5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Scottish historical romance
This is the second book in Monica McCarty's first trilogy which tells the story of the McLeod siblings, this second book is about Alex, the younger brother of Rory (the hero in Monica McCarty's first novel: Highlander Untamed).

Published on 26 Jan 2010 by Stella (Ex Libris)

Published on 3 July 2012 by The Demon Librarian

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing compared to the other books in the two trilogies, 3 July 2012
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Highlander Unmasked (Mass Market Paperback)
Well this was disappointing. I think 'underwhelmed' is the word of the day. Out of the two inter-connecting series', the MacLeods of Skye and the Campbells, I have now read 4 out of the 6 books. Yes, I am reading them all in the wrong order, mostly just to annoy people who think that's against God's plan *grin*, and partly because... I have no idea why. Because I felt like it. I'm contrary, what can I say?

But, out of those 4 I've read, this was by far, far, FAR the weakest entry. The plot was nigh on non-existent, the romance took until the last 20 pages to do anything, it was just so far below the standard of the other books. I'm a bit shocked, actually. And the portrayal of Alex's character is a million miles away from the nicer, less grumpy younger brother of Rory Mor we met in the first of this trilogy. I know he's supposed to have become hardened after his years away fighting with the MacGregors, but he was literally unrecognisable.

My Mummy says if you haven't got anything nice to say you shouldn't say anything at all. So I shall leave it there because the rest of the books have been really, really good, so I suppose I'll let this one slide.

2 Stars ''

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Scottish historical romance, 26 Jan 2010
This review is from: Highlander Unmasked (Mass Market Paperback)

I have to confess this second book is my least favourite in the trilogy, but still it is remarkably good (I just personally prefer the 1st and 3rd novels). McCarty's writing is again stellar, her prose is flowing and her characters are again more than mere 2D characters, they come off the page and live and breathe. Here is a heroine who is not that beautiful, at least her beauty is not striking at first sight, but has sucha kind and warm heart you'll instantly like her.

This novel is pulsing with passion (most of the time with repressed attraction and desire) and thanks to McCarty's brilliant writing you cannot remain unaffected.

If you like quality historical romance, reading about larger than life heros, or if you simply liked Monica McCarty's first novel, I'm sure you won't be disappointed by Highlander Unmasked. It is fast-paced, sensual, exciting and wonderfully written. (And if you do like it, don't stop there, go and read McCarty's other novels, you are in for a treat.)

Highlander Unmasked
Highlander Unmasked by Monica McCarty (Mass Market Paperback - 28 Aug 2007)
5.07