Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 March 2012
Normally sleepless nights are due to worry about intruders or rats. However, after reading this book my wife and I couldn't sleep due to the concern that we had cupboards full of crisps, chocolate, sugar and all the other products of the modern food processing industry! I'd always known that sugar was bad. I'd always known that junk food lacked nutrition. But it never had an impact on my lifestyle. At 31 years of age, slim and reasonably healthy, I didn't see much to be worried about. GPs didn't help, with their own poor diets, they would tell me not to worry unless I was 40+ with a protruding belly!

But this wonderful book changed our life. It's been a month since my wife and I read the book and we haven't eaten a chocolate bar, pack of crisps, spoon of sugar or any other junk food. And we don't even crave them. We've started walking part of the journey to work... basically making health a priorty.

How did the book instigate this? Through inspiration. The first half of the book describes four of the longest living peoples on Earth. It was amazing learning about 100 year olds bounding up mountains, threading needles and remaining disease free. I don't want to spoil the fun as the most enjoyable part was reading about their lives. The second half then goes on to analyse the multi-farious reasons for their success and - in contrast - the terrible epidemic afflicting Westerners. Insights, such as the Western fear and negative stereotyping of old age were truly eye-opening.

Upon reading this book you'll realise that it's simply not inevitable that as you grow older, you get more ill and eventually die of a slow, painful delibating disease. But it is if you carry on a junk food diet and lifestyle. This book, with its overwhelming scientific evidence and inspiring anecdotes, will empower you to finally get your diet into line with what's actually good for you.
on 16 March 2008
Why do some people age in failing health and sadness, while others grow old with vitality and joy?

In this revolutionary book, bestselling author John Robbins presents us with a bold new paradigm of aging, showing us how we can increase not only our lifespan but also our health span. Through the example of four very different cultures that have the distinction of producing some of the world's healthiest, oldest people, Robbins reveals the secrets for living an extended and fulfilling life in which our later years become a period of wisdom, vitality, and happiness. From Abkhasia in the Caucasus south of Russia, where age is beauty, and Vilcabamba in the Andes of South America, where laughter is the greatest medicine, to Hunza in Central Asia, where dance is ageless, and finally the southern Japanese islands of Okinawa, the modern Shangri-la, where people regularly live beyond a century, Robbins examines how the unique lifestyles of these peoples can influence and improve our own.

Bringing the traditions of these ancient and vibrantly healthy cultures together with the latest breakthroughs in medical science, Robbins reveals that, remarkably, they both point in the same direction. The result is an inspirational synthesis of years of research into healthy aging in which Robbins has isolated the characteristics that will enable us to live long and-most important-joyous lives. With an emphasis on simple, wholesome, but satisfying fare, and the addition of a manageable daily exercise routine, many people can experience great improvement in the quality of their lives now and for many years to come. But perhaps more surprising is Robbins' discovery that it is not diet and exercise alone that helps people to live well past one hundred. The quality of personal relationships is enormously important. With startling medical evidence about the effects of our interactions with others, Robbins asserts that loneliness has more impact on lifespan than such known vices as smoking. There is clearly a strong beneficial power to love and connection.
on 7 December 2011
John Robbins brings diet, health, lifestyle and longevity together in this beautifully written book. It's captivating right from the first chapters, where he discusses the health secrets of the longest lived cultures in the world. There is lots of scientific evidence here, but it never gets in the way of readability: it's a real page-turner. There are also great chapters on diet, exercise and the importance of relationships, all backed up with evidence you'll find fascinating. Who'd have thought lifting weights would radically improve the wellbeing of people in old people's homes! The book might change your whole approach to health and lifestyle, it has done for both myself and a friend I lent it to.
on 20 May 2010
Nice to raed a book that is written with balance for a change. The author describes the many health benefits that can be gained from a super healthy diet and lifestyle, without dramatising the subject and without "shouting and screaming" at the reader as I find a lot of health writers do.
Would recomend to anyone that is level headed and wants to learn a lot about how to live a long and healthy life.
Great book.
Douglas.
on 27 July 2009
A Fascinating exploration of cultures unspoilt by western dietary habits. A Must Read for anyone hunting for good health books.
on 8 March 2014
Really excellent book, extremely inspiring. I will definitely be buying more of this author's work. At 60 years old I suddenly have the potential to be looking at at least another 30 to 40 years if I put the ideas into practise!!!
on 5 June 2014
This is a good place to start for anyone interested in better health. Well written and entertaining as well. John Robbins gives a great overview of healthy living from an historic global perspective, then points the way forward for implentating the lessons in our modern lives. Excellent book!
on 24 October 2012
I am into nutrition and really do believe that what you eat has a massive impact on your health and modifying my diet has helped me relieve joint pain, achieve better asthma control, reduce cholesterol, lose weight without feeling hungry and improve my immunity system. This book is good as it looks at long lived healthy populations around the world and analyses what they are doing right with their diets and other aspects of their lives.
on 13 May 2013
Excellent reading. Interesting if somewhat slow start but by the time I got to Part 2 I couldn't put it down, it has completely changed some of the food that I eat, I had already started on a healthier food regime a year or so back but this takes it to another level. A must read. I am in the process if buying more copies for friends. If you are interested in health and life buy it.
on 29 April 2011
A book for everybody.
Interesting, informative, easy to read. I bought several copies (some translated) for family and friends.
If you haven't read them yet, I also recommend `Diet for a New America' & `The Food Revolution'