5.0 out of 5 stars Book Four of Vatta's War, 15 April 2007
You really need to read the earlier volumes to get the the best from this book. Most of the main characters are busy doing their separate activities in different systems so it has the effect of being like several amalgamated short stories. Nevertheless it is still a very enjoyable book with lots of plotting,action,and adventure. This is Elizabeth Moon at her best and once started hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars The fourth.. and best?, 18 Jun 2007
C. Donaldson "Ramorak" (England, UK) - See all my reviews
I originally started reading Vatta's War: Trading in danger because it was the only SF book my local bookshop had in that looked remotely appealing (and that I hadn't already read).

I am so glad I did. Vatta's War is turning out to be one of my favourite SF series and this, the fourth book, is almost impossible to put down (suffice to say I am running low on sleep ;))

As the series progresses numerous sub-plots and characters are evolving wonderfully, and unlike many books (including some bestsellers) I am drawn into every one of them, turning each page without a thought as I plunge towards each milestone.

Roll on Book 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting better..., 7 Sep 2008
I've enjoyed all the series, but the first three (for me) sufered a little too much from the main character's inability to get a move on and give up on the introspection; it was character development, but that didn't make it less irritating. Some is needed, too much gets frustrating.

This book is definitely the best so far; deserving of 4.5 stars. Good pace, all characters are believable; not afraid to follow their natures (finally). I still think the elderly lady (Aunt Grace) has the potential to be the best character, although I am not as convinced of that as I once was.

Ky and her cousin are stronger and more believeable in this story; Rafe too developes in interesting ways. The protagonist was obvious, really, as soon as we were introduced to him; my suspicions were arroused at the mere mention of his name and position - although I forget when exactly that occured. I remained open-minded as it could have been a bit of obvious double-bluffing. It wasn't

My only real criticism is that the events which occur, and certainly the culmination of the largest scale battle we have seen to date, seem a little contrived; they are, of course, but even so...

Despite my minor 'niggles' I can thoroughly recommend reading this book, but to get the best from it the series needs reading in order. In fact reading them out of order would disappoint because the others weren't as good. I did that with the Honor Harrington series and havn't been disappointed with any of the earlier books of the series I have read.

I will definitely be getting the fifth (sorry amazon, visiting waterstones tomorrow:P).

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Series, 22 Feb 2010
I wont give my version of the story but ...

Really great fun, good story well told. Nothing to make you think hard about new ideas. Easy to get started (some books take an age and a real struggle to get into - not this series). Then difficult to put down.

However, think of the series as a single large book and read them in the correct order. One excellent aspect about the series is that, unlike some multi-book series, the start of each book assumes you have read the previous book and does not spend ages recapping the story so far. Personally I hate it when you read the 2nd/3rd/4th book and you have to plough through loads of recapping the book before. In this series each book just continues directly from the end of the previous one making all 5 books like one book but split for convenience. So read them in the right order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
good

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 April 2014
This fourth book is as good if not better than the first three can't wait to start reading book five

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 7 Oct 2013
I love the Vatta books and actually find the protagonist more sympathetic that Weber's Honour Harrington, another female orientated space military series. The battles and characters are interesting, and the story moves along at a good pace.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, 21 Feb 2013
Bought the first one as a discarded library book and got completely hooked on the series.
The characters are really well worked out and given time to develop. The 'SF' part of the story is subtle, not one of those books that is blinding you with science. Very good story telling with enough detail to make it rich and colourful and so that you can almost taste and smell it. For me the only other SF author that created the same intensity was Ray Bradbury. I really loved the volumes 1 to 4. The 5th one is still good but feels oddly rushed in some parts and drawn out in others.

You need to start with the first one though, or it will be difficult to understand the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Space opera, 13 May 2012
John Ellaway (Ireland) - See all my reviews
Another good read. Some of the novels like the first have less action as they are setting the plot but this one is full of action and is, in some ways, better than the last in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars (Book 4) It does what it says on the tin..., 12 Feb 2011
M. Thompson "Mike Thompson" (London) - See all my reviews
This book was enjoyable, and is probably the slowest of the five books. Ky's experience and reputation begin to really grow. Her idea to actively defend what she believes in takes hold with others starting to follow, however all is not all roses as there are deaths and loses to contend with.

Stella also starts to blossom out in her experiences and also starts to find out what it can be like to be a parent looking after her younger cousin. Not only does the Vatta name resurface for trading, it also braches out, and as per the Vatta motto (trade and profit) it prospers.

Command Decision (Vatta's War)
Command Decision (Vatta's War) by Elizabeth Moon (Hardcover - 27 Feb 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01