5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all parents

Published 19 months ago by E. Collins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for all parents, 7 Feb 2012
Caroline Derman (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calmer, Happier, and More Secure Kids (Paperback)
I cannot put this book down - it is one of the most useful and helpful parenting books I have read. My only regret is that I did not read this book when my children were younger - would have saved a lot of money on tons of books and toys which provided 5 minutes of entertainment at best. The book makes wonderful suggestions for building a lifestyle to allow your children to flourish in the critical period of childhood. I think this should be required reading for all parents

5.0 out of 5 stars My new "must-read" for all my friends, 31 May 2011
Dr. K. E. Patrick (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Payne and Ross have done something in this book that all books about simplifying or minimalizing our lives should do: they don't just dissect ways to de-clutter our homes in a guilt-producing, over-taxing sermon, but instead, gently point out the whole gamut of ways that our lives our over-cluttered.

Our time, our routines, our meals, our clothes and books and toys -- all the over-committed, over-burdened ways we have stretched our lives are having a negative impact on our peace, and even worse, on our children's peace.

They liken it to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, created not by a single shocking incident, but by a slow, insidious drip of heightened stressors.

That old story about the frog being heated up in a pan of water ...

Coming from a Steiner background, Payne really makes a lot of sensible observations about how children play when their toys are fewer, their books are carefully chosen, their clothing is limited; how much easier life can be made with a menu plan; how much calmer when there are blank spaces on the daily calendar.

It was a meaty book without being smug or preachy or padded, and probably is my favourite book so far this year. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars it's exactly what it says on the cover, 23 Jan 2011
I really enjoyed this book. If you are a busy parent and you want to slow down and really enjoy your children, it is a good book to read. It talks about decluttering childrens rooms and the less toys the better. Too much TV and computer games are not good, so if you are not prepared to cut back on tv and computer games, it's not for you or maybe it is, as it will explain how this can really improve your family life.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's working!, 10 July 2011
I came across this book by chance when another Amazon customer mentioned it in a review of a different title. I love it! I really like the writing style: it's informative, encouraging, sensible but not at all 'preachy'. I haven't yet tried out all of the things it suggests, but did do a MAJOR clear out of the kids' playroom nearly a month ago, just leaving a few games and well-loved toys (I stored the stuff elsewhere and have given them the option of swapping things in and out, but they haven't wanted to do that yet). The change has been remarkable. They are much calmer, playing together (and with me) much more frequently, they can see what they have to play with and choose to play games rather than blob in front of the telly, they're keen to keep the room tidier... Basically, all of us feel much calmer. I wish I'd read it when I was pregnant and never got into the pattern of buying too much stuff, feeling that they always need to have things to do / be entertained etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is life changing, 14 April 2012
C. Robertson "Poppi" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
I have never written a review before but this book has inspired me to encourage others to read it. It's written in such a refreshingly unjudgementle and fluid way. It really has inspired me to change our families ways and not just for the sake of the children - but for the mums and dads to. I never even realised how much stuff we had accumulated. I feel freer. Please read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply enjoyable, 24 Feb 2011
What I liked the most about this book is how it raises awareness among parents of how complex our lives have become and how that is affecting our children. Too many screens, to much time spent on the Internet, the TV, texting people, expecting phone calls, e-mails, having to keep up with the latest news and the latest consumption demands, all of this is just turning everyone into extremely anxious stressed heads. The beauty of this book is making us aware of this very modern phenomenon and giving parents sound advice and tips on how to create moments of peace and relaxation for both themselves and their children. It highlights the importance of creating a calming environment within the family so all the busyness and bustle of the outside world doesn't get into the souls and minds of our little ones. This book is about protecting and cherishing childhood rather than bombarding it with all the demands of the modern world. I fully recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST for all parents, 21 Oct 2011
You know how they say babies don't come with a manual? Well, from now on, this book should be given out to all parents in the Delivery suite. Quite simply - it's brilliant. Forget hundreds of toys, the need to constantly amuse your kids and keep them entertained, forget the idea of shuffling them through their busy after-school schedules and forget even the idea of 'educational' toys and books - most of all, forget telly. If you can give your kids time, space, calm, a few basic things they can play with that engage their imagination (e.g. paper and pencils), a good home routine (which creates stability), inclusion in everyday tasks (e.g. setting the table) and a few family board games then you've cracked it. This book gets you back to basics. Kim John Payne writes brilliantly and illustrates his point with real-life stories from his 20 year practise in the field, and as a parent, the love for his kids is apparent. Look no further than this book if you want to raise ... well, exactly what it says on the cover!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 18 Sep 2011
J. Millington "julie_snoringcat" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a great book that states what a lot of people have been talking about for some time, that children need less not more material things, and it tells you how to reduce your / your childrens dependence on 'stuff' and the improvement that you will see in your family life.

We have started to follow some of the recommendations and if is def working for us.

5.0 out of 5 stars I think this book might change my life., 27 Jun 2013
I got this book on recommendation from some online friends who, like me, are trying to declutter their homes. This is where the book begins - the whole thing is about excess and how damaging it can be, and the most practical place to start is your child's bedroom! But it goes way beyond the physical act of binning toys.
It all makes total sense, and while I'm not usually a fan of 'parenting guides' I found this book to be inspirational and positive. It is not preachy, and its goals feel attainable. For the first time, I feel we really can get back to being the family we always imagined we would be.

3.0 out of 5 stars Back to Basics - simple advice, 11 Sep 2012
E. Collins "Marmite Sarnie" (Sussex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book does what it says on the packet - the general description pretty much covers the entire content of the book. The general ethos is very admirable and a good reminder of the basics of what good parenting should be about - e.g. setting up predictable routines for kids, clearing the clutter, less screen time, less scheduling and more time for relaxed playing. As such, it's a good reminder to parents of the ideal we should all be aiming for - going back to basics and thinking about the maybe obvious, but often overlooked things that would make our childrens lives happier.

My only bug bear about this book is that I found it rather long winded - you have to read through a lot of waffle to cut to the chase. I also thought the examples used tended to be quite extreme cases, and as such some of the advice was rather drastic and a bit inflexible (e.g. always having the same meals on the same day of the week). The assumption being that every one reading this book is in need of some drastic action, whereas arguably if you picked up this book in the first place, you're probably half way there anyway.

It gave me a few new ideas and inspired me to "get back on track". I did get a bit bored half way through though, as the advice is quite "hair shirt" and liable to leave any vaguely "normal" parents feeling slightly anxious and guilty over their mountainous plastic toy habit! Good advice, but quite hard to live up to.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›