Published on 20 Mar. 2013 by S. Richards

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring!!
Published 14 months ago by Joyce

4.0 out of 5 stars The beautiful but scarred Genevieve, a heroine who feels imperfect, ashamed and unworthy, 20 Mar. 2013
S. Richards - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
If you haven't read book 1 yet, I think you should start there. Don't miss that story, it was a five-star romance for me, and this story picks up where that one leaves off. I'm not a stickler on reading a series in order, but I think you need to read book 1 and get to know these two families, who all the brothers are, and get the idea of what sets the stage for this current story, which is a good, solid second entry in the series. It carries on that same feeling of true romance, longing and affection between h/H and continues with the same idea of the imperfect but resilient heroine.

I love to read imperfect/scarred characters like Genevieve. She's scarred physically and emotionally; she's been held captive for the past year, treated no better than a dog, abused and raped, called wh0re, and disfigured with a facial scar from temple to mouth. Her face has been ruined, but her spirit has not. And this is what I liked about Genevieve: she is a survivor. You don't know how I longed for her to have a champion, and she finally gets that in Bowen. If ever a woman needed a protector, a man to fight for her, it is Genevieve. She's been fighting all on her own, but what woman doesn't need a man who can stand up and say that enough is enough? Bowen wants Genevieve no matter her past, no matter what she's been called, or what she'd been forced to do.

His interaction with Genevieve is tender and sweet, very romantic, and the love scenes were gentle and caring. Not hard, but soft and slow. At about the halfway mark is when I really started feeling that connection and the romance between h/H. I think I would have liked that feeling earlier on, but I think Bowen's mistrust made sense in the very beginning. Not that I liked it, as I was always completely on Genevieve's side and got a little frustrated that some characters weren't seeing just how much she had truly suffered. I love a heroine who can make me outraged and angry enough to cry over her mistreatment, and I needed Bowen to defend her, and he does do that. When he fell, he fell hard and was willing to give up his happiness in order to make hers complete.

It's Genevieve who steals the show for me. Her character is a scene-stealer, her story a heart-breaker, and, for me, she even outshines Bowen. While he comes through in true-knight style, especially in those last few chapters, which were all about sacrifice and love, it's Genevieve who made me care and who made me cry. Just a really sweet and perfectly imperfect heroine. I love a damaged heroine who feels unworthy but ends up with the man who sees everything good and worthy and special about her. A great heroine and a very good read, very romantic with the abused but strong heroine finding her HEA.

Book 1 Never Seduce a Scot: The Montgomerys and Armstrongs
Book 2 Highlander Most Wanted
Book 3 Highland Ever After: The Montgomerys and Armstrongs

4.0 out of 5 stars Montgomerys and Armstrongs book 2, 6 April 2013
Kate Phillips "Kate" (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highlander Most Wanted (Montgomerys and Armstrongs) (Mass Market Paperback)
I am a big fan of this series and I thought the first book (Never Seduce a Scot) was excellent, so I was really excited to get my hands on a copy of Highlander Most Wanted. Maya Banks is one of the best Highland romance writers I have ever come across so I was pretty sure I was going to love this and I was not disappointed.

Somehow Banks is able to write a story that is easy to get lost in. Within pages I was fully entrenched in her world and connected to the characters which I think shows that the quality of her writing is high.

If I am honest Highlander Most Wanted does nothing new and there were a few times where I felt this was maybe a little too alike the first book in the series but where this book really excels is its characters.

Genevieve is the best book heroine I have read in a while; she has been through so many unthinkable things and somehow manages to stay strong. I have no idea how she survived the horrors of her life but somehow she did and she refuses to give up her pride. I hated that things didn't get easy for her straight away, hated that the other people around her judged her so harshly for things that were not her fault. She has so much courage and strength and it was hard not to like her.

Bowen was also amazing; he was everything I like in my highland warriors, strong, fierce, loving, protective. I can understand why everyone swooned over her. I loved his relationship with Genevieve, loved that he followed his heart instead of other people's fears.

Highlander Most Wanted was not very surprising and it was not perfect but I really enjoyed it and couldn't put it down. I still love this series, I still love this writer and I cannot wait for the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING AND FABULOUS HISTORICAL ROMANCE, THAT I HAVE BEEN ANTICIPATING FOR AGES!, 6 April 2013
Highlander Most Wanted is my second ever historical romance by Maya Banks. I have read some of her other genre too, and i really enjoyed them. She is such an amazing author!

***
"I am not worth such a vehemence," She said, refusing to meet his gaze. He captured her chin and forced her look at him. His eyes were angry, and his lips were drawn into a tight line.
"You're worth it to me."
***

It starts were we left of in book one, after Eveline has been rescued from Ian, the guy that imprisoned and abused her. But this time the story follows Genevieve, who has been imprisoned by Ian in the McGugh Keep as well, long before Eveline. When Bowen storms the gates on a mission of clan warfare, Genevieve finally finds a spark of hope for freedom. But even then, her path is uncertain. However, she can't stand being a prisoner any longer and decides to take off. That is until Bowen stirs something inside her that longs to be awaken. He touches a part of her that she long thought was lost. Bowen is captivated by her beauty and strength, her determination, and soon finds himself in love with her.

But what will happen when Genevieve tells him a secret that might turn the whole Montgomery's clan against her? Will he stand beside her, or will he turn his back on her, like everyone else? Will he give back her freedom, even if it means loosing her forever?

What i thought of Genevieve?:
I found Genevieve a very likable character, and i was connected to her from page one. Even after all she has been through her spirit is not broken, and she doesn't just give up, she fights. Every time i read about what has happened to her, and about her feelings, i go through what she is going through. It's just so sad, i had tears in my eyes practically the entire time i was reading.

What i thought of Bowen?:
Bowen was a very caring and loving character. The whole time i was preying for someone to defend and stand up for Genevieve, and there he goes, all knight in armor trying to rescue the princess. It was hard not to fall in love with him. And even though i did, i still loved Genevieve more. For me, she outshines Bowen, just a little.

If you have not read book one yet (Never Seduce a Scot), then i highly advance you to do so before reading this one. And no, you do not have to, but it's so worth it, because they are both amazing!

***
"If i should never be with a man again, i would want you to be the last," She whispered. "Show me Bowen. Show me what it's like."
***

And it's kind of shameful to admit, but i started crying a tiny bit on page 30. I just wanted to get inside the book, and hug Genevieve so tight she wouldn't be able to breathe.

Overall, Highlander Most wanted was a very well written and emotional book. It had a great heroine and it was a very good read, very romantic with the abused but strong heroine finding her one man. I definitely recommend this to readers who love HR and also to romance lovers in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly Heart-Wrenching, 30 Mar. 2013
C. Halford "Rookie Romance" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This book reduced me to a sobbing mess. I started this book, intending to read for an hour or so before I went to sleep. That was a mistake. I didn't sleep for a while, I couldn't! I absolutely had to keep on reading. I also cried pretty much continuously, anyone with a beating heart would cry at Genevieve's tragic story.

Genevieve was kidnapped by the vile Ian McHugh, when he slaughtered everyone she travelled with to see her betrothed. He took heR back to his keep, and kept her captive for a year, subjecting her to horrifying and degrading abuse. He even scars her face in an effort to make no other man want her. My heart broke reading about what Genevieve endured, and more details emerge throughout the story.
I love how strong Genevieve is, she's a survivor. She struggles to hold her head high and retain her dignity against the cruelty of the McHugh clan. She has walls around her, to try and protect herself as much as possible, but there are cracks that are widening as she struggles to find an elusive peace.

Bowen arrives at the McHugh keep, prepared to battle the McHugh laird- only to find he has fled and left behind primarily women and children. Genevieve steps forward to defend the clan, despite their hostility towards her. Bowen doesn't know what to make of Genevieve, and although he finds himself drawn to her, he doesn't trust her initially. Especially considering the rumours that she is the one responsible for his sister-in-law's abduction.
As he gets to know Genevieve, he realises what an amazing woman she is, and how much she has suffered at the hands of others. He falls in love with her, despite risking his brother's displeasure. Bowen becomes Genevieve's champion, the one she desperately needs. He is the perfect saviour for her, he's kind, protective and patient, determined to woo her and show her how beautiful life can be again.

I loved many of the secondary characters as well. Taliesan is the only friend Genevieve has in the McHughs, she's incredibly sweet, and I can't wait to read her story with Brodie Armstrong in Highland Ever After.

This is an amazing book that I can't recommend highly enough. Genevieve and Bowen have a scorching chemistry, that develops into a tender and sweet love. Bowen helps Genevieve recover herself, and puts her happiness before everything else. I loved this story, and I can't wait to read the other books in the series because this was just heart-wrenching in the best of ways!

I received a copy from Ballantine Books via NetGalley for an honest review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highlander most wanted, 18 April 2013
I liked the highlander most wanted but have a hackie it's a bit of a weepy so get this book

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it., 8 May 2013
What's to be said about this Highlander series. Maya Banks has done it again. This book is a keeper I could not put it down. like the rest of the Highland books its a powerful love story that will stay with you for a very long time. loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars highlander most wanted, 4 May 2014
Loved, loved, LOVED this series! I cannot wait for the next one to come out! Fabulous story, the highlands and romance...what is not to like?

5.0 out of 5 stars WoW!!!!, 23 Mar. 2014
I Found ALL the Highlander reads enthralling and they kept me on the edge of my seat. PLEASE USE THIS INFORMATION FOR ALL HIGHLANDER reads.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 29 Jan. 2014
This book was one of the beat that I have read in a while. It made me laugh and cry throughout.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring!!, 22 Jan. 2014
I've read other books by this author but this almost seemed like it wasn't by the same author. There was no thrill, no clear storyline and no point to the book really. The heroine's suffering was a bit too much for me and the hero isn't my usual kind of heroes. I forced myself to read about 30% and then flicked through to the end. I'll be returning it for a refund as I found it utterly boring and pointless. Apologies to the author. I would recommend her Highlander series but not this one I'm afraid!!

Highlander Most Wanted (Montgomerys and Armstrongs)
Highlander Most Wanted (Montgomerys and Armstrongs) by Maya Banks (Mass Market Paperback - 18 July 2013)