5.0 out of 5 stars Its authors like Ben that make Fantasy worth reading
Review:
I seem to be using the Line "Best book so far" in a few reviews recently, and when writing this review stopped to consider why, It didn't take long. Why would the latest book not be the best yet. Like all jobs you improve your skill with each year. With the job or writing I think that more and more with authors this is the case. There are very few authors...
Published on 25 Jun. 2012 by Parm

3.0 out of 5 stars A little less good
Ben Aaronovitch continues to mine his seam, and with each book seems to do less. It's irritating that such a good writer manages to pack in so little by comparison to contemporaries such as Guy Adams (author of the excellent 'Clown Service' and 'The Rain-Soaked Bride' novels) and under-uses his most interesting characters. Whispers Under Ground ticks many boxes, but...
Published 2 months ago by A. Webb

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Still fun, 10 Mar. 2013
So we're back with Peter Grant, Lesley May and Inspector Nightingale. Lesley is now also training to be a wizard (or a `practitioner'). Like the previous two books Whispers Under Ground has its own story - the mysterious death of an American art student at Baker Street tube station. Also like the previous books there's more of an ongoing element. This time I suppose you could say it stretches back as well as forward.

I did really enjoy this book, but not quite as much as the other two. It does have the trademark humour but either I'm getting used to it or the one-liners are less zing-y than they were. Also the separation between the story-of-this-book and the unfolding narrative is more clear cut. I guess that in book 1 that's almost accidental because as events occur and discoveries are made you have no way to know whether it's connected to the current story because you don't really know until the end that some of it will carry on to the next book. However I also think the on-going story is given more time here. I think in two or three books time it will be the story of that book.

I think I enjoyed those elements more. Getting drip-fed more details about Nightingale's past is tantalizing and the `Faceless Man' is an intriguing villain. Also I think that the `A plot' involves a lot of running around tunnels and sewers and under the ground generally and it didn't grab me as much as the other stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Peter Grant series just gets better and better., 22 Feb. 2013
I have now read the first three in what I hope will be a much longer series of Peter Grant novels. The storyline is original and the characters engaging and well-rounded. Ben Aaronovitch's knowledge of London - reflected through Grant's character - is in itself educational and entertaining.
Already Aaronovitch has developed sub-plots that can be extended upon in future novels. Also, the increasing skill level of Grant's magic plus the inclusion of Lesley into the circle of magical practitioners, makes for intriguing future plots.
Ben Aaronovitch writes extremely well, uses a wealth of very British linguistic terms in his novels (some of which I admit to having to check the meaning of in my Kindle's dictionary - a most useful tool, I may add) and he seems to have an insider's knowledge of London Metropolitan police procedures.
All in all, a worthwhile read and I await the next instalment in the Peter Grant series, "Broken Homes", sometime in 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness working in Waterstones drove Aaronovitch to this!, 25 April 2013
I seem to spend my free time reading fantasy books these days and there are many places in the UK referenced by authors who want to appeal to an international audience by using some well-known landmarks and pop culture. This is the first time I have read something so authentic it captures the grime and the pulse of London with cool snippets of history & humour thrown in. The language of the characters: Nightingale with his WW public school dialogue, Lesley with her Essex girl lines, Peter with his dual heritage and refusal to be pinholed into any particular mould in spite of his "manor", Sewoll reminiscent of Gene Hunt-esque bluster is, in my opinion, what makes this a particularly home grown series which gets better & better. Dynamic characters, snappy dialogue, plenty of action, in fantasy gilding & a good old-fashioned, who-dunnit centre - this is my best read for in the last 5 years! Bring on the 4th book and a BBC series deal PLEASE!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Page Turner, 6 Jun. 2013
This is the third of the series involving PC Grant, a junior constable in London and his adventures working for the Folly. I liked this book as much as the previous two. I would say that a reader could easily start here just as well as at book 1 or 2, as it stands quite well on its own as a darn good yarn.

PC Peter Grant is not your usual murder-mystery hero. For a start he is a typical Londoner, i.e. from a housing estate in a low rent part of town. Secondly he can do magic. There is no explanation how he came by this gift just that it took a lot of practice, and is only used sparingly in the books. The supporting characters are well drawn and interesting, but the storyline is mainly about Peter.

The storyline is full of surprises and interesting twists. I was gripped from the start and found it enjoyable right to the end. I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read., 6 Jan. 2013
I was put onto this series by a friend and was hooked half way down page one. This is the third outing for the magical detective and it is still a very engrossing read. The characters are well developed and play off each other splendidly. This is NOT a British X-Files. That would be an insult. There is a depth to this series that suggests (hopefully) there will be more to come. There is clearly much more to C/I Nightingale than we know. Personally, I think he deserves a book of his own detailing just what did happen in his past and what happened in Germany to cause such a catastrophy to British wizardry.
If you havnt read the two previous books, dont buy this book. Buy the first two books and then buy this one. Or buy them all together. If you like your police work and your sorcery with a smattering of observational humor you will not be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 15 July 2013
Another great book by Ben Aaronovitch. I received the first two books in the Peter Grant series as a Secret Santa present and thoroughly enjoyed it - love that it's set in London, the author literally takes you down the streets of London naming well known buildings to the little pub round the corner. A good mystery with a side of comic humour.

5.0 out of 5 stars This series is Awsome!, 1 July 2013
Just as good as the first, possibly better as we know the characters so well from the first. This is the best series I have read in a long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love Whispers Underground, 21 July 2013
I love all of the books in this series and can't wait for the next one. Being a Londoner it's quite amazing to read a book set in your own town, set in places you have actually been, or could go to. The characters are brilliantly developed, but as the story is so unpredictable, so are they. Well done Mr Aaranovitch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Three is a charm, 13 Dec. 2012
D. J. Ketchin "living in books" (Edinburgh Uk) - See all my reviews
Another fantastic book by Ben Aaronovitch. This lively and funny magical police squad is the third in the series. It continues to mix of the banter and charm of the original two mixed with a police procedural slant.

Lesley rejoins the team- still disfigured , now as an apprentice in her own right. The banter between Peter and her -missing in the last book returns ,with a decidedly nerdy slant which made me laugh mu ass off.

The elemental bias for the books remains with this book being decidedly focussed on the Earth - rather than air and water like the last two.

The crime in question is the death of an american senators son in decidedly strange circumstances.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked!, 25 Sept. 2013
The cover of 'WHISPERS UNDERGROUND' caught my eye in our local Library. The description was enticing so off I went home anticipating a jolly good read. From the opening paragraphs I was totally hooked. The writing flowed effortlessly along and I was immersed in a wonderful tale,where the paranormal and magic were blended so convincingly with everyday life. It was just so believable, so good and entertaining.This was one of those 'can't put down' books that leaves you with memorable characters and situations and that satisfied feeling you get with an absorbing, well written book. Highly recommended. I love the Author's style and am off to read his other books!

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

Whispers Under Ground
Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch (Mass Market Paperback - 31 July 2012)
Used & New from: £2.20