5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, Amazing Results
Ultimately an exercise book has to be judged by the results. And the results have been fantastic.

Published on 25 Mar 2011 by dfeg

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much D.I.Y.
As always, let's go through the whole book:

Part I. Intro
Bla-Bla-Bla Military Bla-Bla-Bla New underwater record bla-bla-bla...
Okay, fair enough, if the author wants to show off a little bit, I don't actually mind.

Part II. Nutrients
This is a pretty good part of the book, explaining the ways in which you should shift your food...
Published on 23 Feb 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Book, Amazing Results, 25 Mar 2011
This review is from: You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises (Paperback)

The start of the book is mainly about the how and why the exercises work. In short by using your body weight you can exercise anywhere and by changing leverage/ angles of exercises they can be made easier or much much harder. The idea is you exercise regularly, build muscle and this muscle burns calories 24 hours a day.

The book has a detailed exercise section with a huge amount of exercises, images and good descriptions. You can either take these and make your own workout or follow one of his programs in the back. I did the latter and have loved it. I've lost inches and gained a huge amount of definition. The workout are no more then 30 minutes and mainly split into push, pull, core, legs. If you take it seriously and push yourself when you are doing it you will get results and you will know about it the next day.

One thing to add, I've got a basic pull-up bar at home (13 in argos). I've found this has been really helpful. Between using this, a chair, a towel or any combination of the three I've been able to tackle any exercise i've come across so far. You can do it without one but having one has definitely made it easier.

Fantastic book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good all rounder but not for total beginners, 6 Jun 2011
J. Wright "Jason" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
OK let's start off by talking about the negatives in this book. Firstly the author has a massive downer on straight cardio work like jogging, cycling etc. He puts forward several arguments as to why cardio is simply not effective as a workout routine. I rate this as a negative because cadio DOES have a place in any workout routine. It is proven to be a great fat burner and a great way to lose weight. if it doesn't work then why does the military use it?

Secondly, after trying out the Let Me In exercises I managed to pull the handle off the door! I don't consider myself that strong so beware. So I then tried the Let Me Up exercise and snapped the broom handle I was using. I'm now using an old bar from a car roof rack between two chairs and all is good. so the moral here is check your equipment before using!

So onto the positives of which there are many.

There is a great list of exercises that can be done with little or no equipment, with loads of variations to stop the whole thing becoming boring.

The whole tone throughout is very positive and the author encourages readers to put together their own workout programs. If you don't have time to mess around with that then he has included some 10 week programs at the back to get you started.

Overall this is a great book and just proves the point that you don't need expensive equipment or gym membership to get fit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, 30 Jun 2010
This book really is essential whether you're a casual exerciser or like me,a bit of a fanatic!!
For the beginners it really is clear,concise and very easy to follow with plenty of options to make each exercise easier or harder as required.
For the more experienced, you won't believe the results you'll get when you put down the weights and start using your body-i can safely say i haven't ached as much after a workout in years!!!!
Also included in the book are full explanations of all exercise terms and definitions (e.g. intervals,tabatas,circuits etc) and most importantly, a whole section on Nutrition(half the battle!!) plus motivational tips to help get you going.
All the pictures in the book demonstrating the exercises are very clear and easy to follow with written explanations of each including the muscles worked for each exercise
Plus,at the back of the book there are programs for beginners,intermediate,advanced and elite-everything u need to exercise at home,in the park,on holiday,wherever!

