2.0 out of 5 stars "Jessie Shimmer" series book 3, 31 July 2014
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I really enjoyed book 1 of this series whilst book 2; although not quite to the same standard, continued to impress me. Unfortunately I didn't like "Switchblade Goddess" and only my enjoyment of the earlier books kept me going. In fact there were some parts of this book which made me feel uncomfortable, plus I just didn't understand why Jessie would allow certain events to happen and be so consistently overwhelmed by a more powerful enemy. She may have a cursed flaming arm and an enchanted stone eyeball, but Jessie is somewhat weak and ineffectual; heavily relying on others to help her or just dealing with an alarming amount of both physical and psychological torture when no one is round to help. She's a victim throughout the majority of this book as her enemy Miko toys with her.

Her familiar Pal is as equally ineffectual as Jessie; he's incapacitated by injuries sustained in book 2 and it takes quite a while before he can offer any help. Cooper and The Warlock also have diminished roles; acting more as bystanders as the plot revolves predominantly around Jessie and Miko; the latter proving as bloody thirsty as ever. I'm left wondering what happened to this series after such a promising start and I'm sorry to say after reading "Switchblade Goddess" I won't be reading any further books. 2½ stars

3.0 out of 5 stars Did I read the same book as everyone else?, 8 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Switchblade Goddess (Mass Market Paperback)
This book didn't suck, but it wasn't great either. While I absolutely loved the first book in the series, the books after it haven't been as interesting. I thought this one was actually better than the second (which I didn't particularly enjoy) but I didn't like the way most of the story threads were handled.

It feels like Lucy Snyder got tired of writing the book toward the end -- the last 3/4 seems rushed. Events are summarized, the scene jumps are sudden and the climax is too short to be satisfying, especially after two books' worth of build up. I'm tempted to turn this into a humorous, mocking post, but to be honest, I'm just disappointed :/

I like the story world and I think this series has SO much potential, but if the plot continues to meander and the story threads keep ending so... anti-climactically, I'll stop reading. My love for the first book has propelled me thus far, but my 'fan-ship' is banking on the next book.

Switchblade Goddess
Switchblade Goddess by Lucy A. Snyder (Mass Market Paperback - 20 Feb. 2012)