satisfied, I gave it four stars for this very reason, but there's just something... not quite right.
Bring back Elena.

5.0 out of 5 stars very happy, 12 Nov 2013
bought this as a replacement for one i had lent to someone and never got back.love kelley armstrong`s books and am very happy now that my library is complete once more

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the 1st two., 18 May 2013
Beanie Luck Spud (Cotswolds) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 21 Nov 2012
Pantheon (Boston, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I'm new to Kelley Armstrong. I bought Bitten back in 2001 but never got around to reading it. Recently I decided to give the series a chance and I will soon be posting a lengthy review on the Bitten page (including a suggested reading order for readers new to the series; as I disagree with the chronological reading order on Ms. Armstrong's site....sorry Kelley!).

The only reason I felt a need to write this review is because of the change from Elena/Clay to Paige/Savannah/Lucas. I personally loved this shift in style and story. Kelley Armstrong has said herself that she never wanted to write book after book about the werewolves because it would get boring for her to write. Well, I tend to agree from a reader's perspective too. I have found with other series' out there that they tend to get a bit repetitive as they go on.
Paige has quite a prominent role to play in Stolen; and I really liked her, so I went into Dime Store Magic with a positive feeling towards the characters. The book really didn't disappoint. The story was exciting; but grounded and had a great payoff at the end.
I've just started Industrial Magic and I'm really pleased to be staying with the same characters for another book.

Recently, Kelley Armstrong, has leapt into my top ten urban fantasy writers and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series and her other books too!

If you like these books I would also recommended Jennifer Lynn Barnes' Raised by Wolves series, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books (primarily the earlier ones), Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books, Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires series and Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian series.

5.0 out of 5 stars "It was a sad world when a witch had to rely on... ", 20 Sep 2005
"Dime store magic" is the third book in Kelley Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series. These books have a lot of action, magic and yes, some romance. But more importantly, they are thoroughly engaging, so be prepared to be immersed in a world that differs quite a bit from our own.
The narrator of "Dime store magic" is Paige Winterbourne, a 23-year-old witch who suddenly finds herself as guardian of Savannah Levine, the irritable 13-year-old daughter of Eve, the black sheep of Paige's family. Unfortunately, Savannah isn't just an annoyed teenager angry with everything and everyone: she is also a witch with growing powers and a noticeable tendency towards dark magic, like her mother. On top of everything, Paige also becomes the leader of her Coven (due to the death of her mother, narrated in "Stolen"). It is worthwhile to point out that the position is mostly nominal, though, as Paige doesn't get a lot of respect from the other witches.
Life isn't obviously too easy for Paige, but neither is it overly problematic. That changes, though, when Savannah's previously unknown father, a powerful wizard, decides to fight for custody in order to gain control of his daughter's power. Paige won't give in without a fight, as wizards are traditional enemies of witches. The result is that she will have to put her life and reputation on the line, and will need to accept help from whomever can give it. That includes Lucas Cortez, a lawyer but also a wizard that has rebelled against his heritage and goes from quest to quest striving to make justice. In Paige's words, "It was a sad world when a witch had to rely on a work-starved sorcerer for help". The fact is, soon enough she will view Lucas in a different way...
All in all, I highly recommend this book. In my opinion, it is an excellent addition to the series, and will make you want to read the sequel immediately. For that, you will have to buy or borrow "Industrial magic"... But in the meanwhile, enjoy "Dime store magic" :)
Belen Alcat

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book!, 14 Dec 2010
It was so hard to read this book without comparing the characters to Elena and Clay from the first two books in the Women of the Otherworld series. I felt that Paige wasn't as strong of a character and was a pushover in comparison.

I'm still going to try to rate it without relating Dime Store Magic to Bitten or Stolen but it's so HARD!

I loved reading about the history of the witches in Dime Store Magic; especially when it came to the sorcerers getting involved.

I also loved how the romance in this story didn't dominate the plot. It was a great change to be honest because otherwise, I feel like the story-line would have become too messy and all over the place if that makes sense.

What's great is that if a reader started the Women of the Otherworld series from Dime Store Magic they wouldn't be lost at all, simply because it seems like it could be a separate series competely.

I loved Savannah's character. She was so sassy and naive that Paige had to run around after her like a headless chicken half the time!

I also liked Lucas's character. He was so calm and composed throughout which was great for a little change. You could also see how he would be great for Paige as they're kind of opposites in a way but complement each other.

However, I did find Paige to be a bit irritating; she just did some stupid things at times that didn't have to happen.

The world that Dime Store Magic is set in is flawless. The idea of the rivalry between sorcerers and witches, covens and Lucas's family story were all brilliant.

Above all though, Dime Store Magic was a really fast-paced and exciting all the way through. I couldn't put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dime Store Magic, 4 April 2005
Clare "Bookaholic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In this third novel from the Women of the Otherworld Series we hear the story of Paige Winterbourne who we first saw in Stolen.
This is a different side to Paige we see here as I did find her mildly irritating in Stolen! Paige is an orphan and finds herself as leader of the American Coven of Witches. Unfortunately for Paige she is nowhere near as experienced as her predecessor, her mother, or even as some of the other members of the coven.Some of them feel that Paige is not the right person to be their leader.
Nine months before this book began Paiges mother was murdered along with another witch who is the mother of Savannah Levine, who became left in Paige's care to look after her. Savannah is far experienced for her age for the powers she possesses therefore Paige has to try and make sure Savannah uses her powers responsibly! The story goes on in revealing Savannah's father as Kristof Nash who is heir to the Nash Cabal and he naturally wants custody of Savannah but, just for his own evil purposes.
This was the very 1st book of Kelley's books I bought without realising that there were 2 before it but, did read them in order. Again I have heard it said this one can be read as a stand-alone but, I do feel you would benefit from reading the previous books especially Stolen in relation to this one as you may not fully understand why or how Savannah & Paige's mothers died.
This is brilliant and much different from the werewolves of the previous books and Paige is so much more likeable in this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kelley Armstrong just keeps getting better!, 24 Feb 2004
kathryn Redfearn (Sunderland, Tyne & Wear United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
After being introduced to Kelley Armstrong by my bestfriend Caroline Smith I was in complete agreement with her that Kelley Armstrong is one of the best authors around!
Dime Store magic is FANTASTIC, I was concerned that without Elena Michaels as the lead I would not enjoy this book as much as Stolen or bitten, I am pleased to say however that Paige Winterbourne can hold her own.
I cant wait for Industrial Magic to be released pre-order your copy now!!!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars fun and good read, 25 April 2014
This is a fun and exciting follow up to the previous books in this saga. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars another great read, 10 Mar 2014
Again I really enjoyed the book, expected them to slow down a bit but no as good as all the rest, love how all the characters are in each book, and the story line keeps you going, definitely 5 stars for Kelley Armstrong and will keep reading.

Dime Store Magic
Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong (Paperback - 25 Sep 2012)
5.82