Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 2 January 2009
Sofia is the reporter, Jack the FBI agent, typical story of the pair meeting up. Not one of her best, for those of you who know Julie`s books there is not enough interaction between Jack and Sofia, it was good to catch up with Regan/Cordie and Alex from Murder List,I will always buy Julie`s books but this was a disapointment. Will look forward to Cordie`s story. For those of you who are new to Julie try any of her early books "For the roses"/The Prize/The Secret/Ransome, you will love them.
Big Julie Fan.
on 6 October 2009
I enjoyed this story of Sophie and Jack, but it was not as good as many of Julie Garwood's previous books in this series. I loved the rest of them including The Murder List in which book Sophie is introduced as a minor character. And yes I would like Cordie's story too some time.

I did enjoy the character of Sophie, I liked how she lived her life whilst regretted the things she could no longer afford as she would not use her father's money, and I liked Jack, the FBI partner of her best friend's husband; he was delicious. The newspaper office scenes where she worked were very funny as was her interview with the future murder victim. However I found the development of the love story did not really work for me as Jack did not seem to understand quite what Sophie has been thorough because of her father, who is a well know yet beloved crook, in the line of Robin Hood. Somehow the interlude in Alaska and why Jack is told to go with her seemed far fetched. It would have been nice to have had a scene at the time when Jack and her father met.

I still think Julie Garwood writes a good romantic suspense story.
on 22 September 2014
Great book. Not her most recent but still a good story
on 7 January 2011
I've really liked several of Julie Garwood's previous books so was looking forward to this one when I opened its pages. However I did find this story something of a disappointment, although I'm not entirely clear why.

Our heroine, Sophie Rose, is a reporter at a Chicago newspaper. Her father is a big-time thief, a kind of modern Robin Hood, and people are always trying to get Sophie to inform on him - which she refuses to do. When she meets Jack MacAlister from the FBI she's afraid he'll also be after information on her father but in fact he wants to help protect her when it becomes clear her life is in danger.

Jack and Sophie find themselves travelling to Alaska to follow a lead in a mysterious death of a 5k runner that Sophie had interviewed. But the danger may also have moved to Prudhoe Bay from Chicago and Sophie and Jack may need to rely on each other to keep safe and to uncover the mystery.

The first thing to say about this book was that, as an Englishwoman unused to guns, Jack seemed to shoot rather a lot of people through the course of the book. I think he finished off about ten people - which would, for example, be one-fifth of the entire gun deaths in the United Kingdom in one year. I'm glad he went to Alaska and not Britain as we wouldn't know what to do with a trigger-happy person like him! Putting that aside, I liked Sophie's tenacity in following the story about William Harrington the runner and her loyalty to her father, although I felt the author cheated a little in making him a Robin Hood character; he would have been more interesting if he were a proper 'baddie' and Sophie's loyalty was tested more strongly between family and 'right'.

The author does a reasonable job of explaining the cold of Alaska but I didn't feel totally convinced by it at all times and I didn't find the book particularly gripping. The short sections from the point of view of a scientist working up in Alaska I felt were also rather unnecessary and didn't add enough to the story.

Originally published for Curled Up With A Good Book © Helen Hancox 2011
on 27 May 2016
Bought for a present, lovely
on 18 December 2009
i too found this book lacking in depth. i found myself wanting the book to end. i found her earlier books fascinating but for me her contemporary stuff doesnt have the same sizzle.
on 15 February 2010
This was a good read, and looking forward to the next one in the series
on 8 May 2015