5.0 out of 5 stars Its authors like Ben that make Fantasy worth reading
Review:
I seem to be using the Line "Best book so far" in a few reviews recently, and when writing this review stopped to consider why, It didn't take long. Why would the latest book not be the best yet. Like all jobs you improve your skill with each year. With the job or writing I think that more and more with authors this is the case. There are very few authors...
Published on 25 Jun 2012 by Parm

3.0 out of 5 stars Much the same as the earlier books in the series - a fun read, but didn't set my world alight
If you've read the previous books in this series, then you'll know broadly what to expect - a police procedural spiced up with magic, some Discworld-esque humour, and a loving depiction of the best and the worst aspects of London. All narrated by a likeable, knowledgeable and self-deprecating mixed-race wizard policeman.

I enjoyed both of the first two books,...
Published 2 months ago by Georgiana89

‹ Previous | 127 28 2933 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it Seawoll or SeaWolf, 5 Oct 2012
Again another excellent book, see previous reviews, but the Seawoll/ SeaWolf thing really bugged me. I particularly like Pc May.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 22 Sep 2012
Another excellent tome from Ben Aaronovitch - a great time out read. Love his humour (being an exiled Londoner myself) and it's great to read about places I know!!
Have got all his books on my Kindle and will be taking them away with me!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 17 Sep 2012
Another great read. I am really enjoying this series of books. I love the London setting as so many of the places are recognisable. Can't wait for the next one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Third Book, 5 Sep 2012
I read this book first and loved it so much I had to go back and read the first two!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good yarn, 27 Aug 2012
Continuing the series. The only reason for 4 and not 5 stars is a slight feeling that this volume was not quite on a par with the previous ones. Nothing specific. If you have reasd the previous volumens then you will enjoy this one. If not, I would recommend doing so before trying this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trevor, 3 Aug 2012
I just love all three books, but this one is the best so far. The plot development over the three books is super. If you havent read any, treat yourself and start with the first one and work your way through them...you will noe be disapointed i promise you.
Trevor

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 30 July 2012
Ben Aaronovitch just keeps on getting better. Whispers Under Ground was well paced, funny, descriptive, action packed and continued to develop its well loved characters from the previous two books. I couldn't put the book down until I finished it, which was unfortunate because I had a deadline to meet that week. I regret nothing though.

Looking forward to more of his books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whispers, 17 July 2012
Third book in the series and still excellent. The writing draws you in and it is hard to put down. Adult Harry Potter springs to mind and this is not a bad thing IMHO.
Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep this series flowing, 17 July 2012
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Okay, apologies for the flowing pun, I couldn't resist it.
In this third outing for trainee police wizard Peter Grant we find him investigating mysterious goings on underneath London following the murder of a US senator's son. Also lurking in the background of the story is his nemesis The Faceless Man.
A world under the streets of London is not an original theme as is was covered beautifully by Neil Gaiman in 'Neverwhere' but Ben Aaronovitch instills an origibal bent into the tale with his new characters and as with all his books you can never guess what is going to happen next. This was a book I couldn't put down until I had finished it. Originality has to be the byword for this series and yet for me they have a curious familiarity too as I have experience of being a police officer in London and have visited most of his locations at some time in the last thirty five years.
Many years ago I read a book called 'The Secret Rivers of London' which I foolishly lent someone and never got back, I'd love to know if a copy is lurking on Ben's bookshelf. I imagine it may have inspired this series.
Can't wait for the next one, there's not many books I buy in hardback to get them as soon as I can.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure pleasure and phantasmagorical fun, 17 July 2012
Brilliantly conceived and executed escapism with a hefty dash of the everyday and mundane to keep it believably real. Like Ian Rankin's Edinburgh, Ben Aaronovitch's London is as important a character in these novels as the cops, phantoms and villains. For me this was more of a page turner than the first two installments and it nonetheless made me ponder, smile and guffaw with pleasurable regularity. I will take it on holiday and read it again very soon, 'nuff said.

‹ Previous | 127 28 2933 | Next ›

Whispers Under Ground
Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch (Mass Market Paperback - 31 July 2012)
Used & New from: £2.84