4.0 out of 5 stars Almost, almost, maybe
Having just finished this book I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I have been a fan of Lauren Graham since seeing her in the Gilmore Girls and had mixed emotions towards reading a book written by the actress- would it live up to my expectations?

Published 19 months ago by Sophie

I would rate this book 3.5 stars if I had the option of half stars.

Published 18 months ago by Chrissi Read

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost, almost, maybe, 12 May 2013

The story focuses on the main character Frances or Franny and her journey towards making it as an actress in New York. I found Franny to be a believable and likeable character. At times I felt too much time was spent on her romantic relationships which seemed to fizzle out too quickly. Her reaction to revelations regarding her college boyfriend as well as awkward moments with her flatmate seemed to be bypassed quite quickly in order to move the career part of the story along. This sometimes worked well and at other times felt rushed.

All in all the book is written well and had a strong and funny story. I finished it within a few days and found it quite easy to read. I did find that the book seemed to end rather abruptly and hope that Graham follows up her debut with a sequel focusing again on this set of characters.

NOTE TO KINDLE USERS- the book features hand written drawings and notes which are from the filofax of the main character. I found it quite difficult to read this on my kindle fire hd. It didn't affect my enjoyment of the book but was a but annoying as they are printed very small on the screen.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining read...., 30 April 2013
finalguy (Newport (Wales)) - See all my reviews
Lauren Graham/Lorealai Gilmore wrote a book!

I think there is a certain amount of dread whenever a favourite actor or singer decides to try writing a book, this almost instant assumption that it's not going to end well. I didn't have this feeling when I heard about Lauren Graham's debut, in fact I believed out right that she could do it, and I was proven right.

Make no mistake though, this is very much chick-lit, but it's at least well written and well thought out chick-lit, which makes all the difference. The story here concerns an actress living in New York, who is slowly slinking towards the deadline she set for herself to have 'made it' by. The main character here, called Franny Banks is very likeable, and it's very easy to simply picture Graham herself as the lead, whether it is supposed to be drawn from her own life I'm not sure, but if you're buying this book because of her name, chances are you will picture her while reading too.

The book does have the pre-requisite love interests/love triangle, and yes it is obvious who she will eventually end up with, though Graham wisely has a little fun getting self-referential about these things through the characters to the point where it's more amusing than cliched.

Overall this is a well-written, well-meaning, easy read from a great actress who has seemingly succeeded in a field where others have failed, and I hope it goes on to be a success for her.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book! Would be interested in reading more from Lauren Graham, 4 July 2013
I would rate this book 3.5 stars if I had the option of half stars.

I have to admit that I'm not that familiar with Lauren Graham. I've heard of her, but I haven't watched Parenthood, Bad Santa or Gilmore Girls. I understand she has a huge fan base though. It's always interesting to read a book by an actor, especially when the book's protagonist is an actor trying to make her way in the business. I wonder if any of it is autobiographical?

As mentioned, the novel follows an inspiring actress, Franny Banks, a woman in her mid-twenties who has given herself a deadline to make it in acting. All she seems to get is auditions for commercials. She struggles to pay her way in New York and to hold down a job as well as audition for everything that comes up.

I thought Someday, Someday, Maybe was a really enjoyable read. It was relatable in the way that many people of Franny's age and either younger or older are struggling with what comes next in their life, many are struggling to meet their own personal goals without becoming completely disillusioned. I enjoyed the characters. Franny was a fun character. She was incredibly likeable. I really liked her friend Jane as well. Their close friendship was portrayed beautifully. Jane reminded me of my best friend. I thought Dan, Franny and Jane's roommate was completely adorable.

I would class Someday, Someday, Maybe as a chick-lit read, but it's not your average chick-lit. The romances are in the novel, but they're not integral to the storyline. I didn't really buy into the romances, but I think this is because they weren't a main focus in the story. It wasn't imperative to believe the romances to enjoy the book. The focus is mainly on Franny and how she grows as the novel progresses. I liked how it was focussed on the struggles an actor goes through when they're trying to make it. It was full of funny scenes including the auditions, the experiences of having an agent, misunderstandings and plenty of "Is this my moment?" minutes.

I think if I had any criticism of this book it would be that nothing major really happens. It plods along nicely, and it's easy to read, but I didn't have any `Wow' moments when I was reading it. Lauren Graham does write well though, I'd be interested to read anything else that she writes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 25 May 2014
This is an easy read. It is a decent story but somewhat predictable. I love knowing Lauren Graham is an educated actor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story, 21 April 2014
Amazing book I felt like it was me in the story lauren graham not just an amazing actress but an amazing author to

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling and Enjoyable, 20 April 2014
I have been a massive fan of the TV show 'The Gilmore Girls' for years and so when I heard that the actress that plays Laurelie Gilmore had written a book I knew I would have to read it. So I put an order in for it at the library and waited it's arrival. It took ages to come in and I had a massive pile of books by then so I admit it's been in my cupboard for a while. But someone else has requested it so as I have a couple of days off for Easter weekend I decided now was the time.

Franny Banks set herself a target - 3 years in New York to become a successful actress, no longer. If she doesn't succeed by then she would move back home. The story starts with 6 months left of her 3 year challenge and all she has to show for her troubles is a commercial for Christmas jumpers. Can she turn everything round in 6 months, and finally catch her break or should she just give up now. Follow Franny as she struggles with casting calls, agents, boyfriends and rival actresses, no one said it would be easy but does everything have to be this hard?

I liked Franny as a character, she was funny, witty and a bit hopeless. A bit clumsy and always seeming to do and say the wrong thing. She has no real idea of how good she is, always putting herself down and fighting along. But no matter how bad things seem to get she still struggles on and refuses to give up. She actually reminded me of myself a bit, apart from the fact I'm not trying to be an actress, hehe.

For a first time novel I was very impressed, it was well written and captivating, I found it hard to put it down and ended up reading it pretty much in one go. I wanted to know what would become of Franny and I felt my heart go out to her, I desperately wanted her to succeed, she had my backing and I wanted to see it through. The only time she irritated me was her choice in men, I was desperate for her to wake up and see the one in front of her and dump the egotistical pig that everyone fawns over.

This story will have you rooting for Franny and you'll be laughing throughout. Every character, no matter how minor plays an important part and really sets the world of the book. I felt like I knew these people.

For a fairly light-hearted, enjoyable read I would recommend this book, it's fun and will have you turning the pages quicker as you absorb every word. I am impressed by Lauren Graham's work and hope she does more in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the book - read even if you're not a Lauren fan, 16 April 2014
A fun read- reminded me a bit of a blog I used to follow " this fish needs a bicycle" and the book "I was told there would be cake": both of which I loved.
I didn't quite follow the diary bits but overall I loved this book. I didn't want it to end! Read even if you don't know or like Lauren. It might be semi autobiographical but that doesn't change the fact that us a great book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great read, 15 Feb 2014
I really hope Lauren Graham writes another story, either a sequel or something else. I loved her writing style and was so surprised that I devoured this book in just 1 day. As a fan of her acting I suppose I didn't go into this book with very high expectations and instead found it far better than I expected! Please say Lauren is writing more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, 5 Dec 2013
Nothing to dislike about this book, funny, sharp and difficult to put down!! One of the best books I have read in ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!, 30 Sep 2013
Great first novel from Lauren Graham, was already a big fan of her as an actress. Would definitely recommend it to everyone! Very funny, witty, easy read!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Someday, Someday, Maybe: A Novel
Someday, Someday, Maybe: A Novel by Lauren Graham (Paperback - 24 April 2014)