I can't recommend this book highly enough

5.0 out of 5 stars the best tenner ever spent on my health, 11 Nov 2013
I cannot recommend this book enough. I'm 50, been running, playing football for years but fat was creeping on & I was tired! Bought this book in April 2013 (writing this November 13), stopped the jogging on the books recommendation & kicked off the exercise regime (I followed it to the letter - why make it complicated??) My cardio capacity went up (!!!), I became stronger, my performance playing footie got better, started playing tennis, aches & pains disappeared, my moods improved, my wife can't get over the body shape changes. Honestly, I wish I'd got hold of this in my 20's. If it works for special ops it can work for you. Jack the gym membership, save time & money, sell the equipment you've bought & do this! & you can do this anywhere!! It is truly brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound advice, brilliant programme, 24 Jan 2011
This book really is a classic, in an era when going to the gym is more like playing a computer game. This book shows you how to keep in great shape anywhere anytime with little to no equipment. I know 1 reviewer made comment on equipment, but i'm sure most people have access to tables, chairs, towels, backpacks and doors, and even these aren't essential.
The book gives you the option of following one of Mark's highly effective programmes, or gives you tips on how to create your own. All aspects of fitness are included, the programme is periodised in such a way as to keep things interesting but without sacrificing progress.
I have a few books on bodyweight training, but this is easily the best. Using these books i have tried to work up to advanced exercises like 1 arm push ups and pistols, but have stalled as progressions get more intense. With this book i am making better progress than i ever have previously, and have also found some other very challenging exercises.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 May 2012
Firstly, The best recommendation I can make about this book is that I used to go to the gym 4 times a week for about an hour and a half each time. Now I go once, and that's only because I like having the convenience of running without getting wet! Add to this the fact that I do the work outs 4 times a week for a mere 20/30 minutes instead of the 90 and I feel feel myself getting fitter than ever, you can see how impressed I am with this book.
Some reviewers seem a bit peeved about the fact that a certain amount of extra "equipment" is required, but to tell you the truth anyone who doesn't have access to a door, tables, chairs etc is in a rather small minority. Now that's not to say that if you want to make things easier you could perhaps invest some of the hundreds of pounds you've saved by not going to the gym in an inexpensive item such as a pull up bar. Because clearly you can.
The one minor critisism I would maintain is when you start you'll find yourself fumbling back and forth through pages trying to find all the information to do the exercises. But after doing them 3 or 4 times you'll be able to remember them quite easily without looking anyway.
If you're looking to build muscle, improve you balance and coordination as well as getting fit without all the hassle and time of a gym work out, this book is for you. If you prefer to pump iron while at the same time remaining weak in many other ways, or conversly are looking for excuses to not do anything. then you should probably look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars good book, 3 Dec 2013
I really like this book.
I bought it because I have an aversion to the gym, they're always busy and due to my working hours it's pretty hard to find time to go when they're actually open. also I'm poor. added to this I much prefer body weight exercises, which this book uses for the most part.
the book has a lot of exercises, many that I hadn't seen before, giving good descriptions and pictures of how to perform each one as well as how to increase or decrease the difficulty for each one. even if you're well versed on body weight exercises it's a good reference and will no doubt give you some new ideas.
the first fifty pages of the book goes quite in depth into things such as nutrition, why strength training/body weight exercises, myths, motivation, etc. it's a pretty interesting read in and of itself.
it's got some exercise programs at the back of the book ranging from basic to mater class, these look okay but I never used them.
it also gives information on different workout styles - supersets, tabatas, stappers, etc.
the exercises themselves are split into groups - push, pull, legs, core, back and so on. making it really handy for a quick reference.
equipment is pretty much un called for but it makes life easier. you could do every exercise in the book without any actual exercise equipment, but I have a couple of dumbbells and a pull up bar which come in handy.
it's well worth a read for anyone interested in the subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this book, 20 Jun 2010
Having been a gym-rat for many years now, this is a welcome addition to my bookshelf.

Well written, clear & concise. I have found the exercises challenging and effective.

I disagree with the previous reviewer in that many of the exercises rely exclusively on yur own body weight and the rest require the most basic of equipment (eg a chair - c'mon, everyone has access to a chair!)

In sum, this is a great book for those wanting to get away from the usual gym equipment and into the world of freehand exercising. With 121 different exercises that can be addapted to reduce or increase difficulty, this book provides a framwork for constructing complete workout programs for people of all ages and abilities.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Early signs really promising., 21 Feb 2012
I have done body building for years and considered myself to be relatively fit. But since I've ditched the weights and started the 1st Class program I have realised what a waste of time lifting heavy weights really is. I am only on week 4 and have shed 5 kilos in this time period, but as the author points out,it's not really about how much you weigh but rather how you look, which is why I have stopped weighing myself regularly. I now realise how foolish I have been to neglect my core for so long, but I have been most impressed with my overall fitness. I will continue to use this book for the rest of my life and I recommend it to anybody who wants to improve their general fitness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Purchase, 19 July 2012
L. Moses "elsie" (London) - See all my reviews
I would certaily recommend this book to everyone. It has good descriptions, pictures and gerneral good ideas.
Loving it!!! I have been a personal trainer fro about 10 years but it is good to use as a bibe to suggest new ideas.

You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises
You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises by Joshua Clark (Paperback - 29 Jun 2012)
Used & New from: 14.99