5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut book

3.0 out of 5 stars Only if you love Mills and Boon
Published on 10 Jan. 2011 by Mrs H Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut book, 22 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Highlander Untamed (Mass Market Paperback)
Rory McLeod, a powerful chieften has agreed to handfast Isabelle McDonald the daughter of a rival clan. His plan to go through with the handfast and finish it later to right the wrongs that was done to his sister. Rory is unprepared for Isabelle's beauty and is shocked of it's affect on him. He finds it hard to remain detatched and cool when he's around her but he is determined to stick to his plan.
Isabelle is unaware of rory's plans for her. But she has plans of her own. She must find an artifact belonging to the Mcleods for generations and pass on the information to her uncle then she will be released from her obligation.
Both though are unprepared for the affect they have on each other and find they are falling in love. both Rory and Isabelle start to put their plans aside, until Rory beleives Isabelle has betrayed him.
This is a great debut book with strong characters and a great storyline. I've read all three books and all have captured my attention. I will be looking out for more books by Monica McCarty and she is a writer to look out for in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, sensual, wonderful romance!, 11 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Highlander Untamed (Mass Market Paperback)
I have just finished reading Monica McCarty's debut novel: Highlander Untamed, but I sure will read the other 2 books of the trilogy!

The story is gripping and keeps you interested, her characters seem real, not just some shallowly painted 2D, made up characters, but actual persons. Monica McCarty has put great effort into giving them depth and substance, and she has succeeded! Her characters won't leave you indifferent, either you will love them fiercely (Isabel is such a loveable and sweet charcter, but she still has a backbone, Rory the hero is wonderfully handsome and oh so noble) or you will shrink from them from disgust (as from the MacDonald of Sleat or the Mackenzies). And another thing I found refreshing about her novel wasthat she gave space and depth to the supporting characters too! You grew to love them, because she gave you a glimpse into their lives and thoughts! Alex (oh what a charming and sweet man, I'm so glad we'll see him again the 2nd book!), Margaret, Ian and Bessie are just a few of them, but they really grew close to my heart while reading Highlander Untamed.

McCarty's story telling is gripping and will transport you in the misty green medieval Scotland in no time! Her writing style is exceptional, with such a superior writing quality that I haven't seen for quite some time in other recent romance writers. Her writing is amazingly brilliant and evocative, she paints such a real picture of the scene, of the characters, that you feel you are there witnessing what is happening, or at least watching it like a movie!

The emotions, attractions, friendships, loves, loyalties, hate, betrayals are described very powerfully, they are not just words, but raw, overwhelming or heartwarming emotions. McCarty wove so much sensuality into the whole story, that it keeps simmering all through. I love reading about the H/H inner struggles and thoughts and emotions, and Mccarty gave me that to perfection! I was constantly aching, my heart feeling squeezed when I read about their irresistable attraction and suffering. It was brilliantly done, with so much finesse, subtlety and elegance! McCarty's superiority and quality as a writer has been proven without doubt in her debut novel.

If you are a historical romance lover, if you love your heroes to be larger than life, broad, noble, strong, honourable Scots, if you like to read sensual, heartwarming good quality romance, then I think you'll simply love this book! I strongly encourage you to read Highlander Untamed, the first in Monica Mccarty's trilogy, you won't regret it! Quite the contrary, I think you'll discover a new favourite! That's what happened to me! :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars More like a guide to a clansman etiquette, 12 Aug. 2014
Not quite a romance more an insight into the Scottish clans and their fight for land.
Isabel was just another pawn in a game of war. She'd been sent to Rory's castle in a hope that some form of treaty could be made between the Macloud's and the Macdonald's.
There was a build up to Isabel and Rory's union but I felt let down when they eventually got together because no sooner had I had a peek at some romance it was snatched away. Things seemed be dragged out after that with the running of a castle and demands from royalty.
If your interested in the way of the clansman then you'd probably enjoy this but I'm more into a good hot Scotsman who'll sling you over his shoulder and lock you in his castle lol.

