5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking series
I have been really impressed with Karen Traviss' work ever since the first few pages of 'Hard Contact'. I have read many books in the Star Wars saga, from Timothy Zahns brilliant 'Thrawn Trilogy' to the 9 book X-Wing series and have loved every page.
Published on 20 Nov 2007 by Mando'ade Lee

2.0 out of 5 stars True Colours Review
I know the other reviewers of this book have given it glowing praise, but I must say I am somewhat disappointed.

Published on 19 Jan 2012 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A cracking series, 20 Nov 2007
This review is from: True Colors (Star Wars: Republic Commando) (Mass Market Paperback)
As good as those books and series were, I am equally impressed with Traviss' gritty realism and her ability to make me care as much for the clone troopers as their hard talking and even harder fighting 'Buir' Kal Skirata. Her ability to give identical characters their own individual hopes, dreams & expectations is most impressive and have made for 3 really cracking page turners.
A heartfelt thanks to KT as these books are a very welcome addition to the star wars literary universe and a fantastic read for any fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsurpassable, 10 Mar 2008
Beedo Sookcool (Torbay, Devonshire, England) - See all my reviews
I have read A LOT of "Star Wars" books, from comics to novels to reference works. A couple of them are execrable. Three or four could have been done better. Most are pretty dang decent. A few can be labelled as amazingly good. But Karen Traviss' "Republic Commando" series leaves every other "Star Wars" book in the dust. The series has just about everything anyone could ever want in a work of fiction: high tech gadgets, intense military action, budding romance (but surprisingly realistically, and not in a stomach-churning, chick-flickish way), camaraderie, intrigue, exposure to fascinating cultures, and lots of things going "BOOM!"

"True Colors" is no exception. Here, the well-established characters you have come to know and love over the previous two books start to question their purposes and callings in life, with almost all of them having to make life-altering decisions. And if you've read the previous two books in the series, you will understand their positions and reasons for making their choices. And you will approve at every step of the way. You will even end up cheering for Walon Vau.

As always, I give this latest "Republic Commando" offering my highest recommendation: I hope that should you choose to buy this volume, you will enjoy it every bit as much as I have. Kandosii!

2.0 out of 5 stars True Colours Review, 19 Jan 2012

When I began reading this series of books I was hoping that I would get an action packed view of the Clone Wars through the eyes of the combatants themselves and be introduced to new worlds, battles, weaponry, tactics and get a feel for the whole war.
Given that I have read the excellent Gears of War books that Karen Traviss has written my expectations and hopes were high, only to be dashed by a rather bland, romance and soap opera view of the Clone Wars.

This has missed a golden opportunity in my view. A real shame. This takes a few characters a builds a cliche of soap opera plots within the background of the Clone Wars. There are inklings of good ideas that are never fully explored or realised. I can't decide whether to read the next book or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars True Colours Review, 20 July 2011
True Colours is a spectacular book for all those fans who wish to gain a perfect grasp or knowledge of Mandalorian culture. Though the book does not directly focus on a set storyline involving Mandalorians themselves such in Revelations; it focuses on the Mandalorian culture surrounding the Clone Commandos of the Grand Army of the Republic and their brave and heroic missions during the Clone Wars!

I recommend this book because it is full of suspense, action and thrills that will get any novice or experience Star Wars reader a jump and burst of excitement for the next chapter. I do however advise that readers read the books in the correct order to get a better perspective! (Hard Contact > Triple Zero > True Colours > Order 66 > Imperial Commando)

5.0 out of 5 stars True colours of a brilliant series, 13 May 2011
We're at the mid-section with this book.
Hard Contact gave a brilliant start: burst into a second deployment, with all 4 RCs already facing their inner struggles and shock and realization that everything wouldn't be as they were told, as well as an encounter with a Jedi with no knowledge of the clone army.
Triple Zero gave us great ground to move forward; a book which built very firm relations and set up all the important relationships for the books to come, and even more insight to the individuality of the clones (which I love the most; these men are not identical copies. They may have the same genes, but they have their own thoughts, personality and problems).
Now we meet True Colors. This is pretty much a book of it's word; the true colors of the characters we've begun to love. Our heroes are pushed further to their limit. More importantly, we see in far greater depth the opposition of opinion from the 'great Jedi' which we learn primarily from Etain and Jusik. Traviss gives the reader an opportunity to see the Jedi Order from a different angle (which in my opinion is the truth). This book also creates some intense moments, but which all lead onto further brilliance in "Order 66"

5.0 out of 5 stars A warning for all..., 8 Feb 2008
M. Turner - See all my reviews
If you buy this book expecting and wanting a typical Star Wars novel, look elsewhere. On the other hand, if you want a heartbreaking morality tale cleverly disguised as science-fiction, then there is no possible circumstance in which this will be a waste of money. This is the first Star Wars story I've bought since the Legacy of the Force series started that I haven't felt was a waste of time (though Traviss' contributions to that series stand out despite the awful, rehashed Ep. III plot line). The key here, I think, is that for once the Jedi are placed on the sidelines, the focus being purely on the clone army and the Skirata clan. Why George Lucas missed the potential for exploring the moral implications of the clones is a mystery. Without going into depth about the plot, some questions are raised about the long-term treatment plans of severely injured troops and what exactly happens to those who decide the Republic isn't worth fighting for. Perhaps it may just be the context of the times we live in, but this book could easily be a commentary of contemporary society. It's such a wonderful feeling to find sci-fi that reaches the highest level of potential the genre has to offer, and this novel stands with the best.

I salute you Karen Traviss. Vencuyot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly awesome, 30 April 2010
Mark Kaye (Leeds England) - See all my reviews
It has been a while since I read this book, and I am not very good at remembering stuff. But I do rememebr this, it was a truly awesome book, infact anything by Karen Traviss is awesome. I have only read her Star Wars material 9 book in all, not including the Imperial commando series which I havn't read yet, never the less her work is a must for any Star Wars Fan.

Oya, Manda!

True Colors (Star Wars: Republic Commando)
True Colors (Star Wars: Republic Commando) by Karen Traviss (Mass Market Paperback - 30 Oct 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01