4.0 out of 5 stars A long way to go, but its of Pern. I like it
Published on 28 July 2012 by Scorpio

3.0 out of 5 stars More development needed
Published on 13 July 2012 by Mark Rand

3.0 out of 5 stars More development needed, 13 July 2012
This book feels as though Todd has a lot of ideas and plot material, but he has used it up in a profligate way, without adding enough detail to make a good book. Anne (R.I.P) tended to take relatively few characters and a simple plot and develop them well. This book contains a vast number of players with a large plot, but little time to get to know them. There's enough material here to cover three books. I'm not an author and have difficulty writing a coherent letter to my mum, but maybe Todd should look at the way David Weber or L. E. Modesitt Jr. can fill a story in with detail instead of using it all up too soon and confusing the readers.

Sorry Todd, You've got an impossible standard to live up to.

2.0 out of 5 stars Sadly lacking, 12 July 2012
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
With this being Anne's final foray into the world of Pern with her son Todd, I was expecting great things, firstly because I thought that it would be polished to a diamond shine in her memory and secondly because of the overall threads that were available to develop.

What unfurled sadly was a disappointment as it felt disjointed, the characters forgettable and with so many similar sounding names, it caused no end of trouble until I started keeping a record of who was who. This only lead to greater pauses in reading and when added to an overall arc that really didn't accomplish much in my opinion, left me feeling cheated as well as let-down. A great shame all in.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 July 2012
Mr. W. Austin "insanelad" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I've been a fan of the Pern books for a very long time, and I think it's fair to say that I love them.
I didn't love this one.
It seemed really rushed and incomplete, more of a proposal for a much bigger book, or even a couple of books. There's too much in there, but there isn't enough explanation, or depth of exploration of the themes and ideas, and it comes across and confusing. The frustrating thing is that there are some really nice ideas in here - the Sky Wing, the green queens, the disagreement between riders/lovers, but they weren't explored. There were too many characters with names starting with J; and I didn't feel as if I knew these characters very well at all.

Get it if you're a completionist and want to have the whole Pern series. If you're in any doubt at all, save your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars A long way to go, but its of Pern. I like it, 28 July 2012
Scorpio (Plymouth, Devon UK) - See all my reviews
The last book Anne McCaffrey wrote with her son Todd before her death in 2011. I am a big fan of hers, so yes, I enjoyed it. It was not the best she had written, but it was of the dragons of Pern 'nough said. A whole lot of people are not going to like this book. Todd has a great act to follow. He is not his mother but is trying to keep Pern alive. He has a long way to go. I do hope he makes it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sky Dragons (The Dragon Books), 4 Sep 2012
After reading the reviews posted here I was worried that Todd Mc Caffery had changed his writing style and alter the general feel of the Pern world books.

I'm very happy to report that the Sky Dragon book is an excellent read and if anything a little less complex to the last book as he has centre the tale around the group of riders who have journeyed back in time to help repopulate and save the persent day Weyrs. Infact the tale is taking on the very direction I felt screamed out to me as I read the last book.

To conclude if you love the Pern world series be not affraid to get this book which is an excellent read. Many thanks.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor, uninspired, dissapointed, 18 Jun 2013
Will the poor dragons and riders of Pern ever ever survive yet another "plague"/"Disaster"/"Depopulation" plot that Anne in her day mastered wonderfully, that certainly don't need to be repeated over and over again.

Without wanting to be ridiculously negative and trying to not mention too much the "samey" characters we've seen before under the disguise of different names in different books, perhaps the time has come for Todd to put down his mothers legacy before he utterly undoes her hard work by boring her many admiring fans to death.

I found nothing unique, new or evocative of the original Pern novels in this redo of plots and themes we've seen more than enough times already. Disappointing all over and I had to force myself to finish reading it.

I will without doubt go back to the original Pern series written by Anne and will continue to love every single character and story she created. I won't be doing the same with any of the ones written by Todd, which is a great shame, because Annes legacy deserves better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the mark, 23 Nov 2012
I'm sorry and perhaps I'm a traditionalist but Todd McCaffrey isn't his mother.

Anne McCaffrey's voice and style are so different than Todd's and I find Todd's grates on me. I don't like his character development,and I find his plots just a re-gigging or an amalgamation of the orginals. I have been seduced into buying the dragon books because I've loved them for years, but unless Todd finds a different style I'm giving up.

3.0 out of 5 stars Dragosn of Pern, 2 Oct 2012
This is a read for fans of Anne McCaffrey and her son Todd. To really appreciate it you need to have read the previous three books in the series. Not quite up to the original 'Pern' books.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yet more timing. Yawn, 27 Nov 2012
I decided to give this a final try, purely because I found the idea of a female blue rider interesting (one of the few things I didn't like about the original Pern books was the fact that women weren't allowed to Impress fighting dragons).

Someone needs to teach Todd that numbers in a book should be written longhand (ie, 'one hundred and twenty eight dragons', not '128 dragons'), although in fairness, this is also something that his editor should have picked up on.

Anyway, Pern's dragon population has been decimated by plague - again - and some Brave Dragonriders decide to time it and raise enough eggs in the past to fight for Pern's future. Again. To paraphrase Aliens, how many different ways is Todd going to tell the same story?

We're led to believe that mating fights between greens and queens are commonplace in Sky Weyr, yet no dragons seem to be seriously hurt. This is in direct contrast with Anne's established continuity in Dragonquest, when Prideth and Wirenth fight to the death. Then having more than one female dragon rise to mate is seen as a catastrophe. Here it's more of an irritation.

Todd does seem to have woken up to the fact that not everybody loves Fiona as much as he does. Unfortunately he's overcompensated for this fact and the other characters spend as much time vilifying her as they did loving her in previous books. Filling in for the Pernese Mary-Sue is Xhinna, who has become a far stronger character in this book, but it seems to me as though she wins everyone's respect and liking far too easily. Still, at least she's not sleeping with anyone that breathes.

There are some ridiculous notions; we're told that the dragons and their riders go between to outer space and hover by the Dawn Sisters. Although we know from F'nor's trip to the Red Star in Dragonquest that traveling this kind of distance is certainly possible, Todd expects us to believe that a quick gulp of air is all that's needed to survive not just the temperatures of outer space, but that one can just brush off the inevitable - and fatal, at least for the times they spend - decompression sickness as though it was nothing, spending up to three minutes in these conditions over and over again with no ill effects.

There are also some very good and interesting notions, such as green dragons clutching, the concept of Sky Weyr and the Sight, although this last one stretches things a little for me. However, the book doesn't really develop any of these concepts as well as it could have.

Comparing Anne's Pernese books with Todd's is like comparing a diamond with a lump of coal; they're both technically the same thing, but the difference between the two is all too clear. Unless he can come up with some far better story ideas, ones which don't involve Pern's safety hanging by a thread, I'll be steering clear of his Pern books in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars So disappointing, 15 July 2013
I have always loved the Pern series but, sadly, this is the worst one yet. Anne McCaffrey always took great care to introduce characters and give some kind of resume as to what had gone before but Todd doesn't do this and I found I got totally confused. There were far too many characters and I got very muddled as to who was who and when was when!. I dont think I will be reading any more Pern books - so sad.

Sky Dragons (Dragonriders of Pern)
Sky Dragons (Dragonriders of Pern) by Todd J. McCaffrey (Hardcover - 26 Jun 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01