3.0 out of 5 stars Only if you love Mills and Boon, 10 Jan. 2011
I went on the positive reviews and downloaded this to my iPad. It was my fault. I searched for Highlander books when I should have searched for paranormal highlander books, as paranormal romance is my thing. I did enjoy it at first. The premise about the hand fasting and spying that Isabel was meant to do to save her clan was a good idea. however, for me the story went wrong when her clan went back home straight after the hand fasting ceremony.

From that point on until half way through the book there was no combative action whatsoever, even though fierce clan wars are meant to be what it's all about, apart from the fact that they are both such overwhelmingly beautiful people that they have a massive attraction to each other but whilst she tries to seduce him at every opportunity, his honour and loyalty to his clan always comes first. There is nothing else but the two of them and a couple of petting scenes, in which btw he makes exactly the same moves twice. This gave the impression that Rory's bedroom expertise was rather limited and I wondered if they would ever get on with it properly given the fact that they seemed to feel so into each other that they never felt that way before. Yawn.

When the half way book fighting scene finally came it was played up so much, ie there was sooooo much danger in riding out beyond the castle walls and how the absent Rory would be extremely furious about them doing just that that I expected a mighty battle about to take place. Alas, the build up went on too long as well and was incredibly tame. It was only a skirmish with a few warriors that should easily have been defeated by the MacLoad guards but tHose seemed to disappear inexplicably and a lot of silliness occurs with Alex going it solo and being bonked on the head and Isabel doing something equally stupid and nearly got raped. Then all of a sudden the two month absent Rory miraculously reappears just in time and we are even robbed of how he dispatched the enemy by himself. No combat action whatsoever.

Following this we are right back in the castle with the same I am seducing you/I am resisting you storyline as before. At this stage I started skipping in the hope it would get more interesting, but it's just more of the same. No real action and even her original mission is now by the wayside.

If you love this kind of Mils and Boon and many do, with which there is no fault, then you'll love this but if you prefer more of the paranormal, fast paced action that is not just about swooning of the protagonists then there are better books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Historical hot stuff, 2 Nov. 2010
I enjoyed this book. It is a historical romance set in Scotland charting a period of feuding between several clans.
Isabelle and Rory are caught up in an attempt to halt the feud. He, the head of his clan, is handfasted to her, daughter of a rival clan for a period of a year. Rory intends to return her to her family at the end of the handfast in revenge for the way they treated his sister. In turn, Isabelle has been forced into promising that she will steal a valuable artifact from Rory's clan for her uncle, and that she will reveal as many of their secrets as she can find out.

Rory is a strong, gruff and handsome highlander with a heart of gold, a character that is easy to warm to. Isabelle is a kind and gentle soul but McCarty manages not to make her annoying or insipid. She's feisty when she needs to be. The chemistry between the characters as they try to muddle along in the handfast without falling for each other is very good, well written. There's plenty of battle and bedroom action as well ;) The side characters of Rory's siblings really added to the story, and the climax of the book was exciting enough to hold my attention. It didn't feel too cheesy which is an added bonus in this genre!

The book's not without flaws (occasional unrealistic dialogue, for example) but it's well-worth a read. The style reminded me of Kresley Cole or Gena Showalter but without the paranormal aspect.

I'd recommend it to anyone that likes historical romantic drama with a touch of action.

4.0 out of 5 stars very enjoyable, 20 Aug. 2013
I love this author. She knows how to create great suspense and really interesting and deep characters. She creates excellent stories with thrilling plots but best of all steamy sexy scenes full of love and care not trashy like some less eloquent writers.

5.0 out of 5 stars New author for me, 12 April 2010
Old Romantic (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Highlander Untamed (Mass Market Paperback)
I am always on the look-out for authors who write the type of books I enjoy. Monica McCarty fits the bill. I really enjoyed this book. It is the first one I have read of hers and I am now on my second. Keep on writing Monica I'm a fast reader!

5.0 out of 5 stars nice, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Highlander Untamed (Mass Market Paperback)
Arrived promptly, in good condition, reasonable price. This is a good read and I would recommend it to anyone who loves history and romance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 22 May 2013
Annie (Annan, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Highlander Untamed is a great book, so easy to get lost in it, I love Monica Mccarty books and this one is a must

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 May 2015
Great

Highlander Untamed
Highlander Untamed by Monica McCarty (Mass Market Paperback - 31 Aug. 2007)