5.0 out of 5 stars people Like Us
I really enjoyed reading this book as i have always liked Dominick Dunne's novels I usually pass them on to friends this one was excellent
Published 19 months ago by Beth

3.0 out of 5 stars People Like Us
The lives of the High Society rich in New York are shaken by the arrival of a nouveau riche husband and wife determined to fit in. The wife however, has a secret which she shares with a famous author struggling to deal with the murder of his daughter, some years earlier.

Published on 18 Aug. 2012 by Rich

3.0 out of 5 stars People Like Us, 18 Aug. 2012
This review is from: People Like Us (Paperback)

A pacy read, Dunne obviously knows his stuff, the people, the attitude. The plot is also good, the AIDS strand could be really cliched but is nicely underplayed. A little dry in places and overall it feels like the book could have done with a good polish. It's a little episodic in places and it doesn't always hang together. However, the characters are well drawn and it brings to life a time when old money met with new money. A good read, not particularly trashy, but not too worthy. This was also made into a mini-series starring Ben Gazzara, Connie Selleca from tv's 'Hotel' and Jean Simmons.

5.0 out of 5 stars people Like Us, 28 Nov. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining and very Dominick Dunne, 13 Mar. 2010
M. Rowe - See all my reviews
This review is from: People Like Us (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book when I needed an escape book to take on a cruise this last Christmas holiday. This was so Dunne and when I was finished I knew that this would be one of the last books I will read by him. I still have the latest one to read and then that will be it - I will have read them and loved them all. I will miss Mr. Dunne when I need a good read on holiday.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vanity Meets Novel, 23 Nov. 2010
This review is from: People Like Us (Paperback)
After reading his section in "Vanity Fayre" for many year up to his death, I have always found Dominic Dunne to be highly entertaining, and this novel, the second involving these characters, does not dissapoint.

3.0 out of 5 stars profusion of characters, 28 Feb. 2010
S. sharp "serenity" (london, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: People Like Us (Paperback)
I would sincerely love to read 'People like us' through to the end. However, what deters me is the confusion created by the myriad personae in the the novel. What could ultimately be a rewarding reading experience is marred by the endless profusion of characters dropping in one after the other without giving the poor reader a chance to build up the character in their mind.

There is something to be said for a gradual introduction in order to allow the reader to filter the line-up and thereby smoothe the way for the characters to settle in the mind.

This is a shame, because 'People like us' has an intriguing story - "...a tragic secret - and ... a violent plan."

Being a huge fan of Dominick Dunne, I will persevere once again, but DO have a thought for my poor head - spinning like a top with the multitude of dramatis personae!

People Like Us
People Like Us by Dominick Dunne (Paperback - Dec. 2009)