5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent book for parents.
Published on 12 Oct. 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars ... but the points and advice are valid and very useful!
Very aimed at the american market but the points and advice are valid and very useful!
Published 8 months ago by nicola croome

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an excellent book for parents., 12 Oct. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Positive Discipline (Paperback)
This book is well worth finding. It sets out clearly how to bring up children with warmth and compassion. It helps you break the cycle of "pain, shame and blame". Parents and children will end up happier. The really positive part is the description of "Best Things/Worst Things" to go through with your child at bedtime. All kinds of funny, sad and important issues get to be discussed where before they probably wouldn't have been. The Family Conferences I wasn't so sure about. But generally this book is excellent.

4.0 out of 5 stars This book helps immediately..., 2 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Positive Discipline (Paperback)
I have had a much happier and more enjoyable relationship with my daughter (only child) since beginning to read this book and at time of writing I am only half way through. Reading Positive Discipline helps you and your kid/s to feel as though you are 'on the same side' and as though you are improving together rather than having to have power struggles all the time with one of you coming out the 'winner'.

The shortest message of the book is to 'empower rather than discourage'... And I would have thought that I could have worked that out for myself and implemented it on a daily basis.... but this book points out inevitable parental weaknesses and has helped me to enable and reinforce the "empower, don't discourage" approach ten fold. Most of all I want our child to have good self-esteem and problem-solving capabilities, and this book will help us to give her those qualities.

I am not a regular book reviewer but I thought this book was worth the effort as I am certain most families will benefit from reading it. I only give it four stars rather than five as - here and there - there are just a few things I don't entirely agree with but for the most part it's brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars thought provoking, 16 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Positive Discipline (Paperback)
A very informative, powerful, thought provoking read.. trying to rethink and change entrenched ideads with regards to teaching children valuable lessons for life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 May 2014
U. Parkes (Sydney, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Positive Discipline (Paperback)
I have read many books - I have a child with special needs, but this book made so much sense and I thought it was simple brilliant. A must for every parent to read. It turns some things that you have learnt on its head, and it will answer other questions that you couldn't before. Great book - highly recommend you buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars To read and read again!, 24 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Positive Discipline (Paperback)
Can a book help us love our children more? I think so.
The ideas are similar to other best sellers: How To Parent and How To Talk So Kids Will Listen; it's just another way of illustrating those ideas: helping children to become independent and self-confident; being firm and kind, and most of all, being respectful.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, 9 May 2011
D. Armstrong - See all my reviews
This review is from: Positive Discipline (Paperback)
Quite simply one of the best books on bringing up children I have ever read. As soon as you start implementing the ideas in this book they work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for parents, 25 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Positive Discipline (Paperback)
This book explains very well and with practical steps how to raise a child - in positive and ecouraging way - to be respectful, kind, willing to find solutions for problems. It's easy to read and the methods described in it are effective in practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best parenting book I've ever read, 9 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Positive Discipline (Paperback)
Practical and intuitive, I have found the strategies in this book highly effective. It gets to the heart of what motivates children - intrinsically - and helps you to bring it out of them. I'm astonished at how well it's worked on my children - they now do everything I've ever wanted them to do without me having to "ask a hundred thousand times". I haven't had my usual power struggles with my extremely strong willed daughter and my usually very reliant son is now doing everything all by his big self! If you want to bring up children to be happy, confident and self-reliant individuals (and feel very proud of yourself in the process), this is the book to read. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended., 5 Aug. 2014
Best parenting book I've read so far. Wish I had read it or the earlier ages books when my now six year old was pushing all my buttons. I could relate to something on nearly every page and it made me recognise my own behaviour in the cycle of tantrums. It was a revelation to consider that time outs didn't have to be in a room without toys but in fact talking to a child when they have calmed down in their own safe place was far more effective.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for 21st century parents., 26 April 2015
As a parent I felt frustrated because my toddler did not just do everything I demanded and I tried to accomplish this through endless promises of rewards and threats to withhold those same rewards. Needless to say, it did not work. I implemented the principles advocated by this book as I read through it and I reaped the benefits from the first page. This book will work for all parents who do not wish to rule through fear and punishment. It will tell you how to have a relationship with your children based on mutual respect and love.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Positive Discipline
Positive Discipline by Jane Nelson (Paperback - 10 May 2